Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Mileage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
Just put 14.7 gallons in today. My first fill up since comming back from RRC!!!

Let's see, filled up in Barstow, drove to Running Ssprings(84 miles), drove to Riverside(37 miles), and then 14 miles a day for 12 days (168 miles).

+168
289 Miles!!

That's aproximently 20 MPG!!

aktion035.gif

Way better than my 4x4 pickup at 7 MPG! huh.gif
Crazyhippy
I did vegas to Simi Valley (just over 300 miles) on a tank coming back from RRC. Had some LONG streches over 100 in there too biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Hmm, that's not so great.

my hopped up carb'ed 2.0L gets 25 MPG if I keep my foot out of it and cruise 75-80 MPH.

Eric_Shea
Let's see, filled up in Barstow, rode on the AAA flatbed to Running Ssprings(84 miles), AAA flatbed to Riverside(37 miles), and then another flatbed tow 14 miles a day for 12 days (168 miles).

And your point is...? confused24.gif
bd1308
I just dont care. Even if it got 15MPG, its still worlds better than my overgeared Jeep Wrangler. It got 12MPG on the highway. oh it was a four cylinder too
jd66921
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 10 2006, 09:45 AM) *

Let's see, filled up in Barstow, drove to Running Ssprings(84 miles), drove to Riverside(37 miles), and then 14 miles a day for 12 days (168 miles).

+168
289 Miles!!

That's aproximently 20 MPG!!

aktion035.gif

Way better than my 4x4 pickup at 7 MPG! huh.gif

I got about 20- 24 mpg on my trip to and from RRC.

I think that's pretty bad, but I think I know why. I have a variable resistor in
place of the CHT sensor in the fuel injection system. It is normally set to about
1.8 k ohms, which is very cold (rich?). The car runs cool at that setting, but I
don't know what else I am doing to the engine. It runs hot (>400 degrees CHT)
otherwise.

You need another category, I get lousy mileage and know why!! smile.gif

Jeff
TonyAKAVW
I'm not sure yet what I'm getting with my Subaru conversion, but I'm expecting to get similar to what Evan (Mongrel GS) gets with his nearly identical engine. He's getting 35-37 mpg city and around 40 on the highway.

My car has no sound deadening materials, fiberglass bumpers and eventually will have fiberglass hoods. That should take me below 2000 lbs which I am pretty sure is lighter than Evan's car. So I might get a slight improvement around town.

-Tony

edit: my pickup truck gets 25 mpg on the highway and the TT gets about 20 mpg overall.
MoveQik
Last year coming home from RRC I got right at 28MPG with my stock 1.8 running pretty hard.

This year...mileage not so good happy11.gif but I made good time!
Toast
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 10 2006, 10:00 AM) *

my hopped up carb'ed 2.0L gets 25 MPG if I keep my foot out of it and cruise 75-80 MPH.

I have 2.0 Djet and my driving consists of in-town driving, and sometimes mountain. So for the constant stop and go and the grades and twisties of the mountain, I still think that 20mpg is still pretty good.

*I had a loose valve on that tank of gas and my idle was real high at 1600rpm too! *
skline
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 10 2006, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 10 2006, 10:00 AM) *

I have 2.0 Ljet and my driving consists of in-town driving, and sometimes mountain. So for the constant stop and go and the grades and twisties of the mountain, I still think that 20mpg is still pretty good.

*I had a loose valve on that tank of gas and my idle was real high at 1600rpm too! *

If you put the D-Jet that it is supposed to have on there, it might get better than with the L-jet from a 1.8. biggrin.gif
Toast
Uh, yea. rolleyes.gif How about I just change the post to list the correct FI setup that I have. rolleyes.gif Sounds like less hassle to me. tongue.gif
Toast
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 10 2006, 10:02 AM) *

Let's see, filled up in Barstow, rode on the AAA flatbed to Running Ssprings(84 miles), AAA flatbed to Riverside(37 miles), and then another flatbed tow 14 miles a day for 12 days (168 miles).

And your point is...? confused24.gif

slap.gif
I received a letter from AAA advising me that I am almost out of tows (membership just renewed in August!) and that any future tows over 100 I will be charged the difference. Sheesh! rolleyes.gif
turboman808
I don't think I even get 10mpg

If I drive my car to work one day that $15 in tolls and during the summer $20 in gas. mad.gif

I really got to bite the bullet and move to Jersey already biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
I prefer to look at it in terms of SPG (smiles per gallon), and not MPG. biggrin.gif
In those unquantifiable terms, I am consistantly running in the high 100's. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
D-jet?

not with my cam.
Never met a D-jet systems that I really liked. However Derek's seems to be the closest to livable.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 10 2006, 10:03 AM) *

I received a letter from AAA advising me that I am almost out of tows (membership just renewed in August!) and that any future tows over 100 I will be charged the difference. Sheesh! rolleyes.gif

Toast, I am sure they are preparing a picture of your car for the DO NOT TOW list biggrin.gif

and on the subject.............Since I have owned my car, I have never once calculated my gas mileage. I always think about, but always forget where my odometer was when I last filled up, and my tripometer is busted. sad.gif But then again, I drive my car like it's stolen, so i don't really care about gas mileage. smile.gif
slivel
I get about 6 MPG.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(slivel @ Oct 10 2006, 04:00 PM) *

I get about 6 MPG.

Me too. went through over 1/2 a tank 38 hot laps @ 1.8 miles per lap. Near the end of the day the low gas light just stayed on. Good thing they had gas at the track.
DerekKim
Me Derek? Yeah I am happy with the power of my car. Enough to beat the ricers off the line but not enough to get me or my baby hurt. Just right.

Like John I would have to run on SPG also. Not because of bad mileage though, but because the odometer doesn't work haha aww sad.gif. I would say it's pretty decent. Heck I thought I was running on 4/4 and I was running on 3/4 this whole time. Went a whole week driving every day. I love it.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Oct 10 2006, 11:04 PM) *

Me Derek? Yeah I am happy with the power of my car. Enough to beat the ricers off the line but not enough to get me or my baby hurt. Just right.

Like John I would have to run on SPG also. Not because of bad mileage though, but because the odometer doesn't work haha aww sad.gif. I would say it's pretty decent. Heck I thought I was running on 4/4 and I was running on 3/4 this whole time. Went a whole week driving every day. I love it.

Derek, your car makes enough power to turn your rear brake rotor into burning slag and still keep up to freeway traffic.
Probably was hell on the MPG average though. blink.gif
DerekKim
Lol that probably killed it. Haven't started it up since then. I have had it parked so I don't break anything else for right now. I'm pretty sure I have an odometer cable. I should replace it. I am very curious to know the exact MPG... or more exact.

Do people do things to their teeners(other than electric car) to up their MPG? I wouldn't think so but just curious.
Joe Ricard
Tune up?
and a header
and a Mallory ignition
and put a stone in your sock to keep you from mashing down on the gas pedal?
DerekKim
Oh yeah you said seomthing about a tune up right? I will PM you after we have the brake issue taken care of. I don't want to get ahed of myself and be overwhelmed. A more free flowing header? Should I get a new muffler too? Did we ever figure out what my muffler is or from?? I can understand the more flow for more power and better mileage. I use to do the K&N and magnaflow upgrades at my old job.
HeloMech
QUOTE(Toast @ Oct 10 2006, 09:45 AM) *

Isn't that going to put added weight on your jackstands?
poke.gif
JoeSharp
You want good mileage, go to dual singles. Thomas and Linda (both 1.7's) are getting over 40 on the highway. Thats with out changing the cam.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
dmenche914
Higher compression ratio can increase efficency,
sportlicherFahrer
Wow. I usually see about 370-430 miles per tank on the odometer. Subtract the 10% for tire size, and that is 340-390 or roughly 24-26 mpg. Good mix of spirited driving/freeway/stop-and-go traffic.
Sammy
Off boost I get at least 25 mpg from my 3 liter.
On boost? prolly closer to 7 mpg.
Greg808
Just came back from FFC got 32.4 mpg and averaged 64.4 mph.
It's a 71 1.7 d-jet thumb3d.gif
ThinAir
Finally got my teener back on the road today for the first time since RRC so I could finally fill up and do the math. 903 miles total with an average of 28.72 mpg.

Flagstaff to Moab was 30.4 mpg with a speed of 70 mph most of the way.
Moab to Flagstaff was 75 mph most of the way. I got 31.44 from Moab to Kayenta, but only 26.68 from Kayenta to Flagstaff. That climb up to 7,000 feet really kills the mileage!

This is with a 73 2.0L with flat-top euro pistons, set to 8.2:1 compression, stock D-Jet and a slightly hi-performance cam. The plugs look like it's running a bit rich, but I haven't yet dug into what I can do about it. There's not much variability available with the stock FI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.