Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cutting the dashboard face
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TINCAN914
I want to install my CHT gauge on the dash face of my car, (saw this at RRC) looked real clean. My thought was to cut a larger dia hole where the lighter is. I'm not sure the best way to go about doing this. What's the best way to cut it? Anyone know if I need to remove the entire dash, just the kneepad? advice anyone???
Brew
I got the hole saw!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif
bd1308
Unplug the battery, and i'd just drill through the material
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Brew @ Oct 17 2006, 06:30 AM) *

I got the hole saw!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif

Want to come over and help me out? Beer's on me..... drunk.gif
My fear is what's behind the dash and the probability that I will sever everything once I begin cutting.... headbang.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 06:34 AM) *

Unplug the battery, and i'd just drill through the material

Britt,

I have a hole saw perfect size. The problem is since the lighter hole is already on existance, there is nothing for the drill bit to bite into to pull the teeth into the metal and the teeth on the drill teeth just slide... sad.gif
Brew
I'll be there ~ 4:20pm, if that's cool with you. beerchug.gif

If you want it where the lighter is, maybe just move the new hole off center enough to miss the lighter hole with the pilot bit, but still engulf it?

We'll figure something out. drunk.gif biggrin.gif
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Brew @ Oct 17 2006, 07:03 AM) *

I'll be there ~ 3:20pm, if that's cool with you. beerchug.gif

If you want it where the lighter is, maybe just move the new hole off center enough to miss the lighter hole with the pilot bit, but still engulf it?

We'll figure something out. drunk.gif biggrin.gif

That's cool with me.... Thanks man-Dingo...
Brew
Note edit on time change, Bri. I have to run to the folks house and deliver a tailgate for Pops truck.
TINCAN914
QUOTE(Brew @ Oct 17 2006, 07:08 AM) *

Note edit on time change, Bri. I have to run to the folks house and deliver a tailgate for Pops truck.

Works for me..
blitZ
You might consider mounting under dash, no holes, no worries. This place has brackets.

Egauges
bd1308
wait a sec, cant you find one of those cone shaped bits to drill holes with? They step from a very small size to a very LARGE size, and drill concentric with the cig lighter hole. Dunno if thats what you want, but seems like you'd want it centered with something.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 06:52 AM) *

wait a sec, cant you find one of those cone shaped bits to drill holes with? They step from a very small size to a very LARGE size, and drill concentric with the cig lighter hole. Dunno if thats what you want, but seems like you'd want it centered with something.

that would be one LARGE and expensive Unibit...

but a good idea
G e o r g e
if drilling off center doesn't allow a descent guide hole location, take some scrap sheet metal and a couple of self taping screws and fill in the lighter hole then drill. place the screws just outside of the lighter hole. also i would cut the vinyl as a hole saw will pull the living sheet out of it. beerchug.gif
majkos
QUOTE(George H. @ Oct 17 2006, 06:56 AM) *

if drilling off center doesn't allow a descent guide hole location, take some scrap sheet metal and a couple of self taping screws and fill in the lighter hole then drill. place the screws just outside of the lighter hole. also i would cut the vinyl as a hole saw will pull the living sheet out of it. beerchug.gif

agree.gif
Bartlett 914
How big of a hole are you talking about? Electricial knockout punch will give the best hole. Far better than you would get by using a hole saw and you don't need to worry about a backing plate. I have some larger ones I can loan. I also agree about cutting the vinyl first.
pfierb
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 17 2006, 09:52 AM) *

I use them all the time in my work and the results are great and they are easy to use but Aaron is right they can be very expensive to use only one time.
Bartlett 914
Just a reminder. There is the vinyl. This is adhered to a thin sheet metal strip. The dash is behind this. Where the switches are located, there is a raised section. This means that the strip of sheet metal with the vinyl contacts the dash at these points. There is some foam adhesive strips elsewhere. I would remove it all to make sure you get the best installation. That is a lot more work but less guessing.
Brew
Mark,

A Greenlee should punch thru all of it in one shot, no? Maybe not the vinyl, but all else?
TINCAN914
I removed the kneepad, and cross cut the vinyl (will be replaced anyway) in short order. cut a small piece of sheetmetal and used two sheet metal screws for a guide on the hole saw (couldn't cut butter). So I used a drill bit went around the edge until it looked like an old dial phone. Cut the tabs and now I'm grinding it smooth with a dremel.... a little more work, but I think it will be the cleanest this way with the limited tools I have for a project like this... Thanks for the feedback all Pics later..
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Brew @ Oct 17 2006, 10:36 AM) *

Mark,

A Greenlee should punch thru all of it in one shot, no? Maybe not the vinyl, but all else?

Looks like he has it already! I think a greenlee might do it in one cut. but I personally wouldn't try it. Remember there is a gap between the 2 pieces of metal. A greenlee will smash them together and deform the outer piece.
JPB
You all have dashes?
Brew
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Oct 17 2006, 11:32 AM) *

Remember there is a gap between the 2 pieces of metal. A greenlee will smash them together and deform the outer piece.

Ahh, now I see. I missed the part about the gap.
TINCAN914
20-30 minutes of grinding the edges to round them out and smooth them out, and presto.... Vinyl is gone.. I was afraid it would happen, and it did.... No biggie, easy enough to replace, and not to expensive... trying to clean up the wires, but will wait and finish that part up tomorrow....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.