Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Say a prayer for Fritz....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Keep positive thoughts for Fritz, our 911 track car. Tomorrow we run the diagnostic on the 3.6 993 motor to see why the sudden power loss at Thunderhill last month. The whole motor sounds like a giant air pump.

I'll update once we have some results back.

Bill P.
nine14cats
Symptoms.....

Running fine all day at the track. During the long straight at Thunderhill under full throttle the car suddenly loses power and cannot rev past 3500RPM. I coast around and pull into the pits.

Car is running hot (240 deg)....oil pressure lower than usual...2.5 bar versus 4.5+...slight plume of white "something" coming from oil tank and breather.

I drain some oil. No metal to be seen.

We will take compression and leakdown, as well as cut open the oil filter. We will plug the ECU into the computer to read error codes.

Some have said it's a computer shutdown for an error code. Others believe it's bent valves based on the cams shifting due to no keyway on this model of motor.

Based on the above, offer up your opinions....We'll report back with what we find!

Gotta have fun with a bad situation!

Bill P.

P.S. it's not really fun...but I'm trying not to be a pessimist. But I was in the car and my butt dyno says something mechanical.... blink.gif

Brad Roberts
I *might* be able to bring the Porsche System Tester II with me for the Boxster and the 993 engine.. if need be.

I can read the codes also.

B
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 11 2006, 02:04 PM) *

Symptoms.....

Running fine all day at the track. During the long straight at Thunderhill under full throttle the car suddenly loses power and cannot rev past 3500RPM. I coast around and pull into the pits.

Car is running hot (240 deg)....oil pressure lower than usual...2.5 bar versus 4.5+...slight plume of white "something" coming from oil tank and breather.

I drain some oil. No metal to be seen.

We will take compression and leakdown, as well as cut open the oil filter. We will plug the ECU into the computer to read error codes.

Some have said it's a computer shutdown for an error code. Others believe it's bent valves based on the cams shifting due to no keyway on this model of motor.

Based on the above, offer up your opinions....We'll report back with what we find!

Gotta have fun with a bad situation!

Bill P.

P.S. it's not really fun...but I'm trying not to be a pessimist. But I was in the car and my butt dyno says something mechanical.... blink.gif

Based upon no major metal noise I'm hoping the computer went into "limp" mode because of a sensor going haywire or something small like that. smile.gif

grantsfo
I'll say a prayer for Fritz if you say one for my 914-6. I blew something on my last runs at Infineon Friday.
Brad Roberts
It cuts back on the timing, but still runs fine in "limp" mode.

B
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 11 2006, 03:40 PM) *

I'll say a prayer for Fritz if you say one for my 914-6. I blew something on my last runs at Infineon Friday.

Ouch...sorry to hear that Grant...I'll be thinking good thoughs about your motor.

I'm kinda excited to hear about the diagnosis on Fritz.

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 11 2006, 03:42 PM) *

It cuts back on the timing, but still runs fine in "limp" mode.

B

How does the ECU get reset?

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
You have to clear the codes with the PSTII. Same with the Boxster. They have "code readers" out there for cheap, but only the PSTII/III can clear them or ABS faults.

The PSTII/III is awesome. I can honk the horn with it.. LOL it does data logging on multiple channels also. I can drive the car and gather data to poor over looking for a fault.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.