Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT! Bad News for the Lotus...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
alpha434
Screw the damage. Screw the repair. It's totally not the same car as before. You can repair it, sure. But it only "looks" right. It's no longer "new." How bady does a one-eighth inch bend in the rear portion of the frame screw the suspension geometry? Bad.

They f*ed you good.
Qarl
Oh great!

It's spreading...

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/th...ndo-212968.php

sgomes
I'm still not clear on how this could even happen. If the car was so close to tipping that removing the front wheel made it go, couldn't the guy have grabbed onto the hub to keep it from going? God knows I would have been hugging that front hub like it was the last one on earth!

I'm so sorry for your loss Qarl. Keep us posted on exactly how far up their ass you go....

tat2dphreak
sorry, to see this man... I would have shed blood over this kind of BS!
rhodyguy
serenity NOW!!! wow. i believe i would have had a stroke. ex tech's response in the "why did you leave your last position?" portion of his new job application, "dropped a $40k+ (my guess) car off the lift".

k
GWN7
A few years ago a guy I worked with had bought a new truck in September and headed off to Florida. It was a brand new production model. When he got there he decided to get a oil change (3,400 miles) and took it to a national chain (can't remember which one). They had roll on lifts. The guy who drove it on shut it off in neutral and they didn't chock the tires. It rolled back as it was being lifted. Luckly the guy working on it grabbed a chock before it came off all the way and it was left hanging 1/2 on and 1/2 off the lift. No body damage, but the drive shaft was bent. The problem was there was no inventory anywhere for a replacement drive shaft and one had to be pulled from the production line in Detroit and shipped.

I'm just wondering it the same guy who worked on Quarl's car worked on my buddy's truck? Same town.........
TJB/914
Poor Qarl, he is now famous. This thing is spreading like fire accross the country.

Reading the various web-sites you get some interesting comments by the general idiots. Everything from Qarl is cheap, stupid to a genius way to get a new Lotus.
Qarl can I have your autograph?? pray.gif Qarl I know it's not funny, but this story has legs. Story line "Rich kid looses it on the rack"!!!

Tom
Mueller
major bummer....

quite a few idiots posting on that other site.....one guy must run a high end shop (ie, overpriced)...

gravity rules.......
rhodyguy
the other picture with the guys looking towards the front is pretty good. caption..."shit!!! is my snap-on box ok!!!". you should run a little ebay ad, think *howard's hose*. you'll make the local news. again, sorry for your loss karl
Mike D.
Sorry for you Q...

One of the guys on the other forum mentioned something I thought yesterday. Why in the hell was the car that far off the ground just to change the tire? It shouldn't have been more than a few inches; enough to get the tires up off the floor.

Did they have an answer for that?
Crazyhippy
The car is that high because it 's MUCH easier to work @ chest height than ground height.

It's much easier on the techs back too... Unless it's 100+lb truck tires

BJH
KaptKaos
Qarl made it onto Fark!

I hope you are not paying for bandwidth to your site, as its getting nailed right now.

It's not news, it's Fark!
URY914
Now this guy is a dick... mad.gif

"I'm not crying any tears.

If he can afford a brand new Lotus - its already paid off -
plus the insurance plus the vanity plates, then he needs not my sympathy."

Wonder what he drives?
crash914
I like the love from "Z"
Qarl
Woohoo! I think I'll go drink some more tequila.

Heard from Goodyear today. Right now it's in the hands of Dimmitt Lotus in Clearwater as to what's going to happen.

Any other links that are out there, let me know!

My 10 seconds of fame.

Qarl
iamchappy
Man is that Fark a tough group, I might have to drink some Mezcal and eat the worm.

Dont they know that Qarl is DA Man....
Qarl
Oh yeah... thanks for the love Z!

smilie_pokal.gif
Tobra
Truly Riveting

popcorn[1].gif
That bonded structure thing can get a stress riser in it and fail, seen it many times on carbon fiber orthotics. Not like fixin' a cracked frame.

Now how is he a bad person for saving his money and buying a toy, or hitting the lotto or inheritance sweepstakes. I can tell you for a fact if the wife hit a scratcher for a chunk of change, the ride would not look so sketchy

I am saving for my little toy a bit at a time
Eric_Shea
Oh great!

It's spreading...

You visit "other" forums? dry.gif

(sorry about the loss Q) sad.gif
wbergtho
I would find as aggressive an estimate as possible, see if you can get it written off and replaced.

I'd tell the shop that they are now the proud owner of a Lotus Elise and that it came to your shop in perfect condition and as a result of their jackass fuckup, you are not interested in having it back...even if the lotus factory does the repairs. Let this be their headache...not yours! When you bought the car...you were not looking for a repairable. That is exactly what this car will be after it is fixed. Get a lawyer and make them replace it! Your FIL and your pictures make a pretty clear case. Sorry to see this happened to you.
rick 918-S
Check the laws in Florida. I think there is a provision for loss in value in that state. Doesn't apply in every state.
Qarl
Unfortunately, the tragic event is becoming popular...

I posted to my friends at...

Elisetalk.com
914world.com

From there it's been to...

Fark.com
honda-tech.com
pelicanparts.com
spyderchat.com
jalopnik.com

Crap... just what I need... more publicity.

jhadler
Karl,

You can add another forum: rmsolo.org...

It's the local SCCA autox forum. You were crossposted by one of our local Elise drivers....

-Josh2
Qarl
Ha ha!

KaptKaos
QUOTE(crash914 @ Nov 7 2006, 05:17 PM) *

I like the love from "Z"

ph34r.gif
URY914
Q,

You made it to FerrariChat...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128013
VaccaRabite
Also a feature over on nasioc.com OT forum.
turboman808
HAHA you know this has poped up on Honda-tech now. biggrin.gif
Steve Thacker
Qarl,

I looked at one of your new toys at the dealership and I just love the lil' suckers. I'm glad you are able to own one. AND I'm real sorry I can't.
I'll go and cry now. sniff sniff biggrin.gif

Seriously I feel your pain brother......
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 7 2006, 06:34 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

I hope that's not in refernce to ME? WTF.gif
Qarl
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 8 2006, 04:58 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

You know I love your hairy ass! It's so furry... and squeezable... barf.gif

Just kidding. I thought you posted a comment on Fark...

Elisetalk.com has had 84,000 hits on my thread in 48 hours... I killed their server a few times yesterday... Oops! blink.gif
Qarl
Just got an e-mail from Maxim to be on their Sirius radio show about my car. Respectfully had to decline since the issue hasn't been resolved.

piratenanner.gif
rjames
Just happened upon this thread- wow. You should absolutely get a new car- that's why the shop is paying their insurance bill, for stuff like this.

BTW: Please don't take your 914-6 there for a tire change...

Best of luck!
Brando
I hate to say it, but it's almost guaranteed it's made it to Myspace's and Facebook's car forums laugh.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 8 2006, 02:24 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 8 2006, 04:58 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

You know I love your hairy ass! It's so furry... and squeezable... barf.gif

Just kidding. I thought you posted a comment on Fark...

Elisetalk.com has had 84,000 hits on my thread in 48 hours... I killed their server a few times yesterday... Oops! blink.gif

Nope....never heard of FARK until now....

Qarl
UPDATE: 11/10/06

Car has been deemed totalled.

According to their claims department, it's now up to Goodyear's Legal Department and their Insurance to make a determination as to handle the vehicle.

headbang.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 10 2006, 08:30 AM) *

headbang.gif

That's probably a good thing. After that drop, you wouldn't want that car fixed. See if you can buy the salvage too. Now you just need to fight them tooth and nail on the value. Good luck.
Allan
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 10 2006, 08:30 AM) *

[color=Red][size=4][b]UPDATE: 11/10/06

New car smell.

Mmmm...
dakotaewing
Qarl,
Do you have possession of the vehicle, or is it at some insurance yard, or in the possession of Goodyear ?
I would think that having possession of the vehicle would be a huge negotiation factor...

Not that I am you, but if I were, the car would in my garage - not anywhere else...

If you don't have the car, you're not totally in control of the car...
biosurfer1
Karl,

I don't understand what the question is..the car was less than year old right?

They owe you a new car, plain and simple...its not like a restored 914-6 where the value can change from person to person, you know exactly what the car is valued, just go look at a sticker price!
URY914
Q, I am guessing that this was a corporate owned store since you are dealing with G-year and not the franchise owner. Correct?
Qarl
Yes... Corporate
ejm
Bad week for Lotus owners... today I was at a PCA DE at Lime Rock..... talked to the couple that owns this car in the morning. They both drive, this time they left the 997 at home and brought hercar. Pretty sure he was driving, car caught a tire wall coming off the downhill. Car was back on the track later in the day after a substantial tape job.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 10 2006, 08:59 AM) *

Qarl,
Do you have possession of the vehicle, or is it at some insurance yard, or in the possession of Goodyear ?
I would think that having possession of the vehicle would be a huge negotiation factor...

Not that I am you, but if I were, the car would in my garage - not anywhere else...

If you don't have the car, you're not totally in control of the car...

Having the car in your possesion does not not make any difference in the claims settlement offer process. The rep will only agree to pay storage charges up to the settlement offer. Same with rental. If you can't come to an agreement on value the other carrier will either refer you to your carrier and settle with them, or send a check for the undisputed amount. If you choose to retain salvage and you can not come to an agreed value the rep will deduct a value for salvage from the check and mail it out. They are required to settle and send a check whether you agree or not. You have the option to pursue the matter via legal means if you feel you need to.

Better to work through things with a cool head. Most business people know how to do this.

Qarl, If I can offer anything send a pm.
messix
'chit man! you made it on to another board my local 4x4 boardcan you believe it!
carr914
Q, I feel your pain, as I personally totaled a car a month and a half ago. You are keeping a cool head about this (and becoming a celebrity, next time I see you can I have an autographed picture of the Lotus hanging?) and that is what is important. No loss of life, no injuries, everything else will work out, I'm sure . Good Luck and if you have to come back over to Dimmitt to sign papers or pick up the Exige, the beers are on me & Paul (especially since you are a cheap S.O.B, according to the other boards)

All The Best, T.C.
wbergtho
The fact that your car is deemed a total is very good news for you. Now you just have to help them understand how much a Lotus Elise is worth with similar mileage...so they know how much to make the check. It should be quite easy to determine the value because your car was so new and had (I'm assuming 2-3K on the odometer). If everything is dealt with in a fair and equitable manner (on Goodyear's end), you will recieve a check hefty enough to go out and buy another Elise with similar mileage. The valuation isn't a problem...but being treated fairly and expeditiously can be an unknown sometimes... That's why you have insurance...so they can slug this out for you if it becomes an ugly mess. Personally, I think you will be made whole...in a short period of time. GY techs were grossly negligent and cannot talk their way out of this one. Your father in law will help in some way I'm sure. Best of luck!
pfierb
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 10 2006, 06:03 PM) *

Bad week for Lotus owners... today I was at a PCA DE at Lime Rock..... talked to the couple that owns this car in the morning. They both drive, this time they left the 997 at home and brought hercar. Pretty sure he was driving, car caught a tire wall coming off the downhill. Car was back on the track later in the day after a substantial tape job.

Ed, You didn't get the diver down flag in the picture...... That Elise person is a Duct tape Rembrandt.
Paul
dmenche914
i say new car out of this, it won't be the same anymore. they owe you a new car. to bad your family is envolved in the bussiness, divorce anyone???? in fact hat I figure is probably the only reason the bozzo's are still breathing. you must really love your wife to not have killed her dad!

did the airbags deploy?

sorry this happend, family makes it so much worse.

like the time my dad clipped my 914 bump with the vanagon. He said don't worry, that I should be able to fix it easy!!! what do I do, sue him??? oh well, still has the dent. blood is thicker than.... oh wait a minute, father in law is not a blood relative.
seanery
holy shit man!

Why was this left out of the Cliff Notes version?!
sorry to hear about it Q!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.