Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear fender air intake scoops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
toon1
I am thinking about doing this.

They would be small so it doesn't look like a rice racer, I like the idea of getting fresh air into the engine bay.

who's done this?? got any pics??
Rough_Rider
Not mine but you might be able to see the huge scoop on the right rear fender.
toon1
that's a radical teener! I'm thinking along those lines, in the same location but smaller.
Andyrew
his car rocks... 383 stroker... fully built to handle it. nuf said.
race914
I'm wanting to get cold air into the engine compartment too...

Here is a pic of napa ducts being used for rear vents.

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Those would be "NACA" ducts. NACA (National Advisory Council on Aeronautics) being the predecessor to NASA.

Another air intake on the rear fender:
http://members.rennlist.com/bluethunder/

I've seen pics of one with a 1st-gen MR-2 scoop in one or both sides, as well.

All that only looked "OK" to me....

--DD
hmeeder
Hope you plan something a little cleaner and more integrated than this car.

Apologies if it's someone here.
dmenche914
Consider a scoop from the engine lid up to the roof, Your'd only need to modify the engine lid, not the body, if that is important to you. i have seen some like that, they look ok!

race914
Dave,

Thanks for the correction! I've been in 'wine country' way too long....

Greg

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 16 2006, 07:36 AM) *

Those would be "NACA" ducts. NACA (National Advisory Council on Aeronautics) being the predecessor to NASA.

Another air intake on the rear fender:
http://members.rennlist.com/bluethunder/

I've seen pics of one with a 1st-gen MR-2 scoop in one or both sides, as well.

All that only looked "OK" to me....

--DD

toon1
I like the size of the air intakes on the yellow car. It looks like it can be covered by a small fairing and the overall apperance would be subtle. I don't wan't the rice racer bolt on acessary package. Functionality is what I am after.

Are these avail. for purchase or is it a one off, design as you go type thing??

I am thinking of an oil cooler on the pass. side, inside the fender well and a fresh air intake for both the motor and the engine compartment on the other.
race914
They are available here as well as many other vendors

QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 16 2006, 08:57 AM) *

I like the size of the air intakes on the yellow car. It looks like it can be covered by a small fairing and the overall apperance would be subtle. I don't wan't the rice racer bolt on acessary package. Functionality is what I am after.

Are these avail. for purchase or is it a one off, design as you go type thing??

I am thinking of an oil cooler on the pass. side, inside the fender well and a fresh air intake for both the motor and the engine compartment on the other.

914-8
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Oct 16 2006, 07:47 AM) *

Now THAT's a NAPA (or maybe Pep Boys) duct!
jd74914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Oct 16 2006, 12:48 PM) *

nope, this is a Pep Boys duct (I just love PO things lol)
Rough_Rider
now this one is mine smile.gif a simple naca duct bonded into the fibreglass flares.

Connects to a 3" pipe that runs into a modified 911 intake chamber.
914helo
Do you have to worry about rain with those scoops?
jd74914
Just out of curiousity how much air do the naca ducts actual suck in?
maf914
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 16 2006, 10:30 AM) *

Just out of curiousity how much air do the naca ducts actual suck in?

I think you have to have pretty smooth airflow over the surface for NACA ducts to work well. Supposedly they allow air intake with much less drag than a scoop located in the airstream.

On NASCAR stock cars I always wonder how well the three NACA ducts work located in the rear side window behind the open drivers window. I know the NASCAR guys use plenty of wind tunnel time, but it looks like the airflow after the drivers window would be turbulent. I think these feed brakes and oil coolers and they probably have fans attached as well, so the flow must be adequate.
mrdezyne
This is a very nice job by WRTHBEGO I think. They are fully functional and look like they belong.
toon1
QUOTE(Rough_Rider @ Oct 16 2006, 11:13 AM) *

now this one is mine smile.gif a simple naca duct bonded into the fibreglass flares.

I like it!! It was hard to get a visual of how it would look on a street car.

The version on the red car is not too bad either, other that the bolt on look.

Has anyone ever used the center tunnel as a duct??

With a little creative plumbing it might work
jd74914
QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 16 2006, 02:59 PM) *

If the red car you're talking about is mine I'm planning on working it into the body so it doesn't look quite so bolt on. I just have to figure out how to do that (and I also have to fins the things, I lost them when I took them off at the beginning of my restoration smile.gif )
toon1
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 16 2006, 12:03 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 16 2006, 02:59 PM) *

If the red car you're talking about is mine I'm planning on working it into the body so it doesn't look quite so bolt on. I just have to figure out how to do that (and I also have to fins the things, I lost them when I took them off at the beginning of my restoration smile.gif )

Hey jd74, did you get them at pep boy's, ? do you have a part number??

Do you have any pics of how it's plumbed into the engine bay?
jd74914
IDk where they were bought, sorry. They also have no plumbing as of yet. I was planning on leaving them unused for now because my eventual goal is to put a /6 in so I would like to put oil coolers in them.
JPB
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 16 2006, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914-8 @ Oct 16 2006, 12:48 PM) *

nope, this is a Pep Boys duct (I just love PO things lol)

Red and Westerns smilie_pokal.gif What ya got for tires bro?65s?
jd74914
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 16 2006, 05:45 PM) *

Its got 165/85's on it now laugh.gif
They are the old 70s michelin tread pattern. I need to replace them before I register it, but first it needs paint. I think I streched the fenders just enough to fit 205s in. I'm not sure she's going to stay red tho, she was originally signal orange so I'm debating between red and going back to that color.
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(maf914 @ Oct 16 2006, 11:55 AM) *
...On NASCAR stock cars I always wonder how well the three NACA ducts work located in the rear side window behind the open drivers window. I know the NASCAR guys use plenty of wind tunnel time, but it looks like the airflow after the drivers window would be turbulent...

It's not, it's smooth.
tyler
The Boxster ones looked pretty good to me and I want to put them in but I lost the auction for all 4 pieces and now all I see for sale is the grilles - anyone know where there's any for sale?
szuccaro
My current and prior cars... one functional, one non-functional. Steve
toon1
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Oct 17 2006, 12:43 PM) *

My current and prior cars... one functional, one non-functional. Steve

The one that was fuctional, what was the function? did it make a difference?
JPB
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Oct 16 2006, 05:51 PM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 16 2006, 05:45 PM) *

Its got 165/85's on it now laugh.gif
They are the old 70s michelin tread pattern. I need to replace them before I register it, but first it needs paint. I think I streched the fenders just enough to fit 205s in. I'm not sure she's going to stay red tho, she was originally signal orange so I'm debating between red and going back to that color.

If you are leaning twards orange don't look back bro because thats a very tough and hot color. Go for it!
Geezer914
Firebird Trans am fender scoops
brant
what problem are you actually trying to solve?

most of the race cars that do this, are feeding a tranny cooler or specific cooler that requires the air flow
Jetsetsurfshop
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 13 2014, 07:13 AM) *

what problem are you actually trying to solve?

most of the race cars that do this, are feeding a tranny cooler or specific cooler that requires the air flow

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Maybe to your carbs?
idea.gif

Mark Henry
If just one of those small ones put it in the rockers.
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 13 2014, 09:38 AM) *

If just one of those small ones put it in the rockers.

Click to view attachment
wndsrfr
Here's "Buttercup" with the styling that was done by PPO....
Click to view attachment
I opened them up to actually provide flow to the rear brakes....
next shot is from inside the fenderwell looking forward.
nsyr
I like the rocker idea.
r_towle
Dis
barefoot
Part of FG body kit. I'm installing external oil cooler in there.
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 13 2014, 11:01 AM) *

Firebird Trans am fender scoops

I've seen John's dirty bird quarter-panel scoops in person...look real nice, well done.
Geezer914
The only problem with scoops in the rocker panel is picking up a lot more dust and water from the road surface.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Nov 14 2014, 08:26 AM) *

The only problem with scoops in the rocker panel is picking up a lot more dust and water from the road surface.

For what it's worth, that has never been a problem with mine.
nsyr
Does that help with getting air into the engine. I have always felt that the engine compartment is a low pressure zone, starving the engine for air at higher speeds.
VegasRacer
Sister.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(nsyr @ Nov 14 2014, 03:02 PM) *

Does that help with getting air into the engine. I have always felt that the engine compartment is a low pressure zone, starving the engine for air at higher speeds.

Porsche didn’t seem worry about it with 914-4 even when they raced when it when it was new. They didn’t open up the engine lid until they raced the 914-6…
57lincolnman
QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:55 AM) *

I am thinking about doing this.

They would be small so it doesn't look like a rice racer, I like the idea of getting fresh air into the engine bay.

who's done this?? got any pics??

I put a small scoop recessed into the rocker panel on the passenger side. It's low and very discrete. I took the stock rockers ones off and put on the ABS ones that say PORSCHE on them. It was easy to cut out the section I needed for the scoop. Just to make sure I had clearance in that recess between rocker and face of frame. I have A/C so I had to reroute the hoses to get the clearance. I suppose you could use it with the stock metal rocker but it would be harder. I put a hose connection on the back of the scoop that is routed underneath and goes to an auxiliary oil cooler with a shroud to make sure all of the ducted air blows across the oil cooler. It works great in the summer. I live in Atlanta and in 90+ summer temps the oil stays at 210-215 tops. In cooler weather like now I close it off with a rubber drain stopper (not very elegant but it works) because the oil wouldn't get to 180 otherwise. I can send pics if you like.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(nsyr @ Nov 14 2014, 02:02 PM) *

Mine is ducted to an oil cooler below the rear trunk.
Chris914n6
Here's something I was playing with. Enters thru the little grilles.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

tomeric914
Not 914 but:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...roof-scoop.html

IPB Image

effutuo101
Here is a pic of mine. I have to finish the inside boxes for the air intake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.