Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: N.E.Wrenches Roll Call
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
rmital
well...with Pete's engine rebuild sorta done, what did you do with your time this weekend?

Richie (chef) and I started digging into my Zambezi teener. Drained the gas, removed the tank. Got the fuel pump, master cylinder, rear calipers off the car. Looking to drop the engine in the next few weeks.

....so...what's up? Maybe Billy still needs some company while he installs his tie rods.

nycchef
i would like to have heat. any movie time time available? anyone local have the flexible hoses off the h.e's to sell?
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 16 2006, 06:43 AM) *

................any movie time time available?

I'd like to get over there one night this weekend....to soon to tell which one.
ptravnic
I'm around this w'end to lend a hand w/whatever needs done. biggrin.gif
RS22b
QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 16 2006, 10:30 AM) *

well...with Pete's engine rebuild sorta done, what did you do with your time this weekend?

Richie (chef) and I started digging into my Zambezi teener. Drained the gas, removed the tank. Got the fuel pump, master cylinder, rear calipers off the car. Looking to drop the engine in the next few weeks.

....so...what's up? Maybe Billy still needs some company while he installs his tie rods.

yes, definitly goin to need some help with the tie-rods. I just wanna get it done right the first time rather than having to go back and fix something.

I should finally be done with my brake situation in the next few days. Once that is done I'm still not sure i will be able to drive the car with confidence. Both ball joints are pretty shot and have a decent amount of play in them.

And of course the car doesnt want to start bc of the cold weather we have gotten. Long stroke, big bore = dead battery.

let me know when we can get together.

_billy
jet1
I would like to come down and hang out again. I have been too busy lately. I am building a house and working overtime to pay for it, so my weekends are shot, but if the weather's bad this weekend I may decide to come down.

Hey Ray,
Are you taking offers on parts off the green car? If so I need a few items.

Keith
turboman808
I actualy wouldn't mind going over there tonight. I have my car with me and was gonna work on it here at work.

I need to finish installing my turnsignals. Sooner or later I am not gonna be able to outrun the radio piratenanner.gif
rmital
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 16 2006, 08:30 AM) *

I actualy wouldn't mind going over there tonight.

...sorry nate...can't make it tonight. Maybe later this week, or of course the weekend.
nycchef
i would like to try to to the h.e's ,heater cable and hoses.think it might be an all day deal and don't want to try it at night. weekend would be great. let me know
ptravnic
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 16 2006, 12:38 PM) *

i would like to try to to the h.e's ,heater cable and hoses.think it might be an all day deal and don't want to try it at night. weekend would be great. let me know

I have some copper heat exchanger nuts for you.

-pt
nycchef

-pt
[/quote]

thanks pete. i'll take em. we should give your car a once over before you tow. thought maybe fuel pressure is too high, passing past the injectors and burning up in the exhaust? is that possible? seems odd that it ran so well that day and not anymore. maybe it is the loose dizzy
RS22b
[quote name='nycchef' date='Oct 16 2006, 12:35 PM' post='795675']

-pt
[/quote]

thanks pete. i'll take em. we should give your car a once over before you tow. thought maybe fuel pressure is too high, passing past the injectors and burning up in the exhaust? is that possible? seems odd that it ran so well that day and not anymore. maybe it is the loose dizzy
[/quote]

cant happen that way unfortunatly. At least with conventional modern day FI systems. If there is too much pressure than he is probably just loading up on fuel and that is why you are seeing the white smoke.

It would either fill the cyl with fuel or send it back to the tank, or possibly both.

_billy
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 16 2006, 11:02 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 16 2006, 10:30 AM) *

yes, definitly goin to need some help with the tie-rods. I just wanna get it done right the first time rather than having to go back and fix something.

I should finally be done with my brake situation in the next few days. Once that is done I'm still not sure i will be able to drive the car with confidence. Both ball joints are pretty shot and have a decent amount of play in them.

And of course the car doesnt want to start bc of the cold weather we have gotten. Long stroke, big bore = dead battery.

let me know when we can get together.

_billy

Hey, I can help you with the tie-rods. Really busy with work these days. I'll try to make myself available soon.
RS22b
sweet sounds great. thx. let me know when you are available.

anybody else? teh sooner the better with this bc this is the only thing from holding me back from driving the car. Colder it gets the less desirable it is to drive and even start.

thx again

_billy
turboman808
finaly got turn signals piratenanner.gif

As much as I ghetto fab everything they don't look that bad.
ptravnic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 17 2006, 01:17 AM) *

finaly got turn signals piratenanner.gif

As much as I ghetto fab everything they don't look that bad.

got pics?
i love porsche
if we set a date ill try and make it...availability kind of floats around for be because i work on weekends

i would like to try to get my car to movietime soon..to do some work on it
type11969
I'd like to help out but its gonna be tough getting up there anytime soon.
Leo Imperial
Looks like Sunday is a possible for me. I need more info onthe Tie rod situation. Is the plan to put in new turbo tie rods? Have you taken out the old set?
RS22b
yup, new turbo tierods goin in. I still have the old ones in the car but there is tons of play in the ball joints. One of the old ones is bent decently too.

Im not sure if i will actually be able to drive the car all the way from Vernon to MovieTime on Sunday, but i certainly wouldnt mind trying and then calling AAA to bring me the rest of the way. :haha:
RS22b
OK, just finished my brakes up. They still need some fine tuning and prob another bleed but they work just as they did before, just without all the rust and holes and stuff.

Been having some issues with the car starting lately. Finally decided to pull the plugs out and see what was goin on. The left 2 cyl i pulled and seemed to not be in too good a shape. The motor is basically just brand new and im having issues with it already. Im not happy about this at all.

Cleaned up the 2 plugs i pulled and put them back in. Started to fire a bit more and was able to get it started, finally, after about 15 min more of cranking the thing.

Drove it around to help it out, and just as i got back in front of my house the car died :mad: Got it in the driveway and checked the oil to make sure it had enough. It did.

The only thing i can figure is that the motor isnt completely tuned right and it is allowing too much fuel to get in and kill my plugs causing the car to die and hard starts, even on warm days like today.

Looks like i gotta call Powertech tomorrow...
nycchef
o.k kids what's the plan for this weekend? i have a bunch o' little projects i need to get started on before the cold comes.
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 19 2006, 10:16 AM) *

o.k kids what's the plan for this weekend?

Sunday afternoon....12:00 to about 4:30

how 'bout those quotes richie!! nice...
i love porsche
sounds good..il try to come by for a bit..what are we working on?
rmital
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Oct 19 2006, 11:01 AM) *

sounds good..il try to come by for a bit..what are we working on?

I think richie's heat
Leo Imperial
QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 19 2006, 02:22 PM) *

Any chance we can start earlier? Sounds like lots of little projects to do.
rmital
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 19 2006, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(rmital @ Oct 19 2006, 02:22 PM) *

Any chance we can start earlier? Sounds like lots of little projects to do.

to soon to tell....I'll know better tomorrow once I know the schedule for the weekend...and to check with MovieTime (I doubt they need their garage on weekends these days)...
ptravnic
I'm in for Sunday.
nycchef
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 19 2006, 11:46 AM) *

I'm in for Sunday.

sounds good to me. need to change h.e"s, jury rig some sort of cable for the flapper boxes and have rear shocks we can shove in if we want. why did the """""'s work this time?
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 19 2006, 11:56 AM) *

why did the """""'s work this time?

congratulations!!!...you are just a quoten' fool....
ptravnic
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 19 2006, 03:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ptravnic @ Oct 19 2006, 11:46 AM) *

I'm in for Sunday.

sounds good to me. need to change h.e"s, jury rig some sort of cable for the flapper boxes and have rear shocks we can shove in if we want. why did the """""'s work this time?

Rear shocks are uncharted waters. The heat sounds like a good project. The shocks need you to be able to lay the car up b/c sometimes extra parts need to be ordered.
nycchef
Rear shocks are uncharted waters. The heat sounds like a good project. The shocks need you to be able to lay the car up b/c sometimes extra parts need to be ordered.
[/quote]

no layups if we re not sure we stick to the h.e's. think about how to rig up the cable on the fly. one side is already attached one is about 6 inches short. story of my life.
i love porsche
im up for starting earlier if movietime is available
RS22b
im in! is it possible we can do the tierods on my car?

Rich - as far as the rear shocks go, i have done the springs in the rear on my car, so if you are looking for someone that has done them before...

_billy
nycchef
imagine my suprise. just opened the box, front shocks came rears still out there.
turboman808
Got a little project I want to do maybe in a month or so if you guys want to help me. I am deathly afraid of doing wiring.

But after seeing this I started putting the parts together. Got a nice Speedometer thats brand new and I am trying to get this kick ass tach.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...sor++cv++speedo
RS22b
i can help with wiring aswell.

called Powertech about the car, they said to check my coil for 12V first. The plugs werent wet when i pulled them, but i think that the coil is prob fine. Maybe a loose wire or something goin on there.
Leo Imperial
Bring it down. The tie rods can be done no problem. Do you have a tie rod end remover or forks? Also what kind of ignition system and coil are you running?
Leo Imperial
Forgot to mention that i can get the car rolling in a straight line, but you will need a professional allignment to get it right.
RS22b
sounds great Leo!

i dont know what i did with my pickle fork. Been looking for it and i think the mechanic fairy took it from me.

As far as ignition system, im not really sure, haha. I think its an 009.

I just did a lil checking over on some stuff that i could do by myself. Took off the covers for the carbs and checked to see if the thing was spitting fuel. Nope. Fuel pump was running pretty loud. Checked the tank, nothing. Bone dry. All that with the gauge saying that i still have about 1/4 tank.

Hopefully once i put some gas in the car the thing will want to start pretty easily and be running ok enough for me to get it down there on Sunday.

_billy
nycchef
need clarification. giving that there is only one lift, limited time (4-5 hrs), and anthony doesn't want any 914's left behind. can we do both projects on the same day. confused24.gif
Leo Imperial
YES!!!! I also plan to adjust the valves on my bus.

It can all be done as long as you don't stand next to me with a cigarette in one hand and a bag of cheetos in the other. alfred.gif
type11969
You gonna be able to get them cold enough to adjust after driving there?

When you getting that 1.8 back together?
rmital
QUOTE(nycchef @ Oct 20 2006, 10:15 AM) *

need clarification. giving that there is only one lift, limited time (4-5 hrs), and anthony doesn't want any 914's left behind. can we do both projects on the same day. confused24.gif

QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 20 2006, 02:04 PM) *

YES!!!! I also plan to adjust the valves on my bus.

It can all be done as long as you don't stand next to me with a cigarette in one hand and a bag of cheetos in the other. alfred.gif

sarcasm and wit are better left to those that are good at it, so I got nothin’ creative to say about how this day is developing...so I'll just reiterate

...was just planning on spending about 4+ hours playing around with 914s on Sunday afternoon....
RS22b
do we have a start time yet Ray?

I will try my best to be there right on time to that. Hopefully i will get the car all set for its first "real" drive in about 8 yrs! today.

_billy
rmital
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 21 2006, 10:53 AM) *

do we have a start time yet Ray?

I will try my best to be there right on time to that. Hopefully i will get the car all set for its first "real" drive in about 8 yrs! today.

_billy

11:00am looks to be a good time to get started....good luck with the drive!!!
RS22b
got the car to start!

took it for a ride for a lil today just to get the feel of any other problems. Seems like my back brakes arent working after the adjustment. I think i need to tighten them up a lil. if i cant get to them tonite or tomorrow morning, can we do a quick adjustment???

_billy
ptravnic
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 21 2006, 10:32 PM) *

can we do a quick adjustment???

chairfall.gif

I have failed w/these cars more than I've succeeded but one thing I know to be an undeniable truth - nothing happens quickly on these beasts. When a fellow board member says "only took me an hour" I have taken to multiplying it by 3. Oh, the rule of 3... chair.gif

See you boys in a couple hours!!

smash.gif
Leo Imperial
Good morning Mr. Sunshine. Someone pour sour milk into your frosted flakes this morning? Not like you to be so defeated prior to starting the job. Not to worry. I once put a set of bus heads on my engine by mistake and the thing ran better than a 6. Failure is just part of the process of illimination.

Now I'm going to get some breakfast so I can get there early and try to get a start on things. With all this SHIET on order for today it looks like I will be working on my own car in the driveway at home in the dark chowtime.gif
RS22b
great! car feels amazing!!! its like driving a new car again!!!

Thanks Ray for the shop
thanks Leo for showing me how to do it and dealing with the bent side.
Really appreciate what ya guys did for me...

Hope everyone enjoyed the endless supply of cookies. Pete, well we're not sure what you were on but we know that you were having fun doin whatever it was you were doin. haha.

_billy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.