Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Shopping for a Vanagon...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Katmanken
Oh yeah,

Be sure to use the expensive as hell $25 a gallon blue VW radiator fluid. Using 'murican radiator fluid is a guaranteed leak at the head.

Other than the heads ($100 gasket set), tranny ($900), and a starter, no problems other than 1 front brake rebuild. Four Mercedes wheels and Sumitomo's cost $100. Handling improvement and grin factor.... priceless....

Vanagon beat the crap outa my POS Honda Accord for relaibiliity. 20 years of driving with the above problems.

Not too shabby Warren...... Those new Passats and Jetta's and New Beetles ain't runnin real reliable.... I'd put my Vanagon up against their problems any day.

Then again I do maintanace. Ran a Superbeetle for 190 K with regular oil changes and valve adjusts.....

Ken
Series9
I'm close to a deal out of San Diego.

Like I said: Engine failure=Suby conversion.
Series9
QUOTE(warrenporsche @ Oct 13 2006, 05:38 PM) *

I care 10x more about finishing my 914 this year than any VW.

Your 914 IS a VW......
BenT
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 12 2006, 06:26 PM) *

Who are the Vanagon experts here?

I'm aware of some of the problems with the Wasserboxers, but I would like to hear from any experts.

I don't need a Syncro or Westy. Luckie and I just need a practical vehicle that's bigger than our 914s.

The Scirocco and GTI are going up for sale.

Thanks.

Joe,

Sorry for the late reply. I was in San Diego when you closed that deal it sounds like. There's a lot of pluses and minuses about Vanagons as many folks here have pointed out. I think you will find that the Vanagons are as functional as you are willing to make it.

I've owned over 30 Vanagons. I still own a bunch. Here's the curent list:

1989 Syncro 16 Doublecab (was a 1.6TD now a 1.9TD AAZ)
1988 Doublecab 2.1 (in process of converting to 1.9TD AAZ with auto trans.)
1985 Syncro 14 Doublecab (was 1.9WBX now 2.1 WBX)
1987 Vanagon GL (was 2.1 WBX now 2.0 inline-4 GTi Engine)
1984 Vanagon GL (was 1.9 WBX now 2.2 Turbo Subie with auto trans.)
1984 Vanagon GL sunroof van 1.9
1984 Vanagon GL 1.9 WBX
1982 Vanagon L (was 1.6 diesel now 1.8 inline-4 from an A1 Scirocco)
1984 Hightop Adventurewagen (1.9WBX soon to be 2.0 inline-4)

You might say I am a fan. As a few people have pointed out, headgaskets can be a problem. I did get 386,000+ miles on my 1987 GL before my headgasket failed. None of the diesels had that problem.

Marty (Maltese Falcon) on this list had a 3.2 Carrera engine in his old Syncro. Joe from Livermore got the engine and stuck it in his 914-6. I got the engine kit. Dimitri also on this list has a XT-6 engine in his Syncro. John Damron has a Doublecab which he put an SVX 6 in recently. I'm sure there's more Vanagon guys on this list.

Anyway, since you appear to have already bought one, congratulations. The Subie route is a good alternative powerplant. Although I prefer VAG or Porsche powerplants for these vans and trucks, I do have one with a Subie 2.2 EJT with an autotrans in my 84 GL. No turbo lag with the auto. 100mph+ is no problem. Fuel economy is not great at those speeds. Think about sitting on the hood of your 914 and going that fast. It's a cool ride.

Fell free to pmail if you have any specific questions. I will try my best to answer them. I am not in the automotive business nor do I work in a VW dealership or a garage. I won't profess to be the expert on Vanagons but I can probably help you with various Vanagon related resources. I certainly have some practical experiences with the breed.

Cheers,

BenT
vanagoncafe.info
slugmika
Hi
I'we owned my Multivan 1991 about 6 months now. I have complete servicing history, no head gasket issues or anything major jet. There is about 170000miles in it now. It sure needs lot of fuel, luckily fuel is only about 5$/gallon in Finland sad.gif
I changed all the brake parts and wheel bearings after i bought it. I also installed new springs and shocks. Allready bought new gas tank which seems to be quite common problem, atleast here where we have salty roads in winter time.
I have been extremely satisfied with the car. I'am just waiting engine to fail so i can go WRX route smile.gif At the moment it is going strong, freeways it goes 110mph easily (I'am driving 50km to work every day and most of it is freeway).

Sorry about taking this change to post picture of my vanagon but i think it is so qute dry.gif
Click to view attachment

Mika

Edit by McMark: blogger.com doesn't let you link to images. I've uploaded it here so it'll show up. wink.gif
warrenporsche
I thought my 914 was a VW too, until I started buying parts for it!! I must say in defense of beetles and jettas the cars that come to us for maintenence run forever, with the exeption of the 4 speed auto trannys that cannot get past 70K it seems. the 1.8 turbo passats on the other hand, I won't even go there. As for the car in my basement being a VW, maybe it is but when I worked for the Porsche dealer I could get parts, and now that I work at a VW dealer I cannot. I know that it has become commonplace to say that 14's are really volkswagens but in reality the 924 was more vw than the 14 wouldn't you say?
Series9
I'm buying this '90 from a club member in SD:

maf914
QUOTE(Series9 @ Oct 15 2006, 09:21 AM) *

I'm buying this '90 from a club member in SD:

Did you check the parking brakes? laugh.gif
solex
did you check www.vanagon.com?

I used to be active on the mailing list (listserve@gerry.vanagon.com), great group of people.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.