Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making a Sport muffler for a /4 Header
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 29 2006, 03:48 PM) *

we had his miller on the lowest setting and kept having hole issues

That's weird. I read that in a post earlier as well... thin? My 911 muffler was something like 4-6 ply stainless. We just buzzed away at it with the MIG. No issues. confused24.gif

this is a later bischoff SC muffler...
it WAS 2 layers of mild steel... but when you gut it... the inner layer goes the way of the dinosaurs....

so just 1 layer on the top of the can.....

BTW - cute little thing of POR 20 came today. Thanks eric.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 29 2006, 03:48 PM) *

your neighbors are gonna hate you! laugh.gif Jumpy.gif w00t2.gif w00t1.gif

I hope so!

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES smile.gif

keep the little kids from running out in the street without looking smile.gif

BTW - this gutted muffler is LIGHT!!! guessing no more than 15 lbs!
tracks914
I did something similar 2 winter ago for my 1.7. I took a spare muffler. cut it in half, drilled out the baffles and separators to give it a throatier sound, then welded a SS shroud and oval tip onto it.
tracks914
Drilled...
tracks914
Stainless Steel...
tracks914
Side view..
tracks914
and installed when I can find the picture...
alpha434
Dude. Cool.
Crazyhippy
Have caps for the center pipes? And after all that work, why didn't you clean up the original tip too??

All this exhaust talk makes me want to re-do mine, think 3" is enough??
Aaron Cox
i havent made the caps yet...

i have a brand new tip for the stock outlet smile.gif

the thing is gonna get sanded/painted/por20'd after craigs friend gets done welding it smile.gif

Lou W
Looking good. welder.gif thumb3d.gif
Eric_Shea
cute little thing of POR 20 came today.

That should be enough to spray headers and a muffler. Use Lacquer thinner to thin. I did a complete set of -6 headers and my sport muffler with that. Now you have to find someone to squirt it for you.
craig downs

That should be enough to spray headers and a muffler. Use Lacquer thinner to thin. I did a complete set of -6 headers and my sport muffler with that. Now you have to find someone to squirt it for you.

Hey Aaron I'll volunteer to do that for ya
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(craig downs @ Dec 30 2006, 05:53 PM) *

Hey Aaron I'll volunteer to do that for ya

no good deed goes unpunished craig LOL

eric - you sprayed it? i was thinking of just brushing it. it says it 'self levels' and the brushmarks 'cook out'.

i got the laquer thinner - and apparently craig is mah shooter smile.gif
Aaron Cox
quick update -

craig brazed the whole can up.... and we hit it with some metal etch/prep stuff..... threw it on the car for a mockup... mount holes need to be slotted a little more to center it perfect... but its lookin good....

soon it will be painted with POR 20 "manifold grey" paint....

now to start working on the caps for the sport pipes...

Crazyhippy
But how does it sound??

Looks good.

BJH
Aaron Cox
in my last pic.. you can see the open collector...
a connection pipe has to be bent up or fabbed (still have a mandrel bend...) to connect the muffler to the collector...

it is basically an S shaped pipe.... needs to gain 2" of elevation and a bend to the right about an inch....
swood
That looks great! Guud job.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 7 2007, 05:08 PM) *

in my last pic.. you can see the open collector...
a connection pipe has to be bent up or fabbed (still have a mandrel bend...) to connect the muffler to the collector...

it is basically an S shaped pipe.... needs to gain 2" of elevation and a bend to the right about an inch....

So it's a bit loud still.... chairfall.gif

BJH
KaptKaos
Nifty!

Nicely done.
Eric_Shea
It's 2007 yawn.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 7 2007, 08:36 PM) *

It's 2007 yawn.gif

school is back in... and getting in the way...

i got a Gas cap project, and a GT lid to paint too....

help me...

cnavarro
Excellent thread. Now if someone made a muffler like that you could buy to replace the stock muffler...
Aaron Cox
and this is noticably lihghter than the stock eurorace street exhaust setup;
Aaron Cox
so i think friday i will have time to get that connection/transition piece made up....

so moving along... the sport pipe caps.

My goal is to use these from mcmaster carr....
IPB Image

Fits Pipe Inside
OD Size Ht. ga. (Thick.)
2 3/8" 2" 1 1/32" 24 (0.0250")

with a 2 3/8 cap on a 2.25" OD pipe.. it gives it an 1/8" difference... or 1/16" all around...

my goal is to either drill 3 holes (every 120 deg) and tap them.. and use small allen socket set screws...
i have a feeling that the 24 gauge metal wont support that so i will have to weld on nuts over the holes... to give the set screws something to screw into... fill the inside edge of the cap with Orange hi-temp rtv to make a gasket.....

thoughts?
Crazyhippy
cross pin like a trailer hitch ball? (smaller of course)

The problem w/ set screws is they might not be enough, and losing one in Barstow on the drive to RRC would suck.

BJH
Aaron Cox
not gonna drill holes to pin them in LOL.....

and i really dont want to put anything for them to clasp onto either....

how are these held on? looks like a bolt sad.gif
Crazyhippy
Looks like bolts....

Damn i'm good biggrin.gif

Have to worry about vibration too, every exhaust pulse will cause the plugs to pulse...
Chris Pincetich
This is an awesome project! smilie_pokal.gif

Maybe the caps could be threaded on? That would look super clean...lots of anti-seize and maybe some small grooves or holes for a "tool" to unscrew them... I dunno. Those bolts don't look very cool to me. Good luck beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
the pipe is only like 16 gauge... and threaded would look kinda fire-hydrant ish to me.....

i agree on the bolts... they dont look all that cool.....

any more ideas?
jd74914
Instead of drilling thru the pipe walls use a dull bit and bump in indents the size of set screw tips, then weld the nuts on the outside of the caps like you plan on. That way there is a little something for the set screws to "bite into" without putting then through the pipes.

I hope that made sense.
Crazyhippy
tool box latches?? a hook on the pipe, and the latch mechanism on the cap??

Velcro?
Duct Tape?

BJH
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:19 PM) *

Instead of drilling thru the pipe walls use a dull bit and bump in indents the size of set screw tips, then weld the nuts on the outside of the caps like you plan on. That way there is a little something for the set screws to "bite into" without putting then through the pipes.

I hope that made sense.

thought about that too...

the material isnt all that thick.......

what about something that expands from the inside??? stick it IN the tube and tighten....
Twystd1
AA...

Did ya ever wonder how those cheap computer desks at IKEA have telescoping legs?????

That is your answer. Totally hidden. Unsrews. Get's tighter with heat.

And we can make em..... With a little help from SpunOne... (Paul)

Think about it....

Thats your brain teaser for tonight.

C
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Jan 8 2007, 10:05 PM) *

AA...

Did ya ever wonder how those cheap computer desks at IKEA have telescoping legs?????

That is your answer. Totally hidden. Unsrews. Get's tighter with heat.

And we can make em..... With a little help from SpunOne... (Paul)

Think about it....

Thats your brain teaser for tonight.

C

head hurts.... 5 subject brain gang bang already today...

care to make it less painful?
jd74914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Jan 9 2007, 12:30 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Jan 8 2007, 08:19 PM) *

I hope that made sense.

thought about that too...

the material isnt all that thick.......

what about something that expands from the inside??? stick it IN the tube and tighten....

you could do that too, i've seen something like that, where did i see it? hmm
Aaron Cox
ok... so i went night boarding last night.... at mt high... froze my nuts off...

woke up early this AM.... pulled the muffler... finished the mount... centered it... all is well...

hooked up the DLEE tow setup... and drove down to meet up with clayton (twystd1) and jimmy... we then rocked out to jimmy's favorite exhaust fab place....

30 bucks later... and its all hooked up with a nice flange and copper collector gasket.. the guy did some bitchin welding...

so we played around with what 1 pipe vs 2 pipes vs 3 pipes sounds like....

DUDE... all i can say is WOW. it rocks.

nice and throaty at idle... and down low... really throaty thru the RPM range... and sounds great. then when cruising (think freeway speeds) it is Q U I E T! i can have a conversation in the car again LOL!!!

i plan on pulling it off and painting it with POR 20 soon.
thanks to clayton, jimmy, and most of all craig downs.

ill upload some pics and maybe a video later.

AA
So.Cal.914
Aaron I don't know if you figured out a way to plug those sport pipes but I

have an idea for you. Go to your FLAPS and ask to see quick replace freeze plugs.

They come in many sizes, you just put them in the hole and tighten the nut in the

center of it. A rubber is squashed and presses outward and seals the hole. It

withstands HOT water under preasure. You could replace the rubber with hi-temp

silicone rubber (not silicone in the tube), I used the silicone rubber for exhaust

connections on my nitro benzene out rigger hydro's (Hot) , lasted very well and

no holes.
Aaron Cox
clayton and i devised a sinsister way to make sick caps... that remove with ease....

whenever we get around to making em that is LOL

paul - good suggestion! will make a great plan B
Twystd1
Yup,

AArons wacky exhaust sounds very nice...

But that ain't THE GOOD PART.........

The twin exhaust simply looks elegant and kinda tough at the same time.

I have see this setup before. And never ceases to amaze me how good they look.

I don't know how they perform from a dyno perspective. That is unknown.

But I wil tell you one thing... it improved a tuning stumble AA always had down low... In part transition.... (I mean his car... Not him)

Cause that problem is gone now.... Who woulda thunk the muffler woulda fixed this constant source of pissing me off.

Thats a win win in anybodys book....

CRAP.... Now I have to go make one for me......

Cudos to Craig Downs and AA for a job well done.

And Jimmy... Thanks for the hookup.

C
Eric_Shea
You mean he finally finished it?? ohmy.gif
Aaron Cox
just took it for a drive... and did some video... but my mic on the camera sucks balls....

pics before its painted....
So.Cal.914
Very well done Aaron, can you get a pic of how you hung it on the car?
thesey914
Thats looks really really good. Looks like you have a six in there smile.gif
seanery
I smell a CLASSIC!

congrats to you Aaron!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jan 14 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Very well done Aaron, can you get a pic of how you hung it on the car?

sure! when it comes off in the upcoming weeks to get painted w/ POR 20.. ill take a pic of the mount...

really simple smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.