Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless Steel Lines from Pelican Parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
WTF.gif I ordered a set of the Stainless steel (DOT approved) steel lines from the bird board. No mention of any adapters needed. It turns out the hoses are female to female... which is fine for the end that goes to the frame... but how do I get them attached to the calipers? headbang.gif

I don't see any mention of any adapters needed... or perhaps I've got the wrong lines?

Any experience with the Bird's lines?
Crazyhippy
Assuming you are dealing w/ the fronts, there is a "S" shaped hardline that the braided line attaches too... You'll see it when you take everything apart.

Call me if you get lost, i can hand the phone to someone that knows what they are talking about while i'm @ the BBQ.

BJH
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Nov 16 2006, 09:09 PM) *

Assuming you are dealing w/ the fronts, there is a "S" shaped hardline that the braided line attaches too... You'll see it when you take everything apart.

Call me if you get lost, i can hand the phone to someone that knows what they are talking about while i'm @ the BBQ.

BJH

I'm actually talking about the rears... I guess I should upload pics.
Crazyhippy
rears are hardlined along the bottom of the trailing arm, and only soft around the pivot... Go look, stop trying to put it together on your desk.
Carlitos Way
Here is the problem. First picture: The line actually BROKE when i was trying to remove it from the caliper.

Carlitos Way
So I went to the bird board and ordered "stainless steel lines" assuming they were the same ones. You can see the "nipple," or rather the piece that broke off the old line, that fits into the caliper between the two lines.
Carlitos Way
I'm guessing I need something like this... but with a METRIC thread.
eg914
I recently replaced all four lines with stock type, the ends looked like those on the braided lines in the photo. It looks like your hard like broke at the caliper. That is what you should be looking for. The flexible lines do not connect directly to the calipers on this car. They are female on both ends to accomodate the fittings on the ends of the hard lines.
Aaron Cox
you need another stock hardline.

hardline goes from caliper to trailing arm. soft line or braided line goes from trailing arm to body mount...
Eric_Shea
agree.gif SS lines don't replace hard lines. They replace the rubber soft lines.
Carlitos Way
Sounds like it's time for another Bird order smile.gif

Thanks for the input guys!
Carlitos Way
Does anybody have a part number and source for the steel lines that go from the control arm to the caliper?
2-OH!
Eric Shea:

Are the hard line fittings and the caliper threads metric or are they US standards...

If US standards, you can buy the lines with fittings, various lenghts at any FLAPS and bend your own...You better be a good bender though...They are small lines...

2-OH!
SirAndy
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Nov 17 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Are the hard line fittings and the caliper threads metric or are they US standards...

now, i'm no expert on brakelines, but i don't think a car manufactured in germany in the early '70s would have used US standard fittings ...
cool_shades.gif Andy

PS: in fact, what ever happened to your (the US of A) switch to metric in the late '70s ???
Eric_Shea
Bad news is, those (metric) hard lines are NLA. You'll need to have them made up and bent. I may try a local outfit here and have a bunch made... confused24.gif
736conver
They are still made you just have to buy it in kit form, the whole car, made by cohine. As for bending them its not hard. Just use a brake bender or various round items. I made some nice bends using a glass beer bottle.
Carlitos Way
Would you happent o have contact info for Cohine?

Thanks!
Crazyhippy
Carlos, you should be able to get the hardlines from Napa, or similar. They are a 10mm bubble flare. Measure the lenght you need (+or-an inch) and call around for one. They might only be available in 12, 15 or 18" lengths, so be sure it will fit. I can bend it up in no time if need be, or use a bottle and have at it.

BJH
Carlitos Way
Thanks guys!!!

THe fix was as BJ said: $4.19 at NAPA. Standard length. Metric? no problem! Guy knew exactly where they were and he even showed me. I picked up 2 lengths just in case. Turned out the short one was just perfect. I believe it was 18 inches.

Thanks a lot for all your help!!!
Crazyhippy
drunk.gif I'm gonna have a beer in my honor drunk.gif

OK, maybe 3.. you guys talked me into it beer3.gif beer.gif beer3.gif

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.