Carbs are off.
Plugs are out.
Valve covers are off.
Compression results:
#1: 110 psi
#2: 130 psi
#3 121 psi
#4 125 psi
This was AFTER I did a really thorough valve job going around and around to each valve until I was sure they were all 1/2 to 2/3 turn past contact.
hmmmm.
I studied the orientation of the screw slots on #2. Exhaust about 3:00 oclock, Intake at about 1:30.
I reset # 3 screws to more closely duplicate this - required maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
Retested compression. Now it was 128 psi.
Long story short: I've readjusted the valves again to achieve the highest compression. Didn't increase or decrease any setting more than 1/2 turn one way or the other.
#1: still messing with it
#2: 130 psi
#3 128 psi
#4 130 psi

This seems like a really optimum setting.

-OR-

Iz this REALLY STUPID?

uh, could be.

Opinions?
Experiences?
Mild interest?

Speak to me.

(this post edited to correct porely remembered results- #1 especially)
Jake Raby
Scott,
Did you do the test with the throttle wide open?? It appears that you did with the rags shoved in the intakes...

The throttle position plays a key role with a compresion test..

Now...
Nothing tells the tale like a leak down test. Grab a leak down tester and do the tests with the poiston @ TDC and the engine warm..

Do some searches here for the entire procedure as I explained it to dnhunt a couple of times last year...

Leakdown tests are 50% more favorable than a compression test because they not only show an issue, but they also show exactly how bad it is and what the source is (valves, rings, head leaks and etc)
SGB
Jake-
thank for the ree-ply. The rags were out when I tested- just in for the pic. Will a "pressurize the cylinder and listen" LD test be sufficient? I don't even have a compressor, but can borry one and put the comp tester fitting on there. I'll do a search and try to learn a little more about the whole deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.