Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear fender air intake scoops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 14 2014, 10:02 PM) *

Here's something I was playing with. Enters thru the little grilles.

Reminds me of Charlie Davis' setup:
IPB Image

Read about it here: http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/TempTests.htm

--DD
boxsterfan
For anyone who has used the Naca duct on the rocker, how did you route back behind it?

I was often thinking that when I restore my car I wanted to get rid of the jack posts completely on both sides. Put Naca ducts in the rocker panels where those would be. Cut a large enough hole in the long (where the jack post plate used to be) and connect to the tubes (normally used for heat). Either route those up to the engine bay for fresh air intake or point them at the trans or external oil cooler.

Then just put in electric heat. Simple. lol-2.gif Just kidding about electric heat. Maybe heated seats though.
57lincolnman
Here is my solution. NACA duct cut into rocker panel with hose connection routed to auxiliary oil cooler. No problems with dust or water. Subtle and powerful. The NACA duct is very efficient to suck in air.[ Keeps oil at 210 degrees even on hottest days. In the colder months I close up the duct. attachmentid=475909]
57lincolnman
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 15 2014, 07:35 PM) *

For anyone who has used the Naca duct on the rocker, how did you route back behind it?

I was often thinking that when I restore my car I wanted to get rid of the jack posts completely on both sides. Put Naca ducts in the rocker panels where those would be. Cut a large enough hole in the long (where the jack post plate used to be) and connect to the tubes (normally used for heat). Either route those up to the engine bay for fresh air intake or point them at the trans or external oil cooler.

Then just put in electric heat. Simple. lol-2.gif Just kidding about electric heat. Maybe heated seats though.

I posted pic that shows the hose routed to an auxiliary oil cooler that is shrouded to maximize air flow across the oil cooler. To get the space needed, I used Tangerine Racing street exhaust system which gives more room on the passenger side for the oil cooler to be mounted in a near vertical position.Click to view attachment
Jetsetsurfshop
I did this for my rear cooler too. Check post #43 for route pictures. That's three inch duct work. I moved my oil cooler to the front of my car. May keep this for a trans cooler, not sure yet.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...27027&st=40

carr914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 15 2014, 01:02 AM) *

Here's something I was playing with. Enters thru the little grilles.

Just go through the Sail Panel

Click to view attachment
veekry9
Click to view attachment

Sure,with side mount rads,intercoolers,you would need inlets/scoops/ducts.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000116-28.html
aircooledtechguy
Apples and oranges here since my car is not a Porsche body, but these are the NACA ducts on my car.

IPB Image

I'm no mechanical engineer nor did I ever take a physics class. . . With that said, the NACA ducts on the Squarsche work better than I had anticipated. piratenanner.gif

Before the latest revamp of the car with stock cooling, I would see a spike in head temps above 60mph (400F and climbing). Once I added the NACA ducts, head temps usually sit at or below 350F (have never gone over 375F) and above 70mph, the engine runs cooler 290-325F (even with the higher engine speeds and higher load).

NACA ducts not only work well, but in my experience they become more efficient with speed and just work better and better by design.
mr2by4
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-NO-RES...=US_Cars_Trucks

Big scoops on a v8 conversion.
GeorgeRud
Why not go all out?Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I can only imagine her "scoop."
veekry9
Click to view attachment

a nice lookin flare/scoop.

Click to view attachment

So nice,more than kindergarten crude,better than crayons.
veekry9
Click to view attachment

A 914 door,tail lights.Neat-o headlamps.

Click to view attachment

A scoop of orange sherbert.
76-914
NACA vents aren't air scoops per say rather inlets. They are to be placed in high pressure areas for max efficiency. The faster the air movement about them the better they work. Any AE's here that have done any wind testing on these birds?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.