Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fabulous day at the track today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Only in SoCal can you drive to the the track in steady rain the whole way, but then there is NO rain all day at the track and conditions are damn near perfect for some very quick and comfortable driving... in mid-November

Temps stayed in the low/mid 50's (I think) but it was pretty chilly due to the desert winds that blew almost constantly. But the cool temps mean the cars are making some good POWER and the asphalt at the recently-repaved track has finally cured and been fixed up really nicely. With the mostly overcast skies diffusing the SoCal sun, even the lighting & visibility were fantastic -- this was the first time I have ever been to Willow without needing sunglasses and a hat all day.

There were no less than -12- POC class records set today -- unheard of! I personally didn't win anything (like usual) but I shaved 1.4 seconds off my previous best ever time at this track, which is pretty sweet. I am now within ~1 second of the guys I am usually chasing in my class.

Besides a good 914 turnout (at least 6 sixes and 4-5 fours) there were some really interesting other cars -- I really liked the SCCA/VARA 240Z and should've taken pics. This car was incredibly clean and raced prepped to the hilt (triple dual-choke solexes, camber boxes on all four corners, lots of trick stuff.) A RHD Lotus Elise was there too, a new GT3, and a 160HP VW Bug that actually was quite quick until it broke, LOL.

My car is really, really getting to the "enjoyable" point. I am finding all of the weak spots and areas that need further tuning, but it is a blast to drive. I hope to do at least 3 more events this year...then after the 2-3 week winter break, next season will commence in mid January cool.gif
redshift
Nice man! smilie_pokal.gif

To have shaved 1.4 seconds, and be around a second out from the head of the class sounds like a very nice jump! Keep that up!

M
ChrisReale
Chris, I need pics, man. I'd love to see an update on your site (hint, hint) when you have time clap56.gif
rick 918-S
I enjoyed reading about your day. Great fun, great time. smilie_pokal.gif I spent 4 hrs. chopping last weeks snow off my driveway. mad.gif Salting, chopping, pushing the thick crust off with the plow on my riding tractor. driving.gif No 914's showed up to help. huh.gif Temp was about 40 deg. with a stiff wind blowing from the northwest. My shoulders are killing me. I didn't set any records. Winter sucks. givemebeer.gif
drew365
Rich; I was with Chris at Willow Springs and agree it was probably the best weekend at the track since I bought the 914. But I'm apprciating it more after reading your post this morning. You reminded me of winters in New York and Cleveland. I'll take the cool 50 degree track day thank you. smile.gif
aufaber
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Nov 9 2003, 08:45 PM)
My car is really, really getting to the "enjoyable" point.  I am finding all of the weak spots and areas that need further tuning, but it is a blast to drive.   I hope to do at least 3 more events this year...then after the 2-3 week winter break, next season will commence in mid January  B)

Chris, did you see the new horse thief mile while your were out there? I think I'll be signing up for some more track days soon on the Motorcycl, though my car is getting much closer to being trackable now.. How much smoother is streets?

-Aaron G>
campbellcj
Aaron, actually they opened up the Horse Thief track for a few minutes of lunch-laps but I was too busy dicking around with my car to go over there. The guys said it was "really hairy". It looks incredibly steep and tight even compared to the other tracks at Willow, which are not exactly flat.

THe pavement at the Streets is not that much better than "before" they repaved it. But compared to the last event I did there, where the new asphalt completely fell apart because it was either mixed/laid wrong or just not cured yet, it was fantastic. The times were like 2-4 seconds apart between the last miserable event, and this past weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.