Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Hwk for class
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlo914
So for "Introduction to Graphic Designs & Advertising" we just got assigned a new project to advertise a car and make a billboard ad campaign consisting of 4 ads total. I've done two so far. I'm going w/ the "Sheep in wolf's clothing" for the new VW GTi.
dlo914
and another idea i was toying around with biggrin.gif
dlo914
3rd ad from the "Sheep in wolf's clothing" campaign:
McMark
HEY! I made a RoadGlue image too!! mueba.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 12 2006, 06:09 PM) *

HEY! I made a RoadGlue image too!! mueba.gif

chairfall.gif i like your's better, but i think im onto something w/ the "sheep in wolf's clothing" lets just hope my professor thinks the same. blink.gif
jd74914
i like the one with the sheep clap56.gif
Tobra
Favorite VW ad ever, she has a tat of a bunny there, just not that style
Front cover was the girls looking out the window

Click to view attachment
dlo914
ive seen that one before drooley.gif VW ads are always very clever and fun.
dlo914
i redid the first ad:
dlo914
any suggestions that would go w/ the "sheep in wolf's clothing" theme? im pooped out of ideas yawn.gif
dlo914
i love VW ads:
IPB Image
IPB Image
or this VW commercial
not a real ad:
dlo914
touch up of the first one:
cbenitah
I like your idea, go further with it. Advertising is all about being out there but not to obvious. Right now your Layout is all over the place. Try to work off the grid. make a 3 colum grid and make it more balanced. its a little heavy to the right of the page. the VW logo doesnt have to be that big. a small suddle logo in the corner is fine. you are already showing of their car, no need to make it big. Were you making a bilboard or just a magazine ad? if its a billboard then its the wrong shape biggrin.gif

Think less is more..

Thumbnails and Thumbnails.. That is the key. Easy to make changes and then lots to choose from.

Good Luck
So.Cal.914
I believe that the VW emblem is the moon, nice touch but maybe a little more halo

so I am not the only one that knows. biggrin.gif

I think those VW's are more like a wolf in wolf's clothing compaired to my old 55 bug, and

the pig's would be running in fear.

Daniel Lo AKA D-Lo =)

They call me P-low and not because I am vertically challenged

dlo914
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 12 2006, 11:40 PM) *

I like your idea, go further with it. Advertising is all about being out there but not to obvious. Right now your Layout is all over the place. Try to work off the grid. make a 3 colum grid and make it more balanced. its a little heavy to the right of the page. the VW logo doesnt have to be that big. a small suddle logo in the corner is fine. you are already showing of their car, no need to make it big. Were you making a bilboard or just a magazine ad? if its a billboard then its the wrong shape biggrin.gif

Think less is more..

Thumbnails and Thumbnails.. That is the key. Easy to make changes and then lots to choose from.

Good Luck

Thanks! i do thumbnails while in class for just brainstorming. A grid, as in divide the canvas into 3 equal portions? I C how that would definitely help in my case. They're billboards, but billboards come in a variety of sizes other than the normal 12'x24'. Yup less is always more. The more you put into an ad the more distracting it becomes and the consumer doesnt read it right a way. Other than that i've gotta come up w/ a 3 ad campaign. All the ads have to relate or have one theme (i.e. the ipod ads where you see the ipod is highlighted and the person is just a black image w/ a single bright color background)
cbenitah
I can see your train of thoughts there..

As for the moon, stay away from glows.. they are not looked at as a good design touch, just an advice..

Yes, divide the canvas into three portions and lay it out so you have the same amount of info in each part. remember white space is important for the eye and counts as a part of the whole, you dont have to put something into all the three parts (not all the way up if that makes sense)

thumbnails can be more than brainstorming.. make quick sketches and see what you come up with, we have to do 50-100 different ones for class...

As for ipod, they use color as their thread. colorful backgrounds and white ipod, not much text, which is important for a billboard, unless you are driving my car on the highway you won't have time to read the text.. If I were you I would make it suddle, a white background with just the car, maybe even just the wheel (or similar part) and something that indicates your "sheap idea"
So.Cal.914
Isn't calling it a sheep putting into the flock with all the other cars?

Thats one bad lookin little car and a wolf would pray on the sheep.

Just a thought. burnout.gif
dlo914
surprisingly i barely started using photoshop. In the past i would just use Microsoft Paint & Irfanview to alter and create images. The shirts ive done in the past were done w/ those two programs. But yeah my favorite tool on PS is the stamp tool. I actually prefer PS over Illustrator.
cbenitah
Here is what I was trying to say.. Made it little quick, but maybe you get my idea of being suddle.. you could do a much better job if you spend some time on it.. Just an idea...

Hope it helps,

(Don't pay attention to the typography, just a place holder, didnt take the time to find your font)
dlo914
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 13 2006, 01:17 AM) *

Here is what I was trying to say.. Made it little quick, but maybe you get my idea of being suddle.. you could do a much better job if you spend some time on it.. Just an idea...

Hope it helps,

(Don't pay attention to the typography, just a place holder, didnt take the time to find your font)

that's more than clear clap56.gif much thanks! i had a friend tell me to do the same thing but i didnt know how to put it.
dlo914
took your idea to use a white background:
dlo914
my take on this one to bring in the sheepness:
cbenitah
didnt know how to put it or make it? mine isnt very good, but it could be done good.. you could go in and make the sheep skin peal off into a gti.. and then form your campaign around that.. it could be a wolf on the othe side too..

just trying to get you working over there biggrin.gif
dlo914
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 13 2006, 01:32 AM) *

didnt know how to put it or make it? mine isnt very good, but it could be done good.. you could go in and make the sheep skin peal off into a gti.. and then form your campaign around that.. it could be a wolf on the othe side too..

just trying to get you working over there biggrin.gif

not that experienced w/ PS...wish i knew how to make a peeling effect or the unwrapping effect. THANKS ALOT though...this has gotten my creative juices going again, if only it wasnt 1:30am PST.
cbenitah
Be careful now.. I like the way you are thinking about it but it must make more sense.. a sheep bigger than the git isnt a good idea, then it will make the car tiny..

shadows are important.. your car on white is flying in the air.. my shadow wasnt very good but its grounded..
dlo914
all these posts...got AIM? im me at aznSEguy smile.gif
cbenitah
its the same time just south of you.. working on an ad for my class in the morning.. but i have Miracle Grow to work with. not so much fun.

Glad I could help out. good luck and dont forget to show the finished product..

Its not that hard.. Search tutorials on google, or something similar.. its out there for you to grab..
TINCAN914
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 13 2006, 02:17 AM) *

Hope it helps,

This was the idea I was thinking of. Can you wrap the car in a sheep wool, with a zipper on the top of the car and the front end protruding (sp) through it? Keeps with the wolf in sheeps clothing idea.. just a thought.
So.Cal.914
I don't get it, the GTI is like the sport model and they have modeled it to look

sporty. It doesn't look like a sheep, a sheep is a passive stupid animal and as

VW I would not want my sport model being compaired to a passive stupid animal.

IMHO you are heading in the wrong direction. I mentioned this last night, I will

say it just one time and shut up. Wolf it brings to mind a fierce, swift, and

and powerful animal praying on the weak and unexpecting. Does it really look

like a sheep to you.
Aaron Cox
wolf in sheeps clothing - stealthful, and powerful, but hiding amongst its prey....

So.Cal.914
I get what he is saying Aaron but did VW make it look stealthful and like it could

hide amongst it's pray. With those rims and airdam, foglights it looks like it

would $hit fire and lay rubber. But what do I know.
Aaron Cox
ok... so Dlorider's motto may not fit 100%....

car looks tame but is a beast? but you have some good points paul
dlo914
where i came upon the term:
dlo914
further down the page:
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 13 2006, 10:32 AM) *

further down the page:

OK Pocket Rocket fit's and if you read the line below what you hi-lighted it

basicly says -We would not say that it wears sheeps threads.... Even they

stepped back from the Wolf in sheeps clothing approach. confused24.gif
dlo914
k, imma go eat something. i'll come back w/ more ideas. i'm considering all options. smile.gif
So.Cal.914
This is no contest, I won't win anything I am just trying to help. In this case

you can tell me to fuch myself and I won't take offense. My brother in laws

Mercedes S 600 is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looks like any other Benz, four door

but with the 12 cylinder it is a fuchin rocket ship.
slacy
You guys know that the Golfs (i.e. GTi/GTI/Rabbit) were all made in Wolfsburg, right? (Until production moved to Mexico).

VW has had a fascination with the "Wolf" thing for a long time. Search around for "Wolfsburg edition" which is a designation of their "special editions". The old VW bug's had a Wolfsburg crest in their steering wheel as well.

Maybe you could incorporate some of that old imagery? I like the wolf and the castle...
So.Cal.914
The "Old" bugs had a wolfsburg crest on the lower part of the front hood. Both

my 55 and 57 had one, the 55 had one in 5 colors.
dlo914
QUOTE(slacy @ Oct 13 2006, 05:38 PM) *

You guys know that the Golfs (i.e. GTi/GTI/Rabbit) were all made in Wolfsburg, right? (Until production moved to Mexico).

VW has had a fascination with the "Wolf" thing for a long time. Search around for "Wolfsburg edition" which is a designation of their "special editions". The old VW bug's had a Wolfsburg crest in their steering wheel as well.

Maybe you could incorporate some of that old imagery? I like the wolf and the castle...

yeah i was thinking about that idea and began looking up images of the wolfsburg badge. Unfortunately the wolf looks more like a cat than a wolf. IPB Image
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Oct 13 2006, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(slacy @ Oct 13 2006, 05:38 PM) *

yeah i was thinking about that idea and began looking up images of the wolfsburg badge. Unfortunately the wolf looks more like a cat than a wolf. IPB Image

GTI

" You'll get more Pussy in a Wolf"

never mind
dlo914
haha (out the door to purchase me a GTi) :::whoosh::: smile.gif
dlo914
new suggested idea from KaptKaos and i put his idea to life biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
I like it. av-943.gif
dlo914
i think im gonna go w/ this theme "a tortoise's worse nightmare" chairfall.gif
cbenitah
Not to take away from your idea, but remember that you don't need to complicate it, your first ad looks better than the turtle one.. Layout wise, since now you have all these elements "floatingaround" remeber what I said yesterday about grounding your objects
dlo914
i'll try to incorporate shadows. smile.gif
dlo914
new one:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.