Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA's 9014 Kit cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PinetreePorsche
'Teeeners: I found a Automobile Atlanta-bodied 914, which George H. at AA dubbed the 9014, on eBay in Aug, and got it for $6 grand (in Brooklyn!). It has plenty of problems, but nothing too unusual for a 914, and the 904-ish body is a hoot. Not quite on the road yet, but soon. Mine is the silver one in the AA ads, w/black pinstriping. George says they sold about 2 dozen kits around the US, and gave me the phone/email of the only owner who has been in touch with him--a Florida guy who bought the kit in the mid-'90s and had a body shop put it on. SO: I'm wondering if anyone out there has seen any of the others. If you have seen one, please let me know--w/ color and any other identifying info. If you've talked w/the owner, pass onhis name, too! --Chris Hager, 3611 Pinetree Terr. Falls Church, VA, 22041 (but email via this site is fine, too) -"PinetreePorsche"
shadygrady
Glad you are enjoying it. smile.gif I was bidding on it too, but forgot when it ended. I really think they are cool looking. At the PCA DE at Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago, Chip Beck ran one with a 3.2L six. It was really fast when he passed me. I have a 3.6 that I was going to put in the car if I had won it. Larry Mortimer in Atlanta is also building one.
KaptKaos
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
904svo
QUOTE(shadygrady @ Nov 12 2006, 07:36 PM) *

Glad you are enjoying it. smile.gif I was bidding on it too, but forgot when it ended. I really think they are cool looking. At the PCA DE at Road Atlanta 2 weeks ago, Chip Beck ran one with a 3.2L six. It was really fast when he passed me. I have a 3.6 that I was going to put in the car if I had won it. Larry Mortimer in Atlanta is also building one.

I'm building the Chuck Beck's 904 that was sold by Avanti.

Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 12 2006, 09:10 PM) *

i hate you ... mad.gif in a good way ... biggrin.gif

the 904 is one of my all time favorite cars ...
wub.gif Andy

PinetreePorsche

You mean Beck ran a 9014 body, or some more pricy 904 copy? -Chris
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 12 2006, 09:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

So is the pic yu posted your almost-completed Beck, or teh Beck publicity photo? How close to running are you with the project? -Chris H
904svo
My 904 replica is driven ever day while I work on it!

Click to view attachment

turboman808
For a kit car that doesn't look to bad.
904svo
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 17 2006, 12:39 PM) *

For a kit car that doesn't look to bad.

There's a lot of hard work in it! The instruction I got from Avanti was "Do what ever it takes" No part list,no nothing from them. I also meet Chuck Beck and got
a good look at his car, the body may be his copy but the chassis and suspension is complete different than his and his car is a race car 1st where as mine is a street
car and is to be driven on the street, right now I'm installing a heater and A/C unit
which is not easy!

My car passed GA/DOT inspection to get a title and tag.

PS, thanks for the compliment
smj
I'm really glad to hear that the car went to somebody who's going to take proper care of it. I would have been sorely tempted if I hadn't been buying my -6 about that time... I think I have the eBay auction pics at home if you didn't grab them.

In fact, I think I posted a couple in a 904 lookalike thread here where I was promptly slammed for including the 9014 in the same category as the Beck/Avanti kits... tongue.gif

To be clear, I agree that the Beck kit is an amazing and very different beast. And 904svo, your's does look amazing. Can't wait to see how it develops. drooley.gif
904svo
For more info about Chuck Becks 904 read this article

http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...325/1123/Sports

type47
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Nov 12 2006, 06:31 PM) *

'Teeeners: I found a Automobile Atlanta-bodied 914, which George H. at AA dubbed the 9014, It has plenty of problems, but nothing too unusual for a 914, and the 904-ish body is a hoot. Not quite on the road yet, but soon.

any updates on the resto progress? or are you driving the 944 cab instead of working on it? biggrin.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(904svo @ Nov 13 2006, 01:10 AM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=815123:date=Nov 12 2006, 07:36 PM:name=shadygrady) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shadygrady @ Nov 12 2006, 07:36 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Click to view attachment

drooley.gif + chowtime.gif + boldblue.gif + I want one = Oh no, not another garage blink.gif !

cool_shades.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Here are some pics of our 904:

http://autoatlanta.com/carsales/904/904GTS/904gts.html
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and a pic of the 9014 the first variety:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jonferns
george, is the kit for sale still??/ I believe you said that it was being revised or something? -JON
por73914
The 904 is one of my favorites, I wish I could afford it! Even a clone.
dflesburg
no real suprise that the 914 people love the 904....

Seeing as the 904 line of race cars really were the father car of the 914 cars... Briefly interupted by some wierdness during the 924-944-928 thing... and then the Boxster.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 10 2007, 06:04 AM) *

george, is the kit for sale still??/ I believe you said that it was being revised or something? -JON

Good question! idea.gif maybe a "group buy"? w00t.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Some more:
http://autoatlanta.com/Life/904reveal.html
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and finally:

http://autoatlanta.com/9014.html
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jul 10 2007, 07:04 AM) *

Hi Jon. I just posted some pics of the lastest revision. Really need to find someone to complete it for us! Suddenly there are just too many restorations coming our way to take the time to finish! I am going to make one more post of the current state of the final design. It looks much more like a 904 now.
por73914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 10 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Are the kits still available? beer.gif
woobn8r
Didn't EXCELLENCE have an article on SUPERFORMANCE (of cobra replica fame) building a 904?

Seemed to me it was a wee bit longer wheelbase and a wee bit wider but looked spot on for a 904...

Last time I looked, there was still nothing on the Superformance web site, although the EXCELLENCE article said they had been working on the 904 for some years and even had purchased a real 904 to make moulds from....
904svo
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jul 10 2007, 11:18 AM) *

Didn't EXCELLENCE have an article on SUPERFORMANCE (of cobra replica fame) building a 904?

Seemed to me it was a wee bit longer wheelbase and a wee bit wider but looked spot on for a 904...

Last time I looked, there was still nothing on the Superformance web site, although the EXCELLENCE article said they had been working on the 904 for some years and even had purchased a real 904 to make moulds from....

Superformance was working with Chuck Beck to sell his car, I don't know if
there still doing it.
newto914s
I got to see a 904 in person last summer over at Mark Schlachter's shop in Cincy(Dean's Dream ltd). I helped raise and lower the bonnet over the real deal 4 cam. What a beautiful car, it was surprising to me how small it is.
jaminM3
Holy crap! w00t.gif

I think I just stromberg.gif my self.

That is the coolest kit car ever.

I was thinking of a factory five someday, but I think this would be better. idea.gif
woobn8r
I just e-mailed Superformance and asked them....I'll report if I hear anything....

S.
BigDBass
I wonder how many of us have now "decided" we "need" a 9014/904 project? biggrin.gif
904svo
QUOTE(newto914s @ Jul 10 2007, 11:52 AM) *

I got to see a 904 in person last summer over at Mark Schlachter's shop in Cincy(Dean's Dream ltd). I helped raise and lower the bonnet over the real deal 4 cam. What a beautiful car, it was surprising to me how small it is.

If you think the car is small, try to get in and out of it!!!! Chuck Beck added 2" to the door it's still hard to get in and out off. If your are over 6ft forget it.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Jul 10 2007, 02:48 PM) *

I just e-mailed Superformance and asked them....I'll report if I hear anything....

S.

Chuck abandoned the superperformance because of south african politics to employ the masses and therefore needing more production than he needed! he is now doing the car here in the states. He comes by here once a week and we talk. A real down to earth fine man.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(por73914 @ Jul 10 2007, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jul 10 2007, 10:42 AM) *

Are the kits still available? beer.gif

We have the molds and can make parts but really have a beautiful third version that we need someone to help us finish!
jaminM3
QUOTE(904svo @ Jul 10 2007, 05:36 PM) *

If you think the car is small, try to get in and out of it!!!! Chuck Beck added 2" to the door it's still hard to get in and out off. If your are over 6ft forget it.

If you are using a 914, how could it be any smaller than a 914?

confused24.gif (I'm 6'3" and you are bumming me out sad.gif )
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jaminM3 @ Jul 10 2007, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(904svo @ Jul 10 2007, 05:36 PM) *

confused24.gif (I'm 6'3" and you are bumming me out sad.gif )

there are two kits. the 904 (made by chuck beck or barry martin in england which are replicas of the original, and a 9014 kit that fits a 914 shell and its shape inspired by the 904 (same size as the 914)
Eric_Shea

Cause his isn't based off a 914.
roadster fan
I'm surprised no one posted the link from the Beck 904 post from a couple days ago.....here it is, cool car. Beck 904 post
woobn8r
Spoke to Lance Stander from SUPERFORMANCE...
He says ......

"Hi Sean

We are looking at doing a Porsche 904 but it will only happen some time in 08. Possibly. We have other projects planed at the moment to complete first.

Thanks

Lance Stander
714 330 3297 Cell
949 900 1951 Tell Office
502 470 4907 Fax

www.superformance.com
www.hillbankusa.com
www.hillbankmotorsports.com
6 Autry
Irvine, CA, 92618"

So there you have it.....

Sean

IronHillRestorations
I'm with the "I love 904" crowd. One of the sexiest designs ever IMHO.

There's a fair bit of 904 in our 914's. Pretty much same era, same layout, and some of the chassis is very similar.

Sorry, but I'm not too keen on the 9014. Too wide, that funky air dam (???) or whatever you call it on the rear trunk looks like it would act like a small parachute. the front fenders and sail panels look too tacked on. Good concept, making a 904 body kit for a 914, but it would take more to actually make it look like a 904.

The 9014 just doesn't work for me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.