Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help diagnose this noise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FB914
I have a sound like something is rubbing on the right rear tire at speed. It is not related to the engine - it changes with the speed of the car, not the RPM's. At 40 MPH you can hear it pretty good and the pitch gets higher as the speed increases. The tires are OK - no metal showing thru the rubber. There is nothing I can see that would be rubbing on the wheel or tire or the ground. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help

Frank B
904svo
QUOTE(FB914 @ Oct 16 2006, 01:26 PM) *

I have a sound like something is rubbing on the right rear tire at speed. It is not related to the engine - it changes with the speed of the car, not the RPM's. At 40 MPH you can hear it pretty good and the pitch gets higher as the speed increases. The tires are OK - no metal showing thru the rubber. There is nothing I can see that would be rubbing on the wheel or tire or the ground. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help

Frank B

Check your rear bearings they may be bad.

914nerd
Yep, check the rear bearings (might as well check all of them while you are at it) and you may need to repack them or possibly buy a new bearing set

Charles
FB914
QUOTE(904svo @ Oct 16 2006, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(FB914 @ Oct 16 2006, 01:26 PM) *

Frank B

Check your rear bearings they may be bad.

Thanks, that was what I thought.
orange914
probably a wheel bearing... but from personal experience, it might be from a water bottle stuck in between the caliper and rim. it was caused by someone in the family putting it in moms '05 taurus wagon and forgetting about it...lol chairfall.gif chair.gif (happened a week ago)
SGB
the easiest "check" is to see if the wheel (and lug bolts) get excessively hot....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.