Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT IE7 sucks....how to roll it back or replace...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
I was inspired by this thread and went through the W3C validation apps and fixed a few things as well as cleaned up my JavaScript. Now it works.... the same. dry.gif But at least my code is cleaner. lol2.gif

The DOCTYPE stuff is new to me and I still don't fully understand it because I'm too lazy to read about it. All I know is that the DOCTYPE I used for a minute killed my menus and it took me an hour to figure it out (never code at 3 am yawn.gif ).
Lavanaut
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 23 2006, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 23 2006, 11:25 AM) *

I use Netscape 7.1 without issue.
What's Firefox?

LOL Its the free open-source version of Netscape.

rolleyes.gif Umm...no it isn't. They are common to Mozilla, but Firefox is neither a version nor a derivative of Netscape. poke.gif

Marty, if you've never heard of Firefox, it's a great, free browser alternative to Internet Explorer. It's available for tons of platforms, and has a really extensive collection of free, user-developed "extensions" to make it highly customizable. It's *at least* as secure as IE (and commonly believed to be more so). If you want to check it out, my personal recommendation would be to go with version 1.5 until they get some newly introduced (with version 2.0) bugs sorted out.

Jeezus, I sound like I'm a stock holder or something. In reality though, I'm just anti IE. thumb3d.gif

Ahhhh...Thanksgiving day, hanging out at the 'Club... givemebeer.gif
crash914
hmmmm ie7 just crashed...firefox going strong....
jasons
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 23 2006, 01:26 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 23 2006, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 23 2006, 11:25 AM) *

I use Netscape 7.1 without issue.
What's Firefox?

LOL Its the free open-source version of Netscape.

rolleyes.gif Umm...no it isn't. They are common to Mozilla, but Firefox is neither a version nor a derivative of Netscape. poke.gif

Marty, if you've never heard of Firefox, it's a great, free browser alternative to Internet Explorer. It's available for tons of platforms, and has a really extensive collection of free, user-developed "extensions" to make it highly customizable. It's *at least* as secure as IE (and commonly believed to be more so). If you want to check it out, my personal recommendation would be to go with version 1.5 until they get some newly introduced (with version 2.0) bugs sorted out.

Jeezus, I sound like I'm a stock holder or something. In reality though, I'm just anti IE. thumb3d.gif

Ahhhh...Thanksgiving day, hanging out at the 'Club... givemebeer.gif

Whatever? If we have to be that specific, you're right and I'm wrong. But you're a dork. What time are you getting in line at CompUSA for black friday deals? poke.gif Back at ya nerdus-erectus type.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 23 2006, 09:11 PM) *
If we have to be that specific, you're right and I'm wrong.

At least you took it like an adult. thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 24 2006, 06:46 PM) *

speaking of ...

i just went through an "issue" with a web-app (that someone else developed) that was crashing under IE7 ...

and here's what i found:

- the original developer had added a "hack" to make the webapp work with IE6. switching to IE7 made the webapp crash. after some digging, i found that IE7 is now in compliance with the W3C standard and the old "hack" didn't work anymore.

the fix was simple, i just removed the old "hack" and now it runs just fine!
biggrin.gif

PS: i bet a lot of problems with IE7 might actually be based on the same circumstances, old code that was used to get around IE4/5/6 non-compliance now causing IE7 to crash ...
jasons
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 24 2006, 07:46 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 23 2006, 09:11 PM) *
If we have to be that specific, you're right and I'm wrong.

LOL you know what I did this morning? I went to Staples at 6:00 am to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.