Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust in the gas tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
Didn't pull that gear stack yet, but while my car is up on 'stands and the carbs are out, I started to remove the fuel line from the carbs- disconnecting the SS braided line that I ran through a hole with a grommet to the firewall, where it attaches to the original line. I smelled gas and looked and the gas was collecting on the plastic line (drips- running to the lowest point) near the attachment. I drained the rest of the system, and finished pulling the tank. I've gota replace the fuel line too I think. Sure enough, the tank had a surprise inside....
Do I just get it boiled at a radiator place then try to pour por-15 or like that in there? Should I try that before boiling (I'm thinking it can't hurt)? I'm certainly up for lessons learned or bright or dim ideas...
Experiences?
Advise?
Harasment?
PinetreePorsche
Yeah--my newly-purchased '73 had the orange tone in the filter, too. I took out the tank (take the hood off, carefully, but the rest is easy) Take it to a good radiator shop (phone around) and they'll acid etch it and put in a rubberizing coating. Will last as long as the car unless you use lots of the wrong additive in the tank. Good oportunity to renew the rubber portion of the fuel supply and return lines--with good clamps, too. Be careful not to kink the lines putting back in--although the access hole at the bottom will let you adjuct the line a little. You'll pay the shop a bit over $125--and have to wait two days to a week or so. Mine ran better when cleaned! -Chris (PinetreePorsche)
Allan
Empty it and take it to a radiator shop and tell them to boil and pressure test it.

I did it to mine and it cost me all of $60.00 bucks....
SGB
Gas tank reseal is complete. Por 15 stuff worked great. I got quite a lot back when I poured it out, but I dunno if it will cure the same after it has been in a tank and back out.
So.Cal.914
Did you put Por-15 inside the tank? Or am I misinturpreting the picture.
Dr Evil
POR 15 tank treatment is good stuff. I did it to mine. Dont for get to retap the nipples for the fule lines.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 21 2006, 07:53 PM) *

POR 15 tank treatment is good stuff. I did it to mine. Dont for get to retap the nipples for the fule lines.

I did not see anything in his post about it being tank treatment. I read only

about Por-15, hey I have seen stranger things.
Dr Evil
I hope it is the tank stuff, not sure if regular will suffice.
SGB
Yeah, I wasn't clear. It is por-15 gas tank sealer. You pour it in and seal up the openings (duct tape) and slosh it al around- and around- and around- then pour it back out.
So.Cal.914
Cool..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.