Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this be done?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ws91420
Is it possible with help to drop an engine, tear it down to install a cam, reassemble and reinstall in one day? welder.gif
davep
I doubt it very much, unless you are talking a full 24 hours and a top notch team.
Why do you want to replace the cam?
ws91420
I have carbs w/ a FI cam.
Dr Evil
I know you and I say NO FREAKING WAY! You do not want to try this my friend. Rememeder the golden rule of working on 914s; there is no quick job and all jobs lead to more jobs and more jobs for ever and ever...

This woudl be a good winter project for you because you will need to fix a bunch of things in there while you are in there. Think of all fo the seals and things that will need cleaning. You will be seeing the rings which may need replacing and there is always a possibility of finding a bad cylinder or head issue. I may be able to help you if you do it over the x-mas break.
sww914
These cams don't just slide right out the front like a small block chevy.
I don't think you could get it done in a day even if you'd done 20 of them in the last couple of months.
william harris
Haste makes waste. Rushing can only lead to disaster. blink.gif
ws91420
A little background on the motor it is a fresh rebuild thet I did myself w/ less than 750 miles on it (best guess) heads were done w/ new guides, new P&C , new oil pump, bearings, and seals. I realize that I have to splity the case so I am not a total noob to disassembly of the engine. I just nknow the last I disassembled it it took awhile to reassemble it. (old wife not new one was the major problem)
Tom Perso
2 days if you hauled @$$ and didn't run into any problems.

Of course, rushing a cam install on a T4 is like playing Russian rulette, but with 5 bullets. barf.gif

Tom
HeloMech
I still have my FI cam with my carbs...
Dr Evil
I dont mean to imply that you are inept, Welby. I would not do it either if it were me and I had time.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Nov 19 2006, 05:40 PM) *

I still have my FI cam with my carbs...

Run the snot out of it as-is....build another motor, taking yer time....wait until it sucks a seat or runs so well that you decide to sell the built motor, sell it then blow the motor..... blink.gif

Oh wait....that's what I did..... headbang.gif
ws91420
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 19 2006, 08:42 PM) *

I dont mean to imply that you are inept, Welby. I would not do it either if it were me and I had time.

I wasn't implying that you thought that just was letting you know that it was a fresh rebuild so that some of the normal issues may be a non problem.
Sammy
It can be done that quickly, but probably not done right.
I've done many emergency repairs over the past 25 years and I've learned that schedule it the worst enemy of quality.

You will need to take your time to inspect, clean, and evaluate.
If you are in a hurry you will skip those important steps.
914Sixer
I think it can be done. One hour to drop engine and tranny. Separate engine and tranny and get engine on stand (1 hr). Disassemble engine (2 hrs) . Reassemble engine (2 hrs). I think with the recent rebuild, there should be minimal clean up. Everthing should go back easily.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif go ahead "YOU CAN DO IT" clap56.gif aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
type47
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 19 2006, 05:43 PM) *

build another motor, taking yer time....wait until it sucks a seat or runs so well that you decide to sell the built motor

agree.gif too much work for too little return especially with a freshly rebuilt motor. if it ain't broke, don't fix it. but it's yours and you can do anything you want to.
Dr Evil
Place your bets! Place your bets! rolleyes.gif
majkos
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 20 2006, 07:02 AM) *

Place your bets! Place your bets! rolleyes.gif

What are the odds??Where can I place my bets?

I say, won't be done in a day.You always run into something.
Missing just ONE seal, you're set back. BTDT. mad.gif

If you go for it , Good luck! beer.gif
G e o r g e
wouldn't it be easier just to put fuel injection back on? confused24.gif
majkos
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 20 2006, 12:32 PM) *

wouldn't it be easier just to put fuel injection back on? confused24.gif

av-943.gif chairfall.gif
G e o r g e
QUOTE(majkos @ Nov 20 2006, 11:33 AM) *

av-943.gif chairfall.gif

What's so funny?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.