Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT! Bad News for the Lotus...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Qarl
IPB Image

This is no joke...

fu@K, Sh!+, CR^P! DAMAGE!!!!
First of all, I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to except stick around and watch.

Dropped my Elise off to the local Goodyear shop to have new F1G3s installed. My Father-in-law is the service manager and has been for 10 years. He is out on medical leave, but he met me at the shop this morning, because he understands the uniqueness of the car.

I handed them the tire tools and opened the Owner's Manual to the jacking instructions so they would be clear. We went over all the instructions and they assured me I was in good hands.

We (my father-in-law and I both left)

1 hour later I get a call about the "accident" and that I needed to come down...

WTF!

The picture above is what I found...

It get's better. They said they read the manual, but not to the point where it spoke about the 4-point lift. After the crash, they continued reading. Yipee for me.

The damage is inclusive of the rear clam, front clam, underneath the driver's door, and a nice puncture through the bottom diffuser around the passenger seat area.

More pics here... http://www.my914-6.com/crap

When I was there, they had a wrecker attached with a winch to the front end so it wouldn't come crashing down. After it cleared the lift, the front end swung around and crashed into some tool chests.

I'm mostly worried about the rear structure... the puncture underneath and the loss of value of the car (it's paid off free and clear)!

I've already called Dimmit in Clearwater and they are expecting the vehicle. Goodyear has filed the claim with their carrier and has promised to fully cover the repair. Luckly my FIL was there as a witness.

What else do I need to be concerned about in the repair/insurance claim? Diminished value, loss of use (not my primary vehicle), etc.

Dammit!!!! And I have the Central Florida Lotus Fun Run on Saturday which I've been organizing. Guess I'll have to drive the 911.
Brew
Holy guacamole!!! That sucks, to say the least. I've got no constructive input, but Good Luck nonetheless!!!
d914
oh my,,,,,,that purely sucks.....you didn't kill anyone!!!! I think you need to show up in your pheasent hunting outfit!!!
turboman808
Jeez I am seeing this happen more and more. Do people just not know how to use lifts anymore.
MJHanna
OH Karl that just makes me sick looking at your pictures. I'm so sorry this happend to your Elise. Make sure they check the "frame" for any bends..... icon8.gif
pete-stevers
Karl that is really crappy!!! i would be beyond f'in pissed......
DNHunt
Since you are free t0 post this I assume you are not in the county lockup which is where I would be after severely injuring those idiots reproductive organs. You are a better man than me Karl. I am really sorry to see that.

Dave
nocones
Crap Qarl.

I'm suprised it weathered the fall as well as it did actually.
If it was my car I'd certainly be worried about the tub.
Insist on all new parts!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 6 2006, 12:25 PM) *

WTF!

agree.gif ohmy.gif

my worst nightmare ...
headbang.gif Andy
GWN7
Looking at the other pictures it looks like it is twisted....sorry to hear about it. sad.gif
jhadler
That SUCKS!!!

And you showed incredible patience at not smash.gif the numbnuts that did this.

I don't know where the monocoque ends and the body panels begin. The body panels, I'd be less worried about, but if the tub is tewaked, they'd better be buying you a new car... ar15.gif

Strangely enough, this is the THIRD thread that I've read about this. I first saw it on my local autox forum, from a fellow Elise owner who posted a link from the Elise forum.

They say good travels fast, and bad news travels even faster...

-Josh2
Ferg
WOW, that sucks...glad no one was hurt.

Given the nature of how these cars are built ect. I would not want that car back.

Hope it works out for the best.

Ferg.
tdgray
Damn Q.... you showed unbelieveable restraint... I would have killed the sumbitches chair.gif ar15.gif
914-8
Holy cr@p, that's terrible! Such a beautiful car. That's the ONLY new car currently on the market that gets my blood pumping. Even the undercarriage is beautiful!

How does that happen?!?
914nerd
That's terrible
You did show great restraint given the situation
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
I hope that you can get it all sorted out with the insurance and whatnot
Good luck

Ouch again,
Charles
KaptKaos
Its a thing and all things can be fixed. Just glad no one was underneath it. Everyone taught to use a lift knows to check the car when it's just off the ground to see if it's stable.

I am sure your father-in-law feels horrible. Make sure he knows its not his fault.

I would find as aggressive an estimate as possible, see if you can get it written off and replaced.

Sorry to see that. I am sure you will work it out.
Toast
WTF.gif

sad.gif

Good luck on the repairs. Hopefully you get a high quality repair shop. (although their doesnt seem to be many of those around anymore.)
Allan
Bummer Qarl...

I hope they take care of it in a timely manner and to your full satisfaction...
bondo
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Nov 6 2006, 01:27 PM) *

Everyone taught to use a lift knows to check the car when it's just off the ground to see if it's stable.

They may have done that... Note the front wheel is off. It may have been stable with the wheel on there, but once the wheel removal moved the CG... woops!

Qarl: Sounds like they're going to take care of you, but be ready to fight if they try to screw you! Oh, and thanks again for the pizza recipe.. yum!
Tobra
Check for damage on the exhaust too. That detail shot of the door makes it appear there is a bit of twist to the frame. Do the doors open a close properly, have you tried removing and reinstalling the top?

It is mid-engined for cryin' out loud, how do they dump it on its ass?
Cap'n Krusty
I'd certainly want to be "made whole", and (to me, at least) in this case that means a NEW car, just like the one you have (or "had"), delivered to your door, NOW. The loss of value is essentially incalculable, IMO, and they should be made to bear the full cost.
You should be able to participate in the event in YOUR Lotus. They have the money to make it happen, and it IS possible. In exchange for your dollars, you had reasonable expectations of having your car returned to you in the condition in which you turned it over to them. The Cap'n
ein 6er
UN ... FREAKING ..... BELIEVABLE!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

sorry man!! THAT sucks!!! hope you can get it back on the road soon!!.

PS ..... next time, just take them the wheels!!

dinomium
NoooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo!
That really SUCKS!

Diminished value is going to be a huge issue now that the gap, percentage wise have gotten so big.

Q, hang in there.
TROJANMAN
2 words

DONOR CAR biggrin.gif

seriously, that sucks sad.gif
Series9
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 6 2006, 03:06 PM) *

I'd certainly want to be "made whole", and (to me, at least) in this case that means a NEW car, just like the one you have (or "had"), delivered to your door, NOW. The loss of value is essentially incalculable, IMO, and they should be made to bear the full cost.
You should be able to participate in the event in YOUR Lotus. They have the money to make it happen, and it IS possible. In exchange for your dollars, you had reasonable expectations of having your car returned to you in the condition in which you turned it over to them. The Cap'n

agree.gif
jhadler
QUOTE(Tobra @ Nov 6 2006, 01:55 PM) *

It is mid-engined for cryin' out loud, how do they dump it on its ass?

It's a transverse motor and transaxle assembly, so there's a lot of weight right over the axles... It may technically be mid engine, but the weight distribution is more like an MR2than a 914... Numbers wise, it's closer to that of a 911... (40/60 IIRC...). And the mass is centered just above and _slightly_ forward of the axles. Which was left hanging off the end of the lift... <sigh>

-Josh2
Brett W
they must have been putting the big mudders on the car. Notice the truck tires.

It better be made whole. I would make them give me a new car.
Tobra
Okay, 60/40 rear bias, still would have to have your stupid working overtime to pull something that boneheaded
jhadler
QUOTE(Tobra @ Nov 6 2006, 02:51 PM) *

Okay, 60/40 rear bias, still would have to have your stupid working overtime to pull something that boneheaded

Happens all the time I guess... Common sense is anything but common...

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Screw it don't worry about it. Tell them to keep the tires and install them on the NEW lotus they just bought for you.

There is no way in hell you can fix that car.
LvSteveH
I'm sorry for your loss pinch.gif
jhadler
I think Joe said it best. Tell 'em to just install those new tires on the _new_ lotus...

After reading up on the car, I highly doubt that it's repairable. It looks seemingly minor, and if it were a steel frame chassis, _maybe_ it could be fixed like new. But the bonded monocoque of the Elise is a single piece, and cannot simply be pulled or welded. It's done. Congratulations!!! You just won a NEW CAR!!! Come on down!!!!

Yeah, I know it sucks, but it would seem to me that there's no way they can get away with not replacing that car...

-Josh2
TJB/914
Qarl,

I feel so bad for you. It's double bad, because your father-in-law is connected to the Goodyear store. I really feel bad for him since you are family connected.

What a mess!!! I hope things work out.

Tom
914rrr
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 6 2006, 04:03 PM) *

I think Joe said it best. Tell 'em to just install those new tires on the _new_ lotus...

After reading up on the car, I highly doubt that it's repairable. It looks seemingly minor, and if it were a steel frame chassis, _maybe_ it could be fixed like new. But the bonded monocoque of the Elise is a single piece, and cannot simply be pulled or welded. It's done. Congratulations!!! You just won a NEW CAR!!! Come on down!!!!

Yeah, I know it sucks, but it would seem to me that there's no way they can get away with not replacing that car...

-Josh2

agree.gif Even if they were willing to install a new monocoque, and even if the repair job was absolutely flawless, the accident/repair would be permanently noted on your title, thereby making the 'fixed' Lotus essentially worthless.

Some 'props' to the numb nuts who dumped it... flipa.gif finger.gif chair.gif ar15.gif spank.gif slap.gif alfred.gif
Jeroen
damn... what a bunch of dumbasses!

make sure you have the car checked by an Elise expert
I'd guess that the average bodyshop is not capable of this because of the unique construction of the Elise (bonded aluminium chassis)

tear them a f-ing new one!
watsonrx13
Damn Karl, I'm speechless.... ohmy.gif

Take'm to the bank and have'm buy you a NEW car....

And can we ASSUME the dumb SH!T is no longer working at this shop?????

-- Rob
crash914
1st of all, they should get you a new one.

I used to work for goodyear and my brother in law used to be the district SM in the DC area.

we (well not me) did an undercoat job on a new car, parked it out back, left the motor running, why I don't know, undercoat cought on fire and we just bought another car. many other times we had problems that resulted in damage. All was covered by insurance. In my experiance, the customer was well taken care of. I hope you are too. If you need some names of who to call, PM me....My in law still has lots of connections...
IronHillRestorations
Geez, what a load!

I've had my 2 post asymetrical lift for almost ten years, picked up tons of 914's, a few 911's, my Windstar, my F150 SuperCrew, a couple mowers, an old Camaro, and I STILL lift everything about 6-8" and lean on the front and back HARD, to make sure this doesn't happen.

Serious condolences Karl! With family involved I hope it doesn't turn ugly.
shaggy
trade up for the Exige!!!! biggrin.gif

wonder how much longer the guy who dumped it will work there idea.gif

the weight distribution is actually 62/38 rear bias

seriously though...

LOTUS EXIGE CUP!!!!
Click to view attachment

hope it all works out
-jim
drew365
Sorry Qarl. Out of curiousity, where are they supposed to place the lift pads and how far off were they. Did it teeter as soon as they removed the front tire?
URY914
Damn Q! So Sorry this happened.

If you go to Clearwater stop by here, the beer is always cold for you. beerchug.gif
rjkavanagh
Yep Qarl, they need to replace it, not repair it. Good luck.
SGB
Well.

You will have the winning "aw shit" story for the lotus drive.

This will turn out for the better in the end. That exige idea is tasty....
Qarl
I've actually maintained a good attitude about it all day... at least I am safe and my family is safe... the mechanic almost got knocked out... luckily he is safe...

I posted a caption contest in the sandbox...
Andyrew
Karl.. I can only assume that its not yours!
A: your plate reads
IPB Image

VS

IPB Image

B: if you did get a license plate change.. LEEEES means nothing.. and your name is not Lee..

C: We didnt see you in any picture.. but thats not a good reason.

Im probably wrong.. but I hope this is all just a big joke (like your last one about the car...)

sad.gif

Andrew
Qarl
No, I got a tag change earlier this year... here's a pic in my garage... (notice the checkerboard racedeck and yellow stripe)

Not much proof... but this is no April Fools joke...
redshift
QUOTE(Qarl @ Nov 6 2006, 03:25 PM) *

Dammit!!!! And I have the Central Florida Lotus Fun Run on Saturday which I've been organizing. Guess I'll have to drive the 911.

NooooooOOOO! I was just thinking of you for the last two days, while surfing Ebay for Eliseses! Oh NOES!

DooD!

m
Andyrew
thats good enough for me qarl..

Im really sorry to hear this..

it looks as if some of the chassis is tweeked.. You may need a new car... (tube chassis time!!!!)

Major bummed...

It'll work out right in the end.

Andrew
Scott-thundercat
L eeeees means ELISE... at least thats what i got... damn this sucks so bad... hopefully u get a pretty new one... i like the exige too...
Trekkor
Anybody else wondering why the need to lift a car that high for a tire change?

I saw this earlier when you first posted and I'm sorry you are dealing with this.

I *never* take my car to the tire place. I just bring the wheels.

I agree that a new car is the only way to satisfy this catostrophic damage.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.