Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N.E.Wrenches Roll Call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rmital
...glad it worked out Billy. Leo did a great job clap56.gif

Haven't seen Pete that happy-go-lucky in weeks.

Hope to hear from Richie that he had some heat on the way home.
ptravnic
I'm happy for a few reasons:

1. My car is pretty much square for the year & then I'll have plenty of time to get it all proper by the time spring rolls around.

2. I ran 20 miles yday averaging 8mins per mile - which makes my goal of a 3:30 marathon (2 weeks away) very attainable.

3. I get to quit my job in 5 weeks, then I get to work on side projects til grad school starts at the end of next summer.

4. I finally get to start helping work on your guys cars. It feels good be able to pay you guys back - even if today I was only helpful on chef's car.

Billy - thanks for the cookies!

piratenanner.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 22 2006, 03:35 PM) *

I'm happy for a few reasons:

2. I ran 20 miles yday averaging 8mins per mile - which makes my goal of a 3:30 marathon (2 weeks away) very attainable.

Dam I don't think I could survive a marathon right now. I'm so out of shape.
nycchef
yes it seems to have heat. got warm and toasty pretty quick, then got stuck in traffic for 2 hrs, pretty much from giant stadium to my front door. oh and it backfires now on decelation. my car does not like to be fixed. thanks to everyone for their help.
jet1
Yes, Billy, thanks for the cookies and nice car!
Rich, good to hear you have heat for the winter.

All, nice to see you guys again.

Keith
ptravnic
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 22 2006, 07:56 PM) *

yes it seems to have heat. got warm and toasty pretty quick, then got stuck in traffic for 2 hrs, pretty much from giant stadium to my front door. oh and it backfires now on decelation. my car does not like to be fixed. thanks to everyone for their help.

The backfiring is due to exhaust leaks. The copper heat gaskets that were missing will cause that, as will the muffler gaskets not sealing completely. I'd say a good tradeoff for not shivering!

Glad it worked out for ya.

clap56.gif
i love porsche
sorry i came so late today guys...it was fun to at lease hang out and see how the tie rods are done. i was also great to see pete in such high spirits, and thank god i didnt get a whiff of that flatulence.

ill try and make it earlier for the next session..which is hopefully soon...when all of your running and more important cars have all had some work done..maybe i can squeeze my car in for a session
RS22b
i had fun for sure after i left. Drove the car all last night and put a total of 154 miles on yesterday.

Now i just need to get them brakes adjusted properly and i will feel totally confident with my car again!!!

Whens the next session? or drive?

_billy
nycchef
Whens the next session? or drive?

_billy
[/quote]

ray needs to strip down the green one before it rusts out in then snow. i think that should be the next all day project.
ptravnic
The green cars shell is worth while... Strong to quite strong... Do the tires hold air (ie, for towing)? I'll find out this w'end how easily the beetle tows the 914. If it works out easily, I could see myself towing the green car to Buffalo once the winter passes then doing a parts swap from my orange car...

It doesn't look like the restoration design parts I ordered will be @ Hooker's Welding til mid week, then I need to tow the orange car to Buffalo on Friday - prob will not leave enough time to get the longs welded up...

Who knows...

-pt
i love porsche
im all for stripping the green one
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 23 2006, 10:20 AM) *

Do the tires hold air (ie, for towing)?

...tires got about 120 miles on them....brand new.
ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 23 2006, 10:23 AM) *

ahh, they sound like a good spare set for the sliver beast...
rmital
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 23 2006, 11:01 AM) *

nope...the silver bullet has brand new tires too...they'd go with the car if you wanted to deal.
RS22b
that would be alot of fun to help tear down the greener.

ptravnic
QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 23 2006, 11:05 AM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 23 2006, 11:01 AM) *

nope...the silver bullet has brand new tires too...they'd go with the car if you wanted to deal.

Will have to see how the winter plays out. I don't have the space for it (even in Buffalo) until spring rolls around. I'll keep the idea on the back burner and watch you slowly part it out... I'd like to see you make some extra $ from the new parts you put on it. It would fund your hobby should you want to want to do anything to the silver sparkler...

-pt
turboman808
Ray if your striping the green car I will gladly take the back pad. $50 smile.gif
Of course I am gonna strip it down as I mentioned.

Ordered some gauges. I think I am gonna go ahead and get the paspeedo triple gauge. That thing is so sweet. I also ordered fiberglass hoods and new door panels. MIne are nice but got speaker holes cut in em.

I'm thinking I am gonna order some GTS seats as well. The recaros are nice but look completely out of place. Someone is gonna have to show me how to take those things out. Not sure which is wider though the nurburgring or the lemans.
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 23 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Ray if your striping the green car I will gladly take the back pad. $50 smile.gif

Ordered some gauges. I think I am gonna go ahead and get the paspeedo triple gauge. That thing is so sweet. I also ordered fiberglass hoods and new door panels. MIne are nice but got speaker holes cut in em.

I'm thinking I am gonna order some GTS seats as well. The recaros are nice but look completely out of place. Someone is gonna have to show me how to take those things out. Not sure which is wider though the nurburgring or the lemans.

If you get a fiberglass rear decklid I could use your steel one...

-pt
RS22b
forget that fiberglass stuff. Get the CF! its where its at rocking nana.gif
i love porsche
carbon fiber..would be optimum yes...but 'spensive
turboman808
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Oct 24 2006, 10:36 AM) *

carbon fiber..would be optimum yes...but 'spensive

Yeah but I could take a dump instead of the carbon fiber hood and get to the same weight. stromberg.gif

The getty hoods are crazy expensive and you still have to paint them. If you want show quality carbon I think it was like $3000 for the pair. ohmy.gif

That's more then hoods, triple gauge and gts seats combined.
RS22b
na, CF rules all.

even if you do take a crap and lose that extra weight, its all worth it!
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 23 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Nurburgring are wider than the Lemans. The Lemans would more than likely work for you. ROCS - the shop that sourced out my heads is a dealer and is working on a 911 that is getting a Lemans seat. I'll let them know you are in the market and you can test the fit when they get the seat in.
RS22b
so we doin any 914 time this weekend?

My car is back at Powertech for some issues, so the car prob wont be around, but i can come and help out.
i love porsche
im not gonna be around this weekend, have "junkpile wars" to do at school...$1000 first place cash prize =]
turboman808
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 25 2006, 05:39 AM) *

Nurburgring are wider than the Lemans. The Lemans would more than likely work for you. ROCS - the shop that sourced out my heads is a dealer and is working on a 911 that is getting a Lemans seat. I'll let them know you are in the market and you can test the fit when they get the seat in.

That would be cool and maybe they could help me put them in I seriously can't figure out how the hell to get the seats out. It should be easy I know. Problem is I just can't get to those front bolts no way no how.

Wish I had a project on my car to do this weekend. I got my new speedo and the hal pickup. I don't have all the little metal bits to finish it off nicely though. The guys who I ordered the 6'x2' sheet of aluminum are really taking there sweet time. They just sent it out today.

Think I will just spend this weekend with the ladies rocking nana.gif

Next weekend I was gonna head up to Racer Chris' shop and then Sunday head out to the Autox for some fiming if that sounds like anyones cup of tea.
nycchef
putting mine to sleep this week. thinking of pulling the engine soon maybe start next weekend. car will be in hazlet n.j., near keansburg, by sandy hook, any one up for a good ole fashioned up on jackstands engine drop?
ptravnic
I'll be towing my car up to Buffalo this weekend. Turns out Billy (welder) has persuaded me to throw in the towel on that car's chassis. It might be worth saving but would require a lot of welding/fabricating know how and a lot of time.

I had been thinking of swapping all the parts off my orange car onto Ray's green machine and this episode @ the welder's has pushed me over the edge... I bought Rays green machine. I'll be taking it to Buffalo in the next month or so (hooray for tow bars & a new hitch on the Beetle!). The entire car will be stripped down to bare chassis, painted, and built up using the parts from the orange car.

I expect it to be completed sometime in the spring (prob by May).

Am I crazy? Foolish?
i love porsche
how are you going to do the frame repair?
ptravnic
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Oct 27 2006, 12:16 AM) *

how are you going to do the frame repair?

The frame is not damaged, just the right front quarter panel & the rear deck lid & rear trunk area. There's already a good quarter panel which I believe Kieth donated over the summer. So I'm on the lookout for the rear trunk stuff...

I'll have a welding shop up in Buffalo put them on - it should be pretty straight forward work for them.

type11969
Pete, definitely think you made a good choice, although it always sucks to lose another 914. Curious though what the front trunk looks like in your car, and the area on the firewall where the shiftrod, brake lines, gas lines, etc pass through. My 914 needs help there, and if you are scrapping that car, maybe we can work out a deal.

Also, I have a flat tow towbar for a 914 already mounted to a scrap bumper, unbolt your old bumper, bolt this one on, and away you go. I don't foresee needing it in the near future, you are welcome to borrow it if you want.

-Chris
RS22b
WOW! Good call Pete. Not that i really knew what your orange car looked like underneath.

So is the green car getting stripped down here or up in Buffalo? And are you keeping all the parts from the green car or is Ray?

whoever might be keeping the parts, i think i need the bottom seatbelt buckles. Where the belt attatches to the middle tunnel. And possibly that stock fog light switch.

let me know.

Thanks,
Billy
jet1
icon_bump.gif
Leo Imperial
Looks like I have the weekend off beerchug.gif Man it has been a while. Gonna spend some time with the family. Maybe next Sat we can all try to make the run to RacerChris's shop and show him some support. Looks like it could be a good time.

I just checked with the better half and she said I can go clap56.gif

Glad we got everything sorted last Sunday. It was a productive day.

I spoke with Pete yesterday. He was on the road towing the 914 behind the bettle to Buffalo. He said the DLee setup was working like a dream.
RS22b
yeah i would really like to get up to Chris's for an alignment.

Dont know if i will get the car back from Powertech in time. The car wasnt running good at all earlier in the week and started running on only 3 cyls. So hopefully its nothing crazy and i will have it back by the weekend.

_billy
ptravnic
Chris - the area you describe is shit on the orange car. My feet get wet when it rains b/c the area around the m/c & pedals is uber rusty.

Ray and I worked out a deal on the green car complete & "as is" less a few pieces he had just bought new like the rear calipers, injectors, etc.

My thoughts are to keep the green machine as complete as possible so as to ensure everything is on hand when the time comes to properly put it all back together.

After the green car is torn down & put back together the left over pieces will be given away/up for sale.

My goal is to have the green car on the road by May.

BTW, like Leo said - the tow bar set up kicks booty! The orange car is in the garage in Buffalo & has it's ass end up on jack stands waiting to have the engine dropped. When it goes back in it will likely get dressed w/carbs. A set of Dellorto DRLA 40mm's are on the basement workbench waiting to be rebuilt.

The FI will have to get prepped for another engine.

Giddy up, big plans are underway!
type11969
Pete- I don't think we are talking about the same area of the car, I'm talking about the area in the engine compartment where the fuel lines, shift rod, etc, pass through, is that rusty? How about the trunk floor? Let me know.

Good luck with the green car!

-Chris

turboman808
Yep a run up to Chris' place would be pretty cool. Sounds like we got possibly 3 people heading up there. Any others?
ptravnic
QUOTE(type11969 @ Oct 29 2006, 03:46 PM) *

Pete- I don't think we are talking about the same area of the car, I'm talking about the area in the engine compartment where the fuel lines, shift rod, etc, pass through, is that rusty? How about the trunk floor? Let me know.

Good luck with the green car!

-Chris

I gotchya, I was thinking of the front trunk, etc. That area is pretty solid on the orange car but I'm not sure when/if it'll get cut up. Seems a pretty easy section to fabricate - doesn't really support anything just keeps the water out/people in...

-pt
type11969
I'm more concerned with the location of the opening for the shift rod. This area was rusted out on my car, and a PO decided to "fill" the rust holes with shitty globs of stick welding rod . . . literally looks like bird crap. My concern is that if the hole through which the shift rod passes has been altered, deformed, etc, this car will never shift correctly. And thats the last thing a 914 needs, more of a mess in the shifting department. Meh, maybe I can sort it out with some measurements off of another car. We will see how far I am along if/when you start parting out that orange one.

Anyone have any projects planned for the weekend of the 11th? I'm going to be up that way and will probably have some free time that Sunday. Certainly would be willing to lend a hand.

-Chris
RS22b
so whos all goin for a ride today with the nice weather?

My car is still at Powertech, not sure if they even got a look at it yet. Goin to call them later and see if i can get the car back.

_billy
i love porsche
when are people going up to chris's? id like to be a passenger
ptravnic
I'd like to get out to MovieTime at some point to get the green car prepped for the trip to Buffalo at the end of the month. Prepped = put on tow bar brackets: takes ~ 30mins.
RS22b
Upto Chris's on Sat. but not sure what time everyone is goin to meet up. You can ride with me if you like, but not sure im goin to have my ride back yet.

Pete - let me know if you head down to the shop. I live about 10 min away and can come help if you need.
turboman808
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 31 2006, 07:56 AM) *

so whos all goin for a ride today with the nice weather?

My car is still at Powertech, not sure if they even got a look at it yet. Goin to call them later and see if i can get the car back.

_billy

Well heck yeah I saw the nice weather and grabbed all my stuff out of my honda and threw it in the teener. Took the top off and threw on sunglasses. Army pants and a wife beater didn't sit to well with the cops since I shaved my head rather close a few days ago. Giving me the old "you sole that car" dirty looks again.

Well Got on the highway and opened her up only to hit the bumper to bumper traffic 3 miles from my house. 1.5 hour drive to work in traffic YAY! Well heck I did have the top off and enjoying the weather none the less.

I definetly want to head up to Chris' Saturday. We should meet somewhere along 95 in NY. I just don't want to have to drive to Jersey.

I haven't looked at a map yet so not exactly sure where??? confused24.gif
nycchef
well kids. taking the 914 out for one last pleasure drive on what looks like the last nice day. cleaned out the garage in n.j. and it's going to sleep for the season. hope to pull the engine soon, send the tranny to dr. evil for a rebuild and wait for leo's 2.0. maybe tear down the 1.7 and rebuild that one in the warmth of my basement. gonna miss the little pain in the ass. bye1.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(nycchef @ Nov 1 2006, 12:45 PM) *

well kids. taking the 914 out for one last pleasure drive on what looks like the last nice day. cleaned out the garage in n.j. and it's going to sleep for the season. hope to pull the engine soon, send the tranny to dr. evil for a rebuild and wait for leo's 2.0. maybe tear down the 1.7 and rebuild that one in the warmth of my basement. gonna miss the little pain in the ass. bye1.gif

Yeah I think this is the last weekend for awhile. Got a list of stuff I want to do myself.
Taking the gauges out Sunday night and sending them to PAspeedo. Should be getting back a 200mph speedo, 10k rpm tach amd triple gauge. Lots of wishful thinking on my part. biggrin.gif

Well I hope to see some of you guys Saturday. Driving up together would definetly be fun. SO Lets deciede on a place. If anything I will wait on the side of the highway for you if you let me know when you are coming.

Oh also I got my HD camera and will be taking lots of video which I will imagine will make it's way on the site
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.