Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flaring the car, now what to do with the fender "lips"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Had a meeting this morning with Jerry that will be doing the hand formed flares, bodywork and paint on my 914..the flares are to cover my 17x8's with 245s on all four corners.....the fenders need to be brought out at least 1" for proper clearance.

Now to decide a few things, such as lip or no lip on the fenders...

The green car here that belongs to GaryD has the fenders flared and has kept the lips.....

The yellow is JP's and on the rear, his flares (HPH 'glass flares) have no lip.

I also noticed that the GT flares have no external lip.....

IPB Image
Click to view attachment

JPB
They both look great and think the lips are probably required on the stretched steel fendes for strength. If you have lips on the front fenders, then you should match them with the rear; either both off or both on. I like them on. Its kinda like a nice detail as the others don't seem to match. How far are you pulling the back ones out from their stock location?

beer.gif I feel like doing that to my car also from pics of your last post.
Andyrew
cut the inner lip or the outer lip? The inner lip/ L is structural as you know, the outer lip is an indent for the outer lip. also semi structural.

If your forming them by hand, that lip gets contorted very easily. (I played around with keeping it or not myself when I was forming the flares) and IMHO it dates the car. I dont think he'll cut them off more as hammering them flat (the inner lip can NOT be rolled in, he'll have to bend the metal back, as I had to do this on felix's fenders when I was attempting to work them.) The problem I faced with my OLD fenders on my car was I went back and forth with the lip too many times and the metal was separating. Partly the reason why I told felix the flares were not good enough for his car. also why I went with fiberglass.
The rears will need 1.5 inches. but thats pretty easy if he's got a palm nailer and he's done that before. the fronts I think an inch will be ok, but the problem will be lack of clearance when in turns.. Which I believe is one of the reasons JP cut his fenders up higher.

Im sure I've told you all this before, but heres a post to jog your memory!

oh ya.. Drool sucker!!!
IPB Image
hph

IPB Image
WCC05 hand formed

IPB Image
autox with 255's rear hand formed.

GL!
J P Stein
The inner lip or L, as Andrew refers to it, is necessary for strength.....and a pain to work around. In fact, I found no way to stretch it short of it pounding flat then rebending it back in. Jon Kelly can do it, but he has talent biggrin.gif

The outter shape is even worse and thus history on my car.

I did find it necessary to raise the front L about 3/4 inch for big tiars at full compression & lock.....and a lowered car, of course. A pair of vise grips & an eyeball, then a hammer & eyeball to get it fair. Just takes some time & patience and a lot of smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif
Mueller
jerry, the paint and body guy smash.gif has restored many a 356 and has the solution for the inside lip which I know will get messed up so if we get rid of the outer lip, no problem....I've already FUBAR'd the rear drivers side outer lip by trying to do something I have no business in attempting blink.gif

right now it's an issue of looks and if I want the smooth look or not...

kinda neat having a professional work on the car, luckly we are doing the barter system so it won't hurt the wallet too much (famous last words, hahaha)

turboman808
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Oct 15 2006, 12:26 PM) *

oh ya.. Drool sucker!!!
IPB Image
hph

Those look pretty good. Should have mine done over the winter and have the car resprayed. With the slant nose fenders they desparately need to to be flared so they look nice. I think it will really make a difference in the cars looks.
JPB
Bad assed black car bro.

beer.gif Me likes.
race914
I kept the lips so my flares were more 'stealth'

Click to view attachment
Andyrew
the flares are high performance house rich bontempi flares front and back.

Currently 255's(on 8.5x17) front and 265's (on 10x18) on the back.

I like the smooth lip.. and if thats what your body guy is good at, then I think the answer is obvious. less$$ for you, less stress for him..

nine14cats
I voted for smooth. I like the subtle "custom" look of that.

Bill P.
Chris Pincetich
I vote no lips because you are not trying to keep the stock "Porsche" look with the wheels so why go through extra work to retain a stock look with the fenders? New paint and body work, you've got to be psyched. Weld the cowel seal, new side markers, colors, graphics, so many important choices to consider. Do you really even care how we vote? biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
markb
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 15 2006, 01:17 PM) *

They both look great and think the lips are probably required on the stretched steel fendes for strength. If you have lips on the front fenders, then you should match them with the rear; either both off or both on. I like them on. Its kinda like a nice detail as the others don't seem to match.

agree.gif
jonwatts
The smooth look is kinda 80's (think 944 or 928). Nothing wrong with it, just also a bit dated.

What about the wide lip look of new cars?
Click to view attachment
John Kelly
Hi Mike,

I like both. The stock edge detail is not required for strength when the fenders are stretched. The extra compound curve you put in the fender makes it stiffer than stock. If going with the smooth look, it's probably a good idea to do it fairly early on in the flare process...or at least most of it. You do not want to have your flare done and still need to do a lot of work on the edge because the shape might change. If you do make a little too much of a bulge near the edge, you can shrink it down with a shrinking disc. This will work on a car retaining the detail that has too much stretch near the edge as well. It would require a high crowned shrinking disc, or clever torch work, and hammer and dolly.

One of the things I learned on Zach's car was that I should have stayed away from the edge when stretching to keep from making the detail too shallow (this is in the video). His car is going to need some tricky blending of the shallow to the deep parts of the detail, or he will perhaps go with the smooth look.

If Jerry wants any tips to get through tough spots he might run in to, I'll try to help if possible. One thing I did not put in the first video was the use of a slapper instead of a body hammer. This really speeds up the metal smoothing that is done between multiple stretching sessions.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Mountain914
Mick Jager, Stephen Tyler, and me, we all kept the lips... stones.gif
Aaron Cox
is that a fender that was cut off a car, "curved" and welded/sectioned back in?
jonwatts
I think that's Mountain914's yellow car. Here's a profile shot.

Click to view attachment
Mountain914
Yep - existing fender "splayed out" and metal added in.
Dang - no good pictures.
IPB Image
cbenitah
not to hijack the thread, but what wheels are those on the yellow car.. CCW?
mrdezyne
I have the HPH rear flares also but I am actually adding the lip to match the front. The lip is one of the little things that make it look retro and adds a bit of detail interest to the side profile of the car. Without the lips there is not much going on down the sides IMO....

Lee, that is an amazing job on those fenders. I'm hoping to accomplish something similar with the Bontempi fiberglass flares....
MartyYeoman
Keep your lips. mueba.gif
Mountain914
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Oct 16 2006, 11:46 AM) *

not to hijack the thread, but what wheels are those on the yellow car.. CCW?

Yes - old CCW's.

The lips do help give the car an "outline". Mine has a LOT of yellow - and it can be a bit overbearing, luckily it's a small car. The "lips" give an edge and help separate the lines of the car, but I've always been a guy who colored in the lines, I guess. rocking nana.gif

Not having the lip or edge to me (my opinion) looks unfinished.
GTeener
Why choose? Sport one of each thumb3d.gif
Aaron Cox
LIPS stones.gif
JPB
Why torment mE??? I hate these fine freeking rides and fat assed bihotches with them fat meats and sweet five lug wheels. CRAP!!! I don't wanna do this, I don't wanna do this.

beer.gif I wanna do this so bad sad.gif...........help
Mountain914
If you are looking for help you are so in the wrong place ! happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.