Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for 914-6 types
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I recently bought a 914 with a 3.2 six. Unfortunately the alternator or V. regulator are going bad. Volts vary from 12 to 14 and occasionally spike to 17. Not good. Either way, the alternator needs to come out. Have any of you removed the alternator? If so, did you pull the engine to do it? Can it be done with the engine in the car and minimal clearance between the firewall? Have any of you cut an access panel in the firewall to allow easier access to the alternator to change the V belt or set timing? If you have, post a pic if you have one.
Cheers, Elliot
Porsche Rescue
I have pulled alternator on 2.7 in car. Not too bad. Intake system must come off because engine shroud must be removed before removing fan/alternator. If you have carbs it is only an hour or so. If fuel injection, I'm not sure.
GeorgeRud
Someone had once posted an alternator change with the engine in the car, but it was a very close shot to get it past the firewall. I've also had to change a 2.7 (same basic shrouding, etc.), and found it to be a reasonable chore aster the top of the engine comes off. Much, much easier in the 911 the engine was designed for.

BTW, I've heard that some people are going back to the old style external regulators because of problems with the internal regulators on the later 911 Motorola alternators.

As far as the fanbelt situation, it's a lot of patience and a fair amount of swearing but it can be done without dropping the engine. I'm not sure if the total project wouldn't almost be faster with the following steps:

1. Drop engine
2. Replace alternator and fan belt
3. Replace engine

Also, be sure all your connections behind the alternator are good and tight and the ground strap is well connected. Please, don't ask me why I give this advice or why I know the alternator comes out with the top of the engine removed.
ClayPerrine
You can do it with the engine in the car. There is a thread in the classics that tells how.

I used it to do mine....

Alternator R&R Classic Thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.