Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick AAR question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gradskater
Search didnt come up with my answer.

My AAR is acting up (not opening and closing reliably). If I disconnect it, I believe idle speed should stay constant. Right? I would need to plug the hole leading into the intake im guessing.

Is there anything else that would change idle speed transiently like the AAR does?

thanks for any help
type47
i think the AAR bumps up the idle for an engine that is cold. the AAR should then, eventually ~couple of minutes, close when the AAR has been warmed by either it's internal heater coil or ambient engine heat. my guess is the other engine sensors tell the brain about how much fuel to inject. idle speed controlled by screw on throttle body, idle mixture adjusted by click knob on top of the brain. (assuming D-jet)
Bleyseng
The AAR justs opens additional air to the cold engine to increase the idle. Squirt some PB Blaster into it to lube the rotary valve so it will unstick.
It should be closed after 5-10 minutes totally.
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Gradskater @ Nov 11 2006, 08:55 PM) *

Is there anything else that would change idle speed transiently like the AAR does?

Yup, any and all vacuum hoses that are not secure or hole-less. Vacuum system must be tight.

Good luck finding leaks beer.gif

.....b
jim_hoyland
The big question is whether the AAR works. Take it out of a cool engine and look through the hole. If it looks about 1/3 to 1/4 open, then hook up a + and - wire from your battery to the AAR's terminals. The hole should get closed off within 5 minutes. If it does't close, try the PB blast.

I timed mine at 1min 55sec to close. If it passes this test, you could have a vacuum leak from a hose. I recently added a vacuum gauge to one of the lines going to the plenum. If idle get's errratic due to a vacuum leak, the gauge will drop in pressure.
Gradskater
thanks for the info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.