Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dads914
I'm looking for help! I stripped one of my head studs and need someone in or near the San Fernando valley who will let me rent (or borrow) their helicoil tools or whetever is used for that kind of repair (including the breakoff tool. I will have the helicoil so I just need the tools). Can anyone here help a fellow teener? Thanks for your help.
Greg
SGB
Sure Greg- oh wait I don't have the tool.... And I live in Alabama. Good luck, man. You prolly have more club members in your neighboorhood than I have in my State so I'll bet its not a problem.
Well, y'know I read the thread and saw it was going down.
cantley914
QUOTE(Dads914 @ Oct 19 2006, 03:38 PM) *

I'm looking for help! I stripped one of my head studs and need someone in or near the San Fernando valley who will let me rent (or borrow) their helicoil tools or whetever is used for that kind of repair (including the breakoff tool. I will have the helicoil so I just need the tools). Can anyone here help a fellow teener? Thanks for your help.
Greg

Hey dad`s !!!
What size do you need?
I have 10mm X 1.25
Didn`t get a chance to look in my book for the size.

Let me know

Steph
Gary#
You might be able to have the proper tool loaned/rented to you at the same flaps
when you buy the helicoil. Worth a shot. Call around. My local napa will loan you some special tolls.
Gud Luck. Not a fun job. smash.gif whack_3.gif
rcrgrl
i could be confused, but i think the only tools you need should come with the helicoil at the parts store - it should include the tap, and the insertion tool. last one i did was for a spark plug so that might be different, but it included everything i needed and i had to buy it anyway to get the actual helicoil part...
cantley914
QUOTE(rcrgrl @ Oct 19 2006, 06:53 PM) *

i could be confused, but i think the only tools you need should come with the helicoil at the parts store - it should include the tap, and the insertion tool. last one i did was for a spark plug so that might be different, but it included everything i needed and i had to buy it anyway to get the actual helicoil part...

agree.gif
But they come in a kit with 12 helicoils + the chaser + the inserting tool=approx$75.00
I know I had to buy a whole kit to repair the timing belt tensionner on my 2001 Civic. !!
I have some left + the req`d tools if it can help anyone.

Steph beerchug.gif
bd1308
he needs a end tap, one with a flat end to it, so he can thread a hole that ends in the head.

I have a helicoil tool that I used to patch the transmission speedo sender hold-down bolt. it worked fine, I can mail you mine if you want.
Mueller
Easy, just use a bolt of the proper size and modify the end with a file or grinder.

Thread the insert onto the bolt, you'll be able to see where you'll have to grind down to get the bolt to "drive" the insert around. You'll have to play with the angle a little bit, but you should be able to figure it out in a few minutes of trial and error.

I ended up having to do this a few times since the kits at my FLAPS have a plastic insert tool with a metal tip that fails.

As for the breakoff tool, nothing special about that either, use another bolt that is smaller than the minor diameter (slips thru the insert)....a smooth rod might be better so it does not get hung up on the threads when you smack it...

Dads914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 20 2006, 12:37 AM) *

Easy, just use a bolt of the proper size and modify the end with a file or grinder.

Thread the insert onto the bolt, you'll be able to see where you'll have to grind down to get the bolt to "drive" the insert around. You'll have to play with the angle a little bit, but you should be able to figure it out in a few minutes of trial and error.

I ended up having to do this a few times since the kits at my FLAPS have a plastic insert tool with a metal tip that fails.

As for the breakoff tool, nothing special about that either, use another bolt that is smaller than the minor diameter (slips thru the insert)....a smooth rod might be better so it does not get hung up on the threads when you smack it...

I did end up finding the helicoil kit that comes with a few inserts and the insert tool, so I'm just going to buy that. The breakoff tool is where I thought I had a problem, but I think you might have just solved that thanks muller.

Thank you everyone else for your help keeping the topic at the top so it would be seen and thanks for your offers of help. The club is always the place to be for great advice.
Greg drunk.gif
jk76.914
Did you consider a stepped stud? I used one on my engine when it went back together. I can't remember exactly, but I think it was 9mm at one end and 8mm at the other. Both ends are the same pitch, so when you tap the 9mm thread, the new threads cut what's left of the old threads deeper. Pretty easy repair.

Seems to me that the 1.8 used these as factory standard.

(Someone who's done more than one engine should comment at this point!)

Jim

Brad Roberts
Jim nailed it.

I have been buying the oversized studs from Zims for years. This is a very good solution. The helicoils always feel "loose" to me when installing the new stud. I think I'll timesert my next one.

B
old dkp
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 20 2006, 02:23 PM) *

Jim nailed it.

I have been buying the oversized studs from Zims for years. This is a very good solution. The helicoils always feel "loose" to me when installing the new stud. I think I'll timesert my next one.

B

The step-stud is 9x8 thread pitch 1.25 I also like Time Serts but you can use the Perma-Thread heli-coil kit part# 1221-309 9 x 1.25 they cost about $35.00. or would you like to borrow mine? i can send it priority mail? i
m in the bay area. Christo.....
BMXerror
Oh shit. I just posted about a stripped exhaust stud JUST NOW, and I didn't see this. Sorry for the redundancy.
Mark D.
BMXerror
I looked on Zims website and couldn't find any stepstuds. Is it a special order sort of thing, where you have to specifically ask? Sorry for the Hijack Dads. smile.gif
Mark D.
PORobinSCHE
also my want to use a dab of green locktite when eintalling the heli-coil. #609 works good. it will keep the insert from backing out later

Robin

BTW if you folk didn't all live on the left coast we'd probably be able to help more chairfall.gif
Jake Raby
I have chromoly studs in 8x8, 9x8 and 10x8 just for these purposes..
jk76.914
Here ya go.

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=N0146841

Jim
Sammy
$25 at the FLAPS should get you everything you need, except the drill motor and a steady hand.
BMXerror
Hey Jake. You said you had 8X10mm stepped exhaust studs for the T4, but all I found on your site were the rocker studs. Is that what you were talking about? Do those work for exhust studs? If so, they are 1.50 thread pitch on the big side, right? Thanks.
Mark D.
Jake Raby
Those rocker studs will work for exhaust studs... They work very well!
BMXerror
Thanks Jake. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
jk76.914
earlier I brought up 8/9mm step studs on this thread.

So then today, I went out to the garage to checkout this tiny putt-putt exhaust leak I thought I had, and what do you know? The only 8/9mm step stud I put in my engine when it was rebuilt 1000 miles ago had pulled.

So now I think that unless you're SURE about the quality of your stripped 8mm hole, you should go with the 8/10mm step stud. That way you'll get to good solid aluminum almost for sure.

I'm thinking now about a timesert to repair mine. My stripped out hole is about 9mm, and rough, so I'm not that sure it'll hold even the 10mm for the long run....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.