Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: VBWS, Virginia Breakfast Wrench and Suds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
root
VBWS, Virginia Breakfast Wrench and Suds beerchug.gif

O.K. Here's what we are planning for Saturday Nov. 4.

Morning - Breakfast and Tech Session / Afternoon - Suds and Whatever

7:30AM ... Meet at the Amphora Diner in Herndon for Breakfast.
8:30AM ... Off to MATSYS (roots garage) for a Teener TECH & TIG Session
a) tear down a 1.8L "for the hell of it"
cool.gif Anybody who has a Teener part or tool or whatever to
make or fix that requires welding can bring it with
them. As long as it's mild steel, stainless, aluminum, or copper
Noonish .... Breakout the grill (dogs, burgers and chips).
1PM ...... Back to the Tech Session, cooler with Suds.

It's kinda like what Jim Kelly and I normally do on the weekend except a few more teeners around this time. welder.gif

I was also thinking we could drive up to PA Friday night and tow EVIL's car
back to Sterling and get it running for him on Saturday as well!
Just kidding Evil...... happy11.gif .

Everyone's welcome, all genders, let me know if your comin' and I'll keep a list of attendees going on this post!
terrymason
tell me again why I moved to VA beach dry.gif
root
Terry,
Certainly you can make it to Sterling! driving.gif
Come up Friday night and stay at my place if you like.
That way you won't miss the early morning breakfast.
Did you get those new calipers mounted, bled, and stopping!
terrymason
rebuilt calipers mounted
new front brake lines installed (rubber and hard)
new 19mm master cylinder installed

brakes 90% bled - I can lock up the right tires. I should be able to finish it all up pretty soon.

I'd love to come, but will have to pass this time. We'll have to plan to meet at your place in the near future :-)
jimkelly
Great idea - I lilke sxx, dxxxx, rxxx and rxxx and - oh yeah - 914's : )

I've also been know to drink a beer or two while indulging in fatty meats : ))

I gotta give the extra curricular activities some thought - hummmmmmmm?

Jim
type47
chowtime.gif welder.gif jsharp.gif beer3.gif doesn't get any better....
Dr Evil
AW crap, the timing is good, teh distance sucks ass, and my car doesnt work. I may just have to go thumb3d.gif This will be the day after my big renal exam (the one many fail and have to repeat). I aint working on anyones car, though. I think it is time for some east coast tough love where I start making ya'll fix yer own damn cars wink.gif

Hey Root, I should have my holy 914/6 heat exchangers in my posetion by then. Wanna try to see about welding them up and or fabricating some new ones? idea.gif

If someone wants to come up and tow my car down, I would not stop them sad2.gif
JPB
Sounds like a plan fella and you can count me in. thumb3d.gif
root
Just got home from hockey practice!
Great to see some interest coming in already.

Set November 4th aside for VbWs! My wife's doin' the cooking so I can welder.gif

Evil, I love tiggin' SS. Do you know what type 304, 316, or special alloy?
It's always good to have a test part (setup / tuneup piece). So if you can get me the gage thickness and type SS that would be very helpful. Don't worry 'bout the weld supplies those are on-the-house (I got plenty of argon, tunsten electrodes, cup insulators, and filler rod). smoke.gif

Oh!? by-the-way what's a "big renal". I think I might have one of those, myself. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
They are not SS or I would not need to have them welded. I was pondering making some SS boxes....well talk. As they stand, though, they are the oreiginal steel and in need of repair so I dont freeze my ass off this winterish season should the thing actually work rolleyes.gif
root
O.K. so mild steel, all rusty right? We'll need some similar guage patches then right?
Just bring 'em we'll figure out something, no problem.
Make sure you study HARD, so you pass your exam GOOD!
I'll be down here in Virginia drunk.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(terrymason @ Oct 20 2006, 10:31 AM) *

tell me again why I moved to VA beach dry.gif
Va beach eh? I'll be down your way early next week for the Social D. show Mon night. Gonna stay over night and go see an old friends new shop tues. As for the meet on Nov 4.....If you guys ever make plans like a month in advance I might make one of these outings flipa.gif I might just have to blow off responsibilities and head up idea.gif Or maybe I'll never show up and become the new Miles. Then when no one likes me I'll change to Miles clear, and when that doesn't werk I'll go back to being Miles classic . huh.gif Head hurt bad.................
root
Hey Scotty b, did we meet at ECC? beer.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(root @ Oct 20 2006, 06:12 PM) *

Hey Scotty b, did we meet at ECC? beer.gif

You met Evil Scotty B. He goes places I should be posing as me and pissing people off happy11.gif Seriously though no you haven't met me. I was in Hatteras that week and couldn't make it. I have yet to make it to any event, maybe because I fear what may happen to me ............

in my ..........

Volvo unsure.gif
VaccaRabite
Huh. Sterling VA is only about 100 miles or so from me. I wonder if I am free on the 4th.

Of course my welding project would require bringing the rotesserie...

Zach
type47
icon_bump.gif
root
WOO-WEE! Jim thanks for the 6AM Bump.
What are you doing up at 6AM on a Saturday?
Practicing for the November 4th 7:30 AM breakfast maybe? biggrin.gif
root
icon_bump.gif
JPB
[/quote]

I have yet to make it to any event, maybe because I fear what may happen to me ............in my ..........Volvo unsure.gif
[/quote]

SCHMIT Scott that ain't nothing, Ive been sporting my companie's weld tuck for a year now.LOL Not hot with the babes since the car is still at the paint shop and with some luck, all winter long. av-943.gif

beer.gif I have no pride to get in the way of my huge...large...big....decent...good...alright relatively okay 914 monthly budget.
root
beer.gif I have no pride to get in the way of my huge...large...big....decent...good...alright relatively okay 914 monthly budget.[quote]

JPB do you weld for a living! R you a pro? If so we'd really like your presence at this event for pointers, insight's, beads, etc... you might offer. welder.gif

We offer electrical power, argon, filler rod, consumable's, dog's, burgers, chips, soda and/or beer! boldblue.gif

LESS THAN 14 days left 'till VbWs.
Let me know who's coming and who' not. poke.gif
Resonse to date:

root
Jim Kelly
type47
Dr Evil
scotty b (? can't understand your response)
JPB (?)
Vacca Rabite (?)

JPB
Ya buddy, I'll be there and I can tig pretty well. I have A36 filler rod for mild steel if you wanna try that. I guess you have the l308 filler rod for stainless, just guessing but stainless requires a triple shield or high helium gas mix if you don't have it. Argon is good for mild steel and aluminum. I will also have my stick welder and if needed I'll bring my little Lincoln mig 110 flux core deal if you want? That way everyone can have a try for themselves and have fun with it.

beer.gif I'll be there.
root
Great man .... glad you can make it!
Here's what I have at the shop:
- my "old as me" oxy/acetylene
- Miller Dynasty 200 TIG / Stick
- 2 MIGs (Lincoln and Century)
- "old as me" 200 AMP Craftsman Stick
I'll make up a bunch of test coupons so everyone can try their hand.

updated list:

root
Jim Kelly
type47
Dr Evil
JPB

scotty b (? can't understand your response)
Vacca Rabite (?)
VaccaRabite
I checked my event log, and I can't make it unless a camping trip falls through that weekend.

Sorry.

Zach
scotty b
75% certain I will be there. I'm having a small roof leak/squirrels in the attack crisis that must be resolved first. I'll bring an extra welding helmet or 2 if needed.
JPB
Its on!!! blowtorch.gif welder.gif beerchug.gifI'll get some drops to work with.
Wow, lots of welding aparatasssssees.
root
icon_bump.gif jsharp.gif welder.gif jsharp.gif chowtime.gif beer3.gif
rmconner
Hi fellas,

First post here. I'm in Arlington and I don't have a 914 (yet!). Still, I'd love to come out for a few hours to meet some of the locals. I can bring a few 6 packs of sam adams beer.gif if you guys are willing to entertain me.

I'm a newbie in all respects but have gotten interested in the 914. From what I've read here they seem like fun, certainly unique cars. But before I start getting serious about buying one I figure I should see a few in person!
Dr Evil
welcome.png of course you are welcome. Stick arround, read old posts, ask plenty of questions and learn everything you can biggrin.gif
JmuRiz
I probably won't be able to go, have to head down south to pick up some furniture and a chainsaw from the in-laws.
plas76targa
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 20 2006, 02:57 PM) *

If someone wants to come up and tow my car down, I would not stop them sad2.gif

I'll offer up my tow bar laugh.gif it worked for 3,000 miles it can work for another hundred or so.

Nuts! 11/04 is the weekend the wife and I will be away celibrating 15 yrs. I can't cancel that. Bad enough not noticing the hair cut. Don't want to think about further repurcusions!

You all have a good time. Hopefully I can make the next one!
root
So far here's who I've got-

root
Jim Kelly
type47
Dr Evil
JPB
rmconner (newbie)

correct me if there's someone I'm missing slap.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(root @ Oct 24 2006, 09:33 AM) *

So far here's who I've got-

root
Jim Kelly
type47
Dr Evil
JPB
rmconner (newbie)

correct me if there's someone I'm missing slap.gif

bye1.gif
root
Sorry scotty b,

New list below-

root
Jim Kelly
type47
Dr Evil
JPB
rmconner (newbie)
scotty b

Don't forget bring a weldable broken something and we'll fix it at VbWs!

jsharp.gif chowtime.gif welder.gif blowtorch.gif beerchug.gif
type47
welder.gif
type47
beerchug.gif
root
icon_bump.gif welder.gif icon_bump.gif
Dr Evil
The /6 heat exchangers showed up today (thanks Mark!) and should provide the crew with hours of frustration, I mean FUN!
root
The /6 heat exchangers showed up today (thanks Mark!) and should provide the crew with hours of frustration, I mean FUN![quote]

Good Stuff..... I'll be sure to stock up on wire wheels, etc.

By the way Evil, what have you learned about 'ulcers'?
My youngest son (20 year old) was diagnosed 2 days ago with an
ulcer in his duodenim. The Doc at Mercy Medical center is trying to figure
what 'caused it and whether it is healing or getting worse. Know anything about these
things? idea.gif
Dr Evil
I know a bit about ulcers, BUT not more than a practicing physician. At best, my current medical knowledge is best used to explain things in plain english and to give people good ideas as to where to look for more info or what to ask the doc.

A quick tid bit for you to search on wikipedia: Helicobacter pylori (SP?) A very common cause of peptic ulcers. They will likely put him on antibiotics to mitigate such a bug should it be there. If it is healing on its own then they may leave it alone. We can talk more on Sat, I gots to go learn more about how pee is made and how the body deals with electrolyte imballances.

Weeeeee happy11.gif
type47
for your mapquest search:

Amphora's Diner Deluxe
1151 Elden St,
Herndon, VA

703-925-0900

chowtime.gif

and

icon_bump.gif

type47
randy: if you got this, reply here

oh, and icon_bump.gif
root
We are still on for this Saturday! driving.gif
7:00AM Amphora's Diner Deluxe chowtime.gif
After Breakfast we go to Root's Shop (there's 2 bays available and plenty of parking)
Noontime jsharp.gif
Afternoon Make it up as we go! beer.gif
root
Opps! I meant 7:30AM headbang.gif

Correction below:
We are still on for this Saturday! driving.gif
7:30AM Amphora's Diner Deluxe chowtime.gif
After Breakfast we go to Root's Shop (there's 2 bays available and plenty of parking)
Noontime jsharp.gif
Afternoon Make it up as we go! beer.gif
smdubovsky
I'll try to make it. The teener has no heat (plus the carbs hate the cold) so I'll see if I can swipe the wifes boxster.

Im going to look at a pair of porsches for a friend (before noon) so I wont be able to make it to roots. Breakfast is always good though. I might be able to stop on the way back? Can someone email me directions or an address?

Tnx,
SMD
scotty b
could I get a phone no. or Roots address? I probably won't make it in time for breakfast and will have to show up at the house.
Dr Evil
There is no way that I am gonna be down there before 11am, will we still be goofing with the welders and such? My HEs are in and I am wanting to fixem.
rmconner
I'm planning to come out and meet you guys for breakfast etc but I have to get back to arlington for lunch duties around noon or 1 (girlfriend's sister is in town...). drunk.gif

-Mike
root
There is no way that I am gonna be down there before 11am, will we still be goofing with the welders and such? My HEs are in and I am wanting to fixem'.

Evil, welding is the main theme for this gathering, of 'course anything goes. If we get bored there's a 1.8 we can rip into, plenty of tranny's to devour, along with food and suds. At some point I'll pull out the 2.0 Jim gave me and let everyone check it out. Here's it's current state of rebuild:
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Good to hear. I'm sad to miss breakfast, but believe it or not no less than 3 people PMed me and offered to putme up for the night so I could make it in the morning drunk.gif What a great bunch! I will be carpooling with Brian again so that Noel can use our car so no can do. Probably leave at 8am get there 10:30-11. I was trying to see if there was some way to look as a Saturn while I was down there (the one I want is like 30 mi away), but it is not lookng feasable so I may have to drive back down on Sun if the dealership is open. It sucks living outin the middle of no where (and having one working vehicle) :roleyes:
bob
I may be able to swing by just after noontime, so if someone can PM me...

thanx!
-bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.