Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lets talk BIG front brakes.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jeroen
wow Howard, that's a sweet setup!
which pedal cluster is that?
and how's your legroom?
JPB
Howser wowser's pedal assembly make me wanna...........GET ME SOMA DEM!!! You Australian's has gots it goin on.

beer.gif Me wants, me likes.
JPB
QUOTE(xitspd @ Oct 20 2006, 09:14 PM) *

BRAKES! I agree with Joe. I COVET YOUR FRONT BRAKES JOE! Pic # 1 Jeff Hayes the best 914 pilot I have ever known. Pic is 4 or 5 years old. (3.8, 8 Piston brakes) Pic # 2 One of my boss's collection GT40. Jeff's car had much more stopping power. Power in the GT40 is unreal! I have driven both. Pic # 3 My WRX with 18 inch wheels from Japan and a Cool Rotors braking system. Some how the car has found it's way to my Son-in-Law's garage! idea.gif Jeff Hayes is the Founder of Cool Rotors.

Dan

Ahhh nice pics and ahhhh nice reality check. 914's are on jack stands for repairs only inversly, GT40's are on role backs for forward movement.LOL

beer.gif Ford, where making cars is still a challenge. wacko.gif
JPB

Sorry, couldn't resist.
The last two 914s i had I put the 320 calipers up front and a Tee instead of a prop VALVE. Worked just fine, but didn't lower my lap times. Stopping in a straight line aint the point, it's all about stopping in a panic situation in a corner, possibly in the rain. With no prop valve on a stock system you are likely to see where you've been, not where you're going.
[/quote]

So Sammy, did you mean removing the Pvalve on the car if I use some rotor eating pads like Raysbestosiseses on the front rotors? I will certainly give it the old test down my road for safety in a panic situation though. And since noone has mentioned it, I don't think, yes my rear pads are vented correctly.

beer.gif Less is more and stepin wit da big boas.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Howard R @ Oct 20 2006, 11:49 PM) *

]Dicks are bigger south of the equator.

Yeah, How tall are you? w00t.gif

I like the slave on the clutch, any problems?

All that cool stuff on your teener and you can't get the steering wheel on the

correct side of the car. cool.gif Peace Mate.
Mountain914
Yeah baby, let's show them wilwood's !!
(I also have 23mm MC, 17" wheels, yada yada yada)
IPB Image
Sammy
On street cars, the front brakes are designed to have significanty more stopping power than the rears in the name of safety. That's part of the reason for the proportioning valve. It limits the pressure to the rear brakes making the car safer in a panic stop in a corner, on slippery pavement, etc.

On an otherwise stock system removing the valve will make the rears more aggressive which will make them tend to lock earlier. That increases the chances of the back coming around. You better be really good at trail braking and rotating the car into the apex.

Removing the prop valve will actually improve your stopping distance in a straight line on dry pavement yada yada but not in a corner or on wet pavement. As the rears start to lock you will have to let up on the brakes to modulate them. If you are really quick you can do it, but you are still using less brakes than if the rears didn't lock.

To answer your question, I dunno. I haven't played with those particular pads to know how much difference they make. I know that to maintain the same balance without a prop valve you have to increase the front brakes quite a bit ie 320 calipers.
Howard
:dinosaur smiley:

Pussies, yer all pussies. Brakes are for pussies. Ya can't win a race with yer foot on the brakes. Back when I learned the little I know about racing...

Real men drove fragile cars. Brakes faded, cars overheated, trannies and engines failed a lot easier than they do today. You had to make up for it with driving skill and empathy for your car.

And I walked ten miles to school in the snow. Up hill. Both ways.

Back to your regular scheduled program.

JPB
Yes Sammy i have 320s in the front and figured mean pads would make them even more aggressive thus a bit safer.

I'm not a frigin pussy! Please give me some respect and use the clinical "manjina" term since I have a so called brake upgrade. biggrin.gif

So.Cal.914
JPB if you put an adjustable valve instead of a "T" you will be able to set the

preasure to the rear brakes to your likeing. I know you are going to go out and

play and you have rain so I would sudjest the adjustable valve. Go out to a large

parking lot in the rain and turn the valve in increments until it handles the way

you want under hard braking and cornering. It will be safer that way IMHO.
JPB
Ya, that it the best and smartest way and what I will end up doing.

beer.gif Coulden't get any heavy opinions on the Pvavlve deal but you can't say I didn't try. happy11.gif
brant
I felt like you got multiple heavy opinions on the T-valve "deal" as you call it...

many people suggested that you keep some type of proportioning valve.
for example.. my post 3 pages back about a true life experience of going off into a ditch backwards at 80mph becuase of braking into a corner with a T

that personal experience involved 911 S front calipers with stock rear 914 calipers (that I had vented). Race pads and race tires on both front and rear. I had a car that used an adjustable P-valve set to full open.
Technically my class rules didn't allow and adjustable valve, so since I had it at full open I decided to replace it with a T. about the 3rd time on a dry track I found the car suddenly going backwards. Can you guess what I did the brakes before the next time I put the car on the track?

your beating a dead horse to try and get a rise out of people
don't know how that thrills you but it apparently does.
JPB
Yes you are correct but the replies were all like what you have said and noone posted differently in an enraged fashion which makes for good reading.LOL I read your post and appreciated your good judgement since all your replies, as well as many from others, were right on the money. thumb3d.gif THNX
Eric_Shea
Dicks are bigger south of the equator.

And they drive on the wrong side of the car. We put ours on the left w00t.gif wink.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 21 2006, 11:55 AM) *

Dicks are bigger south of the equator.

And they drive on the wrong side of the car. We put ours on the left w00t.gif wink.gif

I wonder if it is for the same reason there water spins the wrong way down the drain?
Downunderman
Its a generic Tilton unit. The brake pedal is in the same position as the stock setup. The clutch throw is much shorter than the cable arrangement, like about 2-3". I can do the setup down the back because the clutch is a 911 type pull clutch with a 911 flywheel, rather than the 901/914 style. With a push style clutch you could use a concentric throw out slave/bearing around the guide tube. The overall setup works really well. Its nice to be able to adjust the bias on the go. The clutch reservoir came off a motorcycle.

I'm 180 cm and have plenty of room. I used to be 6' but I shrank a bit with effect of gravity I think. But i'm no Cartman, all prick and ribs - 70 kg.
Aaron Cox
howard - which willwood calipers are those?
pete-stevers
jp your bmw brakes may fit with spacers
i have a set of 1977 325 brakes on the back of harlot i had to space them but at least i got vented rotors on the back...but i hate parking on hills.....
i bought erics rear calipers set up for vented...to replace.....
plus the tee will put to much pressure on your rear and that my freind is not gud on the road...of course depending on your fronts.....
big brakes are cool.....no matter what they tellyou....
they're like a big "set".....eye catching and fun to play with
xitspd
QUOTE(Howard R @ Oct 20 2006, 11:52 PM) *

sedtrhy

Very nice! Maybe OT, show us the motor!

Thanks,

Dan
Downunderman
Forged billet Superlites 3.5" bolt spacing. The fronts bolt straight on with a 3mm spacer. At the rear you have to cut the mounts off and weld some new ones on. 3.2 Carrera discs on the front and SC on the rear.
JPB
Nice setup and making/welding new mounts is a snap over here.

beer.gif As for the south of the border thing friend, remember you are always looking up/north at my bull balls. biggrin.gif

Big balls a beautifull, according to the babes, but damn they are alot of maintenence.
Downunderman
You should appreciate that its only convention that the world is depicted the way it is. It really looks like this:
So.Cal.914
av-943.gif

Only in the land of OZ.
JPB
av-943.gif
That would put you on top of the world after Antarctica. So why do they say you are from Downunder then? :idea:With them pedals mate, I have no dought on who the man is in these parts!!
So.Cal.914
According to your map then we are south of the border. Kinda screwed yourself

out of those bragging rights Mate. Still like your clutch setup.
VintageExcellence
996 brakes on my 73 3.2 conversion

neo914-6
QUOTE(VintageExcellence @ Nov 14 2006, 10:59 AM) *

996 brakes on my 73 3.2 conversion

Nice, I have 996/boxster S as well. Did you fab your own mount, modify the hubs, and what rotors did you use?

I "think" Brad was joking about Cayenne calipers but I "almost" bought a pair at $600. There's no problem fitting them on 18" wheels. Some advantages of "Modern" calipers are they don't usually need a rebuild, have new metal, hardware, and the latest manufacturing processes...

I agree with Joe O's of just trying something no one else has done yet.
JPB
Brad missleading? IMPOSSIBLE! biggrin.gif I got a quote for $600 each at Napa and then I thought, I need to be able to role before I need to stop this jack stand biotch.

beer.gif When racing, one needs to take breaks from the brakes since the brake breaks keep the car racing as opposed to breaking from racing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.