Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Complete Newby: Advice on Purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gusto
I looked at a '72 1.7 the other day.

The body looks to be in very good shape, the only rust is a small spot on the drivers floor pan (under the pedal box) and the battery tray (but underneath is clean).

I don't have any auto repair/maintenance experience (except changing light bulbs and some little things here and there). However, I want to learn.

The problems I noticed on the car:
1) Very sloppy shifting. First time driving a 914 and it was really difficult getting into the correct gear...kept going to 4th instead of 2nd, etc.
2) Trouble getting into first gear. You practically had to jam the gearshift into your thigh to get it to stick.
3) Idle was pretty low, but the car didn't stall while idling.
4) While driving, the car would stall at a light as I tried to get into 1st.

The car seems like a pretty good deal from my perusing the classifieds here and on ebay.

That being said...do you think someone with my inexperience should purchase a car with these types of problems? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
G e o r g e
welcome.png

i would request one of the non-club members to go with you to look at it they might see something your over looking beerchug.gif
Howard
Pictures would help, but you really should try to get a club member to go with you to look at the car. Post a convenient time and place over the weekend and see what happens.
ahdoman
QUOTE(Gusto @ Nov 10 2006, 02:53 PM) *

I looked at a '72 1.7 the other day.

The body looks to be in very good shape, the only rust is a small spot on the drivers floor pan (under the pedal box) and the battery tray (but underneath is clean).

I don't have any auto repair/maintenance experience (except changing light bulbs and some little things here and there). However, I want to learn.

The problems I noticed on the car:
1) Very sloppy shifting. First time driving a 914 and it was really difficult getting into the correct gear...kept going to 4th instead of 2nd, etc.
2) Trouble getting into first gear. You practically had to jam the gearshift into your thigh to get it to stick.
3) Idle was pretty low, but the car didn't stall while idling.
4) While driving, the car would stall at a light as I tried to get into 1st.

The car seems like a pretty good deal from my perusing the classifieds here and on ebay.

That being said...do you think someone with my inexperience should purchase a car with these types of problems? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gusto,
I live in Santa Clarita. PM me if you want a second set of eyes to look before you buy.
GWN7
Hello and welcome.....

The shifting problems you have mentioned are normal for a 914and can normally be solved with new shifter bushings (their is a aftermarket shifter available that gets rave reviews also) except for problem #4 sounds like opperator error. With old cars you have to learn their quirks. I'd be more concerned about rust on the car than these minor problems.

Do you feel you could learn about this car? Do you have space for it? Or a place to work on it? Tools? Will your family object if you spend hours in a cold garage?

If you answered yes to at least 3 of those questions, then you too could be a 914 owner smile.gif
VaccaRabite
You are on the left coast, there are lots of fish in that sea. You don't need to jump on this one, unless it is next to free.

Do you know the rust trouble spots to check? Around the jack ports (look behind the rocker panels) and under the battery tray.

Personally, I got into these cars with a smattering of car restoration work. I have learned to weld, I am learning tramsmissions, I am learning air cooled engines, I am about to learn a hell of a lot about wiring. And you will too.

Don't be afraid, BUY THE BEST CAR YOU CAN AFFORD, realise that its still a 30+ year old car and you will - at some point or another - probably have the thing to peices.

WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

Zach
So.Cal.914
1 & 2 Sounds like typical 914 shifting. The early teeners (tail shift) had more slop

than the post 72's (73-76) did but a short shift kit helps.

3 & 4 The idle can be turned up and a tune up may also help.

Well it is a 34 year old car so you will get the opportunity to learn.

Last but not least welcome.png
Gary#
1st of all - welcome.png
---
And then... YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! Buy the car.
U might want to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection)
914Club members help club members. Post a PPI request right here
and there may be someone local to you on this board that can help
you.
---
Sloppy shifting is common to ALL 30 + year old 914's. Replace the shift bushings
and the shift linkage coned set screws. U will notice a HUGE difference.
First time I drove a friends 914 I ground gears a heck of a lot more than I found 'em.
Strange shift pattern. But unique - like the rest of the car!!!
Don't worry that your not a mechanic. Neither was anybody else before
they "became" a mechanic. And you've got this 914Club ready to help U along.
driving.gif Gud Luck!!!
Gusto
Thanks for all the encouragement. I've read through several how-to articles on improving the shifting...some of it scared me off...sounds really complicated (but then again, one of my goals is to learn).

Hopefully with the club members' help...I'll be joining the owners!!
mcbain77
QUOTE(Gusto @ Nov 10 2006, 03:53 PM) *

Thanks for all the encouragement. I've read through several how-to articles on improving the shifting...some of it scared me off...sounds really complicated (but then again, one of my goals is to learn).

Hopefully with the club members' help...I'll be joining the owners!!

welcome.png

In the past year I have learned so much about this car and I still learn something new everyday! I would also suggest investing in some metric tools and getting a Haynes repair manual to get you along. It makes great bathroom reading!
LowGT
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 10 2006, 05:06 PM) *

Do you feel you could learn about this car? Do you have space for it? Or a place to work on it? Tools? Will your family object if you spend hours in a cold garage?

If you answered yes to at least 3 of those questions, then you too could be a 914 owner smile.gif

Don't forget, "Are you attached to the money in your savings account?" welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.