Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saratoga top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zen motorcycle
I know I know

I got one with the car and it fits like crap above the winods. I knew this going in. Question is can I take a heat gun to it to mold it without causing it damage?

Also it squeeks like mad anybody have asuggestion for a rear seal?
dmenche914
i believe they are pexiglas, thus heat will allow you to work it, however too much heat can cause it to bubble, and / or ruin the surface finsh, so proceed with caution. if you can fix it with new seals, that would be best. Squeeky seals can be helped with a silicone lubricant. for seals, either modify a 914 stock seal, or look into a kit car supplier, or marine (boat) supply house for seals. maybe evan a vintage car seal company. The company names escape my mind right now, but try a internet search. some seal companies offer x-section views in their catalogs, hence you might be able to find something.

if you do find workable seals, please PM me, as i too have a Saratoga top, not on car now, too many other things going on, so I have not researched it yet.

i am sure something can be found.

please let me know if you find good seal material

thanks
edrotol
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 6 2006, 05:02 PM) *

i believe they are pexiglas, thus heat will allow you to work it, however too much heat can cause it to bubble, and / or ruin the surface finsh, so proceed with caution. if you can fix it with new seals, that would be best. Squeeky seals can be helped with a silicone lubricant. for seals, either modify a 914 stock seal, or look into a kit car supplier, or marine (boat) supply house for seals. maybe evan a vintage car seal company. The company names escape my mind right now, but try a internet search. some seal companies offer x-section views in their catalogs, hence you might be able to find something.

if you do find workable seals, please PM me, as i too have a Saratoga top, not on car now, too many other things going on, so I have not researched it yet.

thanks

I second this request. I too have a s top and have been looking for the best seals. Anyone who reads this we, meaning s owners, I am sure, all would like some info or help and thanks beforehand.
Mike D.
I have one too. Mine used to seal out rain water better than the stock top. Not any more, the side seals have lost pieces. I put black foam rubber strips across the rear seal because it was so flat and that stopped the noise. I also need to rebuild the rear latch blocks as they have been stripped out and glued a couple of times. It's one of those jobs I've always been meaning to get to but never have. I really only use a few times a year so fixing it has alway been on the back burner...
zen motorcycle
I think my side seals have gone as there are remnants of foam rubber attacched to what looks like the original seal. Anyone have apicture or link to an original S top with seals?
GWN7
I have one (cracked) with all the hardware.....trial fitting it to the car I found the the materials they used (30 yrs ago) have dryed out and shrunk. If your seals have fallen apart then the dreaded ozone has got to it also.

I can make new ones for them but I'm not sure people will pay what it will cost to make them and if there is enough demand........
drew365
I sold the Saratoga top that came with my car several years ago. Just out of curiousity, how much does one weigh compared to a stock top?
zen motorcycle
Not sure how much lighter it is, as it has metal reinforcment pieces and I don't have a scale I can throw it on. It is lighter though
JeffBowlsby
These are the best shots I have of the seals from my former S-top. The side seal is actually 2 seal profiles stacked and glued together. I believe these were original seals. There is also a rectangular seal at the front and rear that are not shown. Check JC Whitney...
Mike D.
I'll get a pic of mine tonight, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't look like that. wonder if it was supposed to...

In fact mine is different across the front, and rear latch part is different too. confused24.gif
dmenche914
Beats me why Saratoga Top didn't desingnthis thing with provissions for the factroy seals, that would have made life much better for us.
JeffBowlsby
Mike, I think I recall seeing your S-top at the WCC2005 and it was different than mine. I have seen 2-3 different models...all with different details...wink.gif

I would do whatever it takes to get it to work right...and not worry about originality so much. I agree about the comment to just use stock seals. They should have designed them so the stock hardware and everything just ported over.
GWN7
The proper way for the seals to work is they should match the curve line of the targa top and as there is no resting point (where the glass meets the roof) as in conventional cars, the seal should extend down on both sides of the window glass. This would make it water & wind proof.

From the pictures Jeff posted, it looks like the factory used various foam styles to make up the seals.
zen motorcycle
Thanks, I am definitley missing some seals so I won't break out the heat gun yet. I couldn't tell from the picture did it have any seals running across the back portion where the top goes across the targa bar? both on the sides and in the back. It looked like something was there, but hard to tell.

Thanks again

**Edit** do you have any Hi res shots you can send me?
JeffBowlsby
Those are the best shots I have. There is a rear seal, it is the same profile as the front seal, which is in the photo.
kropkom
I also have a saratoga top that needs seals. If anyone solves this problem for all of us, include me.

QUOTE(edrotol @ Nov 6 2006, 09:39 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=810748:date=Nov 6 2006, 05:02 PM:name=dmenche914) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 6 2006, 05:02 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->

thanks
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

I second this request. I too have a s top and have been looking for the best seals. Anyone who reads this we, meaning s owners, I am sure, all would like some info or help and thanks beforehand.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.