Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front end project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
getting ready for my first winter project. want to put in turbo tie rods (seen it done) front struts (looks simple on paper). my question is i need to know if my ball joints need to be replaced. what symptons or clues should i look for?
So.Cal.914
There should be no slack (wear) in the ball and socket like the one on the

turbo tierod.
TravisNeff
Check the boots on your balljoints, if ripped or torn - replace. Also check for play in the joint. I would bet they are probably original on your car.
Joe Ricard
This reminds me I need to buy one of them fancy tools for removing the ball joint from control arm.
TravisNeff
I tried making the tool, no worky - I tried a 3lb sledge and a drift, no worky. Took the A-arm to a local shop with the new balljoints and they replaced both for 1 hour shop charge - money well spent.

When I did my front end I did everything, cleaned and regreased rack, put a hose clamp on the rag joint for the rack, new tie rods, ball joints and rotors/bearings. Good piece of mind and totally changed the way the car felt & drove.
nycchef

did you remove the entire suspension from the car in one piece? is this a better idea given i may replace 1/2 the parts and can it be done by someone with limited 914 experience. stop laughing leo.
Leo Imperial
av-943.gif KMA.gif
TravisNeff
I did remove the suspension as an assembly (I was also replacing torsion bars and bushings). In your case you can do it either way.
Leo Imperial
He can pull the front end off if he pulls hard enough. It will detatch at the longs biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
"You'll put your eye out kid!"

You DO NOT need that shitty special tool that I bought and wasted $50 on from Pelican! Get a good Harbor Freight pipe wrench and remove the castellated nut that way. Replace the nuts too and when you do put some anti seize on the ball joint threads. If you do this you will not have to get extreme should you have to remove them in the future. You can do the tie rids just fine, but removing the tie rods from the spindle arms may prove to be a huge PITA as they like to stick. You will need a "pickle fork", $8 at your local FLAPS unless you live in Brooklyn biggrin.gif

Make sure to keep your alignment, and the big metal donuts go between the tierod and the steering wrack (they are not bump steer pieces).
nycchef
[quote name='Dr Evil' date='Nov 21 2006, 03:16 PM' post='820858']

maybe i can borrow yours when i bring you the 912 tranny and my tranny after the holidays. might as well have you do mine. help support starving and soon to be rich doctors.
Dr Evil
[quote name='nycchef' date='Nov 21 2006, 07:03 PM' post='820894']
[quote name='Dr Evil' date='Nov 21 2006, 03:16 PM' post='820858']

maybe i can borrow yours when i bring you the 912 tranny and my tranny after the holidays. might as well have you do mine. help support starving and soon to be rich doctors.
[/quote]

You know I got yer back thumb3d.gif
highways
Beware of the new tierods kits- there seems to be something wrong in the rubber formula for the boots and they start cracking after 3 months. Not sure which ones are the bad ones (or good ones) but lots of people have had that problem lately.
Dr Evil
The bad ones are the no name cheap ones. I bought such a kit for $94 and it went to shit in 3 mo with out even driving it much. I ended up buying new rod ends and boots = net savings of $0.

Lemferodo (sp) all the way
nycchef
Lemferodo (sp) all the way
[/quote]

mike where did you get em? have a good turkey day
Dr Evil
GPRparts and Pelican Parts will have them.

Gobble Gobble!
GWN7
Here's my tie rod replacement........I should have done the ball joints while I was in there...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=56323&hl=
914werke
and regreased rack, put a hose clamp on the rag joint for the rack

Travis when you say you "re-greased" the rack what to you mean. And what is the clamp supposed to fix?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.