Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating vs. paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Powdercoating - what's the advantage? Have a bunch of sheetmetal I'm about to redo. Last time I blasted & repainted - that was '79. No flaws, no regrets, still looks perfect.

But, I have a spare set I want to redo now. Have some p-coated parts that are OK, but the edges don't seem to get coated consistantly. Not even sure if they're superior to paint.

What's the consensus? And I mean, for longevity. How do you get the exposed edges coated properly? What's the advantage (if any) to p-coating?
Bleyseng
My 914's tin is powdercoated and is now 6 years old. I can spray "Gunk" cleaner or other caustic cleaners in the engine bay without worry.

The Westy's tin is spraypainted and some oil leaked so I sprayed some "Gunk" on there to clean it. Boy was that dumb as its all coming off and is wrinkled up. Guess next summer ALL the tin will go to the powdercoaters. alfred.gif headbang.gif

Go with a quality powdercoating shop, Pat. You can pick a "Satin Black" finish that is so perfectly close to the original finish too.

Now you just have to mimic the white stamped numbers laugh.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 20 2006, 11:27 PM) *

My 914's tin is powdercoated and is now 6 years old. I can spray "Gunk" cleaner or other caustic cleaners in the engine bay without worry.

The Westy's tin is spraypainted and some oil leaked so I sprayed some "Gunk" on there to clean it. Boy was that dumb as its all coming off and is wrinkled up. Guess next summer ALL the tin will go to the powdercoaters. alfred.gif headbang.gif

Go with a quality powdercoating shop, Pat. You can pick a "Satin Black" finish that is so perfectly close to the original finish too.

Now you just have to mimic the white stamped numbers laugh.gif

Geoff,

I can mimic the numbers, but don't know what they mean!

BTW, I've used brake cleaner on my "painted" tin a number of times with no negatives. I always put paste wax on it afterward, but never any degredation of the paint (epoxy).

How did the edges of your powdercoated tin come out. Reason I ask is that the parts I've had done are inconsistent on the edge coating - some spaces not covered at all, others overly coated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.