Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How far would you drive your car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
JPB
QUOTE(gfulcher @ Nov 19 2006, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 13 2006, 12:03 PM) *

Y'all are a bunch of wussies....

Joe Yoder (with Steve Milo as co-pilot) is the KING of long distance 914 driving. Dallas to San Deigo. San Deigo to Seattle. Seattle to Chicago. Chicago to Dallas.

smiley_notworthy.gif

Hmmm... I think any long distance trip in a 914 is well within the "luxo" category. I did an epic perimeter trip of the USA, nearly entirely on back roads, in my VW '73 Thing, solo... without a top or a map. 17,000 or so miles in total from Cape Cod to Seattle to San Diego to Fort Lauderdale and back to Cape Cod.

Would do it again in a heartbeat. Doing it in a 914 would be super comfy and zippy by comparison - but I would have missed all of those dirt roads across the dakotas and montana and the rockies....

-greg-

Sounded like an awsome time smilie_pokal.gif
MikeSpraggi
Coast to coast in the sixer. I think everything has been repaired and no more scheduled track time for that car. The track car on the other hand, from the garage to the end of the driveway with the current four cylinder and no brakes, and no seats and no lights and no ..........
Eddie914
The 914/6 is good for Coast to Coast even though is it a street driven track car. There is not much left on the car to go wrong.

I voted "dependable cause I'm nuts" ... cause I MUST be nuts. It's amazing my family hasn't disowned me yet.

I have proven over the years that with enough tools, money and time, that no trip is too long.

It has gotten so bad that when one of our vehicles starts making bad sounds, my son automatically reaches for the fire extinquisher and my wife shouts out ... "it's time for another adventure".

Since our family's daily drivers (4 of them) average 17 years old with 265,000 miles ... something is goning to wear out every once in a while.

The last two weeks hasn't been too bad ... the son's Audi burst into flames while parked and the wife's Suburban lost the fuel pump AND the radiator on a trip from Seattle to Los Angeles. Just another "Adventure"!

Cheers,

Eddie
Drums66
These cars are just not comfortable enough for me
to drive over 200 miles in!!......maybe it's the seats confused24.gif

.....now Boxster or 911 different story wub.gif
grantsfo
I bought my 1.8 sight unseen in Augusta GA. Drove it all the way back to Santa Monica. Only issue I had was vapor lock one time. Car was all original. Got 36 MPG on trip home.

I left with a trunk of spare parts that I never used.
jcambo7
My current car is not drivable but the car I am buying soon will be drivable but I don't know for how far. Can't wait to get home so I can drive it too. Only 2 in a half months left on my deployment. driving.gif
tat2dphreak
the biggest problem with my car now is the squishie part behind the wheel, ME.

I think the engine and brakes and suspension are solid enough to make it anywhere with care.
ericread
Due to an illness of a relative, I have made three round trips between Southern California and Las Vegas in the past month. That's 303 miles each way door-to-door. It also includes two 4,500 ft mountain passes and some desolate hiway. But my little teener hasn't had any problems in getting me where I need to go.

However, as a SoCal driver, I removed my HE's (since they were falling apart and full of goo from old oil leaks). This made some of the driving in the low 30's (including more than one snow flurry) a little cooler than I'm used to. I ended up with so many layers of clothes that I felt like Ralph's little brother in "A Christmas Story" where he couldn't move his arms... lol3.gif

Eric
bembry
Man,
I don't know. I tried an ill-fated 500 mile trip from Bakersfield to Phoenix in 1998 after I had bought my 914 and owned it for a couple years but had only driven it a very few miles, and it still had d-jet on it. The trip really sucked. I made it through the Tehachapis doing OK, but then my car started to go to crap pretty bad. I arrived in Phoenix over the course of 12+ hours, my 914 was running hot as hell when it was running at all, and eventually wouldn't go over 45 MPH. Not fun in the middle of the desert after midnight with a dying car.
pcar916
San Francisco to Little Rock and back twice. ~3900 mi.

Little Rock to...

- Columbia, SC ~1400 mi
- Tampa, Fla ~1900 mi
- Lexington, Ohio ~1500 mi

and back.

More miles on twisty Arkansas roads though than I can count... daily driver. Gotta get to the northeast some time. Maybe Summit Point! Ear plugs required.

Cheers
BigD9146gt
Does putting it on a boat and shipping it across the Pacific count for milage? Cause thats kind of a risk too!?
Tonyiz
Drove 914/4 from San Diego to Chicago. On long stretches got the speedo to read 130mph several times. Accuracy of speedo unknown. No problems.
Brando
Could easily go coast-to-coast. What a blast that would be biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.