Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uh....wtf?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Saturday night, I'm deciding where to sleep and I go home and snap! throttle cable just gives up. I get car pulled by a Camry back to my buddy's house and spend night. Next morning I look and notice that the cable was grey and looked like it was annealed, with melted globs in it, like three inches down the tunnel from where it attaches to the pedal. Would having this cable wrapped around the clutch cause this superheating and subsequent failure, or did I miss something when I put this used cable in my car?

Plus, I had to re-run all of my fuel pump wires only to find out I had my auxillary harness fuel pump plug accidentally unplugged, which was the reason for my 'voltage at engine bay, nothing at pump and no shorts' issue.

lol

Are the terry cables very nice? I need like the cadillac of cables, so I dont have to replace them every year. My clutch is a GEMO cable and its still holding up, my speedo cable is like almost toast totally.

I lubed this new cable i made up with tons of white lithium grease used for trailer hitches. Thick stuff too.
Dr. Roger
your throttle cable was a ground cable at some time in the past....

sorry.

u know the fix for this, right? =-)
Trekkor
I hope you get this figured out.

Nice one liner on the "other" forum dry.gif

KT
dmenche914
if indeed you have motlen metal ont eh accl. cable, and if you clutch cable is also bad as you state, and you have electrical problems, chances are good your tranny ground strap is not well grounded. what happens when your tranny ground fails, is the current then goes thru teh clutch cable, which is too small to safely carry the current tot eh starter, so it melts the cable.

before your replace the cables, repair the ground, else it will happen again.

the terry cable is nice, the stock one I found does not last as long, however ont he last terry cable, the peddle end had to be hacksawed shorted by about 1/4 inch to pass thru teh bends in my accl. tube, not all 914's may have as steep a bend however. no real problem

too check if the cable get twisted to to other, note if moving the clutch peddle makes any motion onthe accel peddle. if so, they are likely twisted.

good luck.

Clutch cables are poor ground wires!!!!!!!!! electricity is fascinating!!!!!!
Aaron Cox
tery cables are the shizzle...

DO NOT LUBE A TERRY CABLE. they are dry graphite lubed.....
Dr Evil
Fix your damn ground strap. rolleyes.gif You have all of the classic sequelae of a poor primary ground causing your cables to be a secondary ground. Your clutch is not far behind I bet.
bd1308
intrestingly enough, i have two ground cables on this beast.
bd1308
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 13 2006, 01:24 PM) *

I hope you get this figured out.

Nice one liner on the "other" forum dry.gif

KT

I purchased the cable used to repair my throttle cable from Home Depot. Otherwise i'd be screwed. Picture wire was used, much thicker than stock, holds up to 100# pictures on the wall.
bd1308
Oh and I used trailer hitch lubricant (white lithium based) for the cable, and I installed a 100 Ohm resistor bypass for the CHT, ran way too fat when cold (hardwired for 2.0L)
rick 918-S
Way to go Britt. Nice fix. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.