Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northstar V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rat
I noticed that KEP had an adaptor and clutch package for the northstar engine ,since it is lighter than a SBC by 200 lbs and is at the 300 hp and 310 #ft of tourque that would work with a 901.Since it was designed for front wheel drive the water pump is not on the front of the engine .Just wondering if its ever been done?
Mueller
not sure where you got the 200 pounds lighter figure, cause I don't see a SBC weighing 700 pounds blink.gif

Most published data lists the SBC as being in the 575 range.

Subaru 2.5L N/A 285lbs. The motor mounts are 4 lbs
Subaru 2.5L intercooled turbo 320lbs. The motor mounts are 4lbs.

Northstar V8 n/a 510lbs. The motor mounts = 12 lbs
Northstar V8 twin turbo 565lbs. The motor mounts = 12 lbs

LS1 V8 n/a 480lbs. The motor mounts = 12 lbs
LS1 V8 twin turbo 520lbs. The motor mounts = 12 lbs

The above info is from a site that specializes in sand rails and I'd belive it to be pretty darn correct.

andys
Mueller,

The weight for the LS1 sounds high. From memory (gulp) the shipping weight for an LS1 crate motor from Sallee was 425lbs. which includes the crate. I haven't weighted my LS1, but from just muscling it around it "feels" WAAAY LIGHTER than an SBC. Everything on that motor is either aluminum or plastic, with a few steel parts thrown in.

Andys
914rat
Sorry the info I was looking at was for a dry longblock.Daaaaa.410 lbs.
BIGKAT_83
The weight of my LS1 ready to mount in the 914 with the water pump and alternator is 414 LB.
Andys right you can even tell the difference from a sbc pushing it around on a furniture dolley.
boxstr
From CL http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/223513565.html
Nothstar V8 and trans

Northstar 32 valve all aluminum motor, 300 hp, dual over head cams. Very complete.
Includes: all accessories and brackets, exhaust manifolds, ps pump, map sensor, computer, wiring harness,coil packs, throttle body, water pump, alternator is cracked but bracket is fine, plugs, wires, you get the picture, it's all there. This over $2000 worth of parts over and above the motor itself if you are putting it in a buggy or something and had to get them all seperatly. I didn't ask the mileage or year of the Caddy but the engine line date is 7-19-95 so it was probably a '96 model year. I took it our of the guys garage with the crashed car next to it 5-6 years ago. I'm coming to realize that I'm not going to get to build the buggy I dreamed of any time soon so I'm selling the motor.
In case you want to know it weighs 510 lbs.(complete, dry) without the trans. Great for a hot rod, sand car, or rockcrawler.

It's very clean but I found a crack in the intake from the accident, might be fixable but it's easier to replace it with a stock one or an aftermarket one if you are going to hot rod the motor. It is all intact.

It also includes the 4T80E Hydromatic transmission and trans axle out to the inner Cv joints. Trans pan is cracked but can be tig welded and used
LS6/914
I have not installed a Northstar to a 914 yet. However I have spent many years as a Caddy driveability tech. While the Northstar will physically fit (just like a 928) the drawback is the weak headbolt, block thread inserts that will pull causing oil leaks. The water pump is driven off the rear of the left head and may interfere with the rear storage panel. (sawzall) If you wish to go further contact CaddyHotRodFabricators (CHRFAB.com) Awesome caddy fabricators.... Larry
jmmotorsports
I looked at the Northstar also when I was in the planing stage of my v8 project. The other engine I considered was the Audi V8. They are fairly cheap and shorter than the Northstar. They will bolt up to the Audi 016 or A4/A6,Boxter tranny.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.