Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear stack coming out!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
I gotta lot going on with the car. When it returned from my son's homecoming, it was backfiring back through the carbs (mildly, and different barrels, about 1 or 2 minutes between "poops"), so I'm doing some compression evaluations. Also got the carbs off to rebuild, since I originally thought I had a blocked passsage. Gonna mess with the jetting a little too I think. And this is a good time to replace my fuel lines, which I thought had already been done, and maybe even weld up some suspension cancer I know is in there. But the instigator of this is really DR. EVIL (cue scary music). Over the next few days I believe the gear stack is gonna come on down. Get ready Doc, 'cause it'll be scary. She's been hacking along for several years now, and it has gotten even worse. Here are pics as we prep for surgury...
SGB
aaa
SGB
bbb
SGB
carbs...
SGB
Stay tuned for further developments...
SGB
smash.gif

Well there have been several delays and sidetracks, but I'm back on the gear stack removal job (at least intermittantly). I really wanna get this thing of to the Doc fer a rebuild soon-
No later than 1 December is my goal. So tonight I just did a little more clean up, disconnected the shift lever, drained the fluid, and dropped the shift console. I guess the rear cover comes off soon...
maf914
That Bursch exhaust looks pretty clean. Is that paint, jet-hot coating, ceramic coating or...? Has the finish been on for long?
SGB
QUOTE(maf914 @ Nov 21 2006, 07:41 AM) *

That Bursch exhaust looks pretty clean. Is that paint, jet-hot coating, ceramic coating or...? Has the finish been on for long?

It's just high temp paint-
that coat is pretty fresh (2 or 3 months since a touch up sparay)
I painted it before I ever put it on and most of it stays pretty adhered. I've sprayed it three times in about 5 or 6 years.
Dr Evil
Man, you have a very clean car there. I'll be waiting for the stack. Too bad the price of the 1st sliders from my source just shot up to market value ($500) sad.gif
SGB
Separation complete.
But thereis still a buncha stuff on the front of the trans that were supposed to come off to get the intermediate plate off. Iwould prefer to leave all that front end stuff attached- like the speedo gear and all behind it are still in place_
Doc-
Can you (do you) ever flip gears to change ratios? I think if I could swap an ha 2nd gear with 5th gear for a slight increase in top(cruising) it would be great. What about this? Can you so this?
TravisNeff
2nd gear is fixed on the mainshaft, the only way to do that is go with a 904 mainshaft and buy replacement 2nd gear - bring money.
SGB
oh well, I remembered sumthing about that and did some (too breif) research over at pelican and decided to ask. No viable way to get a slightly taller 5th that you know of?
Dr Evil
Scott, there is a taller 5th you can use, BUT if you are running an air cooled engine you do not want to use such. The gearing is as it is so that the engine can maintain enough RPMs to cool it while cruzing at freeway speeds. If you put a taller gear in you cause the engine to run warmer and to stress more. Not a good thing.

But, yes I do swap gears biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 23 2006, 12:46 AM) *

Separation complete.
But thereis still a buncha stuff on the front of the trans that were supposed to come off to get the intermediate plate off. Iwould prefer to leave all that front end stuff attached- like the speedo gear and all behind it are still in place_
Doc-
Can you (do you) ever flip gears to change ratios? I think if I could swap an ha 2nd gear with 5th gear for a slight increase in top(cruising) it would be great. What about this? Can you so this?

I am not following you on this description. You should not have to remove anything from the "front" to get the stack off. The intermediate plate comes with the gear stack (see pic). The speedo drive does stay on. All you need to do with what you ahve is to remove the rear cover, remove the 1st reverse gear and associated bearings all of which just come off. The rest you send to me.

Clear? Maybe some pics from you would help me better understand.
SGB
I gotcha doc- for some reason I thought the speedo drive had to come off. The tail cover tapped right off, and opening it on the bench meant the reverse gear didn't fall out, just the washer and little flat needle bearing. I'll be boxing the rest up to take to fed ex Saturday.

About taller 5th- I'm not talking much taller at all, and I keep the engine in the revs believe me. I wouldn't mind going a bit longer in fourth if 5th dropped me too low. My cooling system is very effective, and the tourque is good with the carb/ cam setup on the car. what I am seeking is a higher top end, so I can cruise at 90, which is about the real interstate speed- certainly not the 'ol 55 or even 65 (oh my God, you will crash!) of the 70s.

So what about a second to 5th swap.? That "ha" 2nd is only slightly taller when flipped than the 1.30 or whatever it was that the stock 5th gives. BUT, if it requires a new shaft, well...
Dr Evil
Well, as previously stated by Travis, you can not swap 2nd unless you locate a 904 shaft. To place the gears in the 5th spot you need to find the gears. I do not know where you would find these gears.

In stock form (ZD 5th) you should be cruzing at 89mph at 4000 rpm. You should not go lower than 3500 rpm, IMHO, BUT its your tranny. biggrin.gif
SGB
Yeah, but 50 series tires knocks some off that, however, It is appearing unlikely that I'll be able to bring this to fruition, eh? Yo-kay.
Dr Evil
Repeat after me, " Ohm, With enough $$$ all is possible, ohm..." wink.gif
SGB
Ever heard of these folks?

http://www.albinsgear.com.au/porsche.html
Dr Evil
No I have not, but it looks like it may be promissing idea.gif Thanks for the link.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.