Full Version: GGR AX #9 at Alameda
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2, 3
grantsfo
Whoooo Hooo!
Trekkor
Das Schplitter...

Demick
Chris was providing ballast in the pass seat. I think he helped balance the car since I went faster with him riding along!
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 30 2006, 09:10 AM) *

Whoooo Hooo

From the bumper to the ground looks like an 8" to 10" difference between the front and back.

Talk about weight shift! blink.gif

Must have been interesting to drive. biggrin.gif

Does the car have coil overs in the front that could easily be changed?

If so, you'd need some super serious springs to counter that weight shift -
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 30 2006, 09:53 AM) *

Whoooo Hooo

From the bumper to the ground looks like an 8" to 10" difference between the front and back.

It's the stock suspension just 25% more firm than a standard Mazda 6 so there's a lot of slop. It's hilarious to drive and very surprising at the same time even with the weigh transfer. Joe Weinstein and Nathan rode with me and I think they were both surprised too. That picture is at a threshold braking point where ABS is activating. It does have incredible stoppers.

There is one company who makes coilovers for the car currently (Autoexe) and they cost a mint ($2100). I'm talking to a few people about getting custom coilovers with spring rates that help tame the weight transfer. There isnt a huge aftermarket as Mazda only makes a few thousand of these cars a year.

Once I get suspension buttoned down and some sticky tires on this car it will be an AX sleeper.
Trekkor
Check to see if Eibach offers a spring package.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 30 2006, 10:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 30 2006, 09:53 AM) *

Whoooo Hooo

It's the stock suspension just 25% more firm than a standard Mazda 6 so there's a lot of slop. It's hilarious to drive and very surprising at the same time even with the weigh transfer. Joe Weinstein and Nathan rode with me and I think they were both surprised too. That picture is at a threshold braking point where ABS is activating. It does have incredible stoppers.

There is one company who makes coilovers for the car currently (Autoexe) and they cost a mint ($2100). I'm talking to a few people about getting custom coilovers with spring rates that help tame the weight transfer. There isnt a huge aftermarket as Mazda only makes a few thousand of these cars a year.

Once I get suspension buttoned down and some sticky tires on this car it will be an AX sleeper.

I love seeing big cars lay down good times. Fun to watch, so hope you go forward with your project.

How you and Nathan (in the Spooningmobile) got around that last "slow down" section was amazing.
Trekkor
Tire Rack upgrade garage

Quite a few options...

KT
DanT
Maybe Grant would like to spend the money on his 914-6 and keep the MazdaSpeed6 as a nice cruiser?

Spend the cash on the racecar (racecar backwards and forwards) Grant, I think you will get more enjoyment that way...

Plus it is entertaining to see you out in the MazdaSpeed in stock form.. it wouldn't be the same with a trick suspension now would it? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I want Grant to focus on the 914-6 as well.

We talked about getting a good used 3.0 instead of the 2.4S, twin plug, high compression winter build.

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 30 2006, 10:29 AM) *

Tire Rack upgrade garage

Quite a few options...

KT

This is going way OT, so sorry: Tire rack is infamous for selling stuff not designed for specific car when several models exist. All those parts are for the Mazda 6 and not truly designed for the heavier AWD Mazdaspeed. A few Mazdaspeed 6 pioneers have already learned the hardway. The Eibachs listed on Tirerack have been installed with less then acceptable results sagging rear end, etc. The H&R's are for the Mazda 6 too. They will work but they dont have the proper spring rate for the rear.

I will be tame with the MS6 as it has been pointed out I need to have my 914 ready for next year. biggrin.gif
nebreitling
drag launches out of the turn -- look at that squat!
Chris Pincetich
I love photos! Here's me & Demick. Lookin at this photo, my Dunlops were rollin over a bit in the rear at 32 psi...I checked the wear pattern often but had no idea it looked like this at speed. Demick said they performed well for street tires... the wear on the side is still 0.25" from the "wear indicator" bead line around the side. I think its all gud. beerchug.gif
DanT
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 30 2006, 03:13 PM) *

I love photos! Here's me & Demick. Lookin at this photo, my Dunlops were rollin over a bit in the rear at 32 psi...I checked the wear pattern often but had no idea it looked like this at speed. Demick said they performed well for street tires... the wear on the side is still 0.25" from the "wear indicator" bead line around the side. I think its all gud. beerchug.gif

Street tires for AX should be at the maximum inflation pressure on the sidewall or possibly 2pounds higher. With that much roll over the suspension takes one set and then the tire rolls over a bit more and takes a second set. Street tires have very soft side walls compared to competition DOT Rs....
I run my Kumho Victoracer 205s at 27 front and rear. If I ran my 195 Michelins on the car I would run them at at least 34-36 PSI.

Car would be much more predictable with a little more air pressure biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Results: http://www.pca-ggr.org/acresults/102806.html

I accomplished my goal of putting the Mazda in the top 50% and I beat that Lotus Elise! Well it was a great season. See you all next year! ....I'm hoping to have a car that will put me in the running for top 10 at GGR events next year.

DanT
Like Grant said, results are out and 914s were in the top 16% overall again.
Trekkor, Demick, myself and of course AndrewB.
4 914s in the top 17 out of 108.
Not to mention a couple of drivers driving a certain newly built Spec Boxster. smile.gif
BillP and Randal finished 5th and 6th for their first event out of the box.

Check out the high HP newer cars that finished behind us....
Trekkor
I'm still celebrating mueba.gif

If I only had 1st gear headbang.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 31 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Not to mention a couple of drivers driving a certain newly built Spec Boxster. smile.gif

Lets be honest. This was a 914 course all the way. The turn out of start finish was such that a light weight 914 could have a faster exit speed onto the straight. And there was plenty of room to run at the start box even in a 100 hp car or those with no 1st gear. I couldnt use my power approaching the start timing lights. The jog in the middle of the straight allowed lighter cars to just hang on and continue to accelerate. I had to lift to get around that jog. Then at the end of the straight the course turned into a very slow and technical section. I think return section actually favored high HP cars in some places. The final section was tailor made for narrow body 914.

Dan to his credit designed a course that nulified advatage of high HP cars and made it fun at the same time. It was a perfect course as it put more emphasis on driving skill than car capability. To an inexpericed eye it may have looked like a HP course, but it really put a premium on exit speeds from corners. It was a perfect course to end the season. Wish I had had my 914!

Some how Nathan and I in big street cars did manage to beat a few of those 85 hp 914's biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 31 2006, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 31 2006, 04:44 PM) *

Lets be honest. This was a 914 course all the way. The turn out of start finish was such that a light weight 914 could have a faster exit speed onto the straight. And there was plenty of room to run at the start box even in a 100 hp car or those with no 1st gear. I couldnt use my power approaching the start timing lights. The jog in the middle of the straight allowed lighter cars to just hang on and continue to accelerate. I had to lift to get around that jog. Then at the end of the straight the course turned into a very slow and technical section. I think return section actually favored high HP cars in some places. The final section was tailor made for narrow body 914.

Dan to his credit designed a course that nulified advatage of high HP cars and made it fun at the same time. It was a perfect course as it put more emphasis on driving skill than car capability. To an inexpericed eye it may have looked like a HP course, but it really put a premium on exit speeds from corners. It was a perfect course to end the season. Wish I had had my 914!

Some how Nathan and I in big street cars did manage to beat a few of those 85 hp 914's biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif driving.gif
Trekkor
Whenever someone says, "that's a 914 course".

I like to say back to them, "of course it is, they all are" mueba.gif

KT
grantsfo
QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 31 2006, 09:54 PM) *

Whenever someone says, "that's a 914 course".

I like to say back to them, "of course it is, they all are" mueba.gif

KT

Isnt that the truth. Short of making a big oval there are few AX courses that dont favor well driven lightwieght cars.
nebreitling
everyone thinks they're the underdog... lol..
Chris Hamilton
I'd like to say thanks to Bill and Randal for their congrats. We're looking forward to seeing that 914.

We'll also be upping the ante for next season. We're working on a few ways to make the car look even worse while going faster.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Nov 1 2006, 09:47 PM) *

I'd like to say thanks to Bill and Randal for their congrats. We're looking forward to seeing that 914.

We'll also be upping the ante for next season. We're working on a few ways to make the car look even worse while going faster.

Chris...I think you guys should put a Can Am scoop over Andrews helmet or maybe some antlers made out of PVC pipe on the front hood...now that would give the car a distinctive look!.... av-943.gif

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Nov 1 2006, 09:47 PM) *

Hi Chris,

You're going to make the guys at GGR cry and force them into establishing a dress code.

They love making rule changes! wacko.gif

We're looking forward to next year as well. Should be fun.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 30 2006, 02:47 PM) *

drag launches out of the turn -- look at that squat!

AHHHHHH... Photoshop out the cones and lose the people and you're a latter day Steve McQueen racing after some bad guy... clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.