Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT IE7 sucks....how to roll it back or replace...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
crash914
anyone know any solution on how to re-arrainge the info at the top of the browser?

I don't want all the pretty pictures. just give me a plain browser with 1 click email....

any suggustions?

Linux?
Dr Evil
Herb,
I finally got sick of all the BS with IE and switched to Mozilla Firefox. Less virus threat for now and works great. Some pages may view differently, though.
JerryP
agree.gif Firefox works great.
Bartlett 914
I also like FireFox but there are some things that don't work correctly. I still need IE for UPS and my sons online game for some reason. What is wrong with IE7?
crash914
Yea I think I will be in firefox land shortly....
Dr Evil
Supposedly there are free patches for firfox to make it work with the other applications and pages. I havent had the time to research them AND I am mildly computer illiterate.
JerryP
Most sites do have patches for firefox, if you need them, but I do have a few subscribed sites that still require IE only.
So.Cal.914
I just installed the new IE and it is considerably less cluttered then what I had.
william harris
Use Function key F11 to get full screen view and lose the clutter at top of page. biggrin.gif
Lou W
agree.gif with Jerry P Alot of my work sites won't let me in with Firefox.

I set up IE7 on my home pc sad.gif augh, I hated it, finally figured out the favorites, etc. what exactly are you trying to do? I wasn't able to make it look like the original. I'm really hesitant to click the IE7 upgrade on my laptop at this point.
VaccaRabite
At Loyola College we were advised NOT to install IE7. It is way buggy, and most current internet apps do not work with it. Also, various reps for different apps that we run have called asking if we were planning to move to IE7. All were relieved when we said NO.

I use firefox at work and at home, and have had zero problems with it. I do keep a copy of IE6 on my work machine just incase I need it. In the 6 months since I made the switch, I have needed to boot IE once.

Zach
crash914
I had to upgrade for the verizon tie in.
lost all my favorites, lost the email icon.
can't change where the address bar is,
don't want the micosoft live
want the menu bar above the address bar..
I could go on and on...
HeloMech
I upgraded one of my pc's at home to IE7. I like it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I didn't lose any of my favorites, all of my buttons were still there. I did have to drag the icons window on the top so they were visible rather than a dropdown. Other than that... no worries as of yet.

can't upgrade at work. Big Brother doesn't like it yet.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 22 2006, 08:19 AM) *

At Loyola College we were advised NOT to install IE7. It is way buggy, and most current internet apps do not work with it.

bs.gif

i've been using it for weeks, 12 hours+ a day, never had a *single* problem ...

the interface takes some time to get used to, but it's actually less cluttered than the old one, once you get the hang of it ...

i like it!
piratenanner.gif Andy

PS: plus, it renders the pages faster than IE6 ...
seanery
I like it, too. But it is a bit different...but more streamlined in it's look and the way it operates.a

I really dig the TABS.
aircooledboy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 22 2006, 10:41 AM) *

the interface takes some time to get used to, but it's actually less cluttered than the old one, once you get the hang of it ...

i like it!
piratenanner.gif Andy

Ditto, not a single problem. All the smut sites. . . . er, I mean web sites I frequent seem to load faster and run smoother. confused24.gif
Gary#
I haven't upgraded to IE7. I don't even like IE6. I use FireFox.
---
But (mini hi-jack) I have another issue maybe ya'll can help me with;
For the last few days, when I turn off WinXP it gives me a funny lookin'
shut down button that says it's updating XP. Yeah o.k.
But it gives me this every day every time I shut it off...
whatz up with that??? WTF.gif and now Firefox scrools up & down real jerky.
Starting to get on my nerves. A virus scan with Norton found nothing.
ditto with AdAware. confused24.gif
thx in advance.
crash914
ok, I feel a poll comming on...who wants to start one...

What browser are you using

do you like your browser....
crash914
For some reason, my favorites folder was hidden????

I still don't like that the address bar is at the top...can't move it
mrhurtalot
fire fox rocks.

opera isnt bad either.

ie sucks.
Toast
I hate it too. I dont like the way it is set up, and I can not change it to the way I like it.
I perfer the menu bar on top, the search bar underneath that. I am not able to arrange it that way at all. Plus I do not like the way the search bar is layed out, and I can not change it.
bd1308
I had something long in here, but I dont care to add drama.

If I had my way, i'd be using NT.
Trevorg7
IE7 is ok but as a key stroker (limited mouse use) I don't care for the window tabs. I would rather key stroke ALT TAB to switch between windows. Additionally I HATE the fact that the F4 key won't highlight the entire address line which allows for ease of use to type in a new web address. Lame!

T
Lavanaut
I've been using Firefox for years and have come to loathe IE, especially as a Web developer. Microsoft insists upon reinventing the wheel, Web-wise, and up until IE7 has done a huge disservice to the online community by forcing site developers to develop needlessly complex cross-browser sites to accommodate IE's "features". This is why there have long been cries calling for the boycott of Internet Explorer. For those of you who get frustrated with sites that don't work properly in Firefox/Opera/Netscape/Konqueror, whatever...you can blame microsoft. Sites that only render in IE are that way because the developers chose to support IE's *WRONG* way of doing things because they have the largest market share of users. headbang.gif

With IE7 Microsoft has reportedly started down the enlightened path of adhering to web standards, what a novel idea. It's about f$&*%ing time.
</rant>

That said, I've had stability issues with Firefox since upgrading a couple of weeks ago, and now this fairly serious bug has surfaced. If you're already using Firefox, go with version 1.5 for now...Mozilla's most stable browser offering to date. If you're using IE and have never tried Firefox, I would. Once you get used FF, I can almost guarantee you'll never go back.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Nov 22 2006, 09:57 AM) *

IE7 is ok but as a key stroker (limited mouse use) I don't care for the window tabs. I would rather key stroke ALT TAB to switch between windows.

You'll grow to like the tabs, Firefox or IE. I have seven tabs open right now, but my task bar is nice and neat. All you need to do is get used to Ctrl+Tab insted of Alt+Tab (I use both copiously). wink.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 22 2006, 11:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 22 2006, 08:19 AM) *

At Loyola College we were advised NOT to install IE7. It is way buggy, and most current internet apps do not work with it.

bs.gif

i like it!
piratenanner.gif Andy

Perhaps I should amend my statement to say that most of the web apps that we run on campus don't play well with IE7. None of the web apps related to the institutional database work with IE7, and those apps more or less run the administrative side of the college. The web utilities for the image database on campus also don't work correctly with IE7. Our automated forms software also does not work with IE7. Our vendors for the forms and images databases called us to let us know that IE7 is not yet supported for thier products and were happy to know we werenot using it yet. Both vendors suggested going to firefox.

I am sure that over time, these apps will be "fixed" to play together with IE7 but right now they arn't. Until it is proven to work with the programs that we need on campus, I won't suggest it to anyone.

Zach
Trevorg7
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 22 2006, 10:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Nov 22 2006, 09:57 AM) *

IE7 is ok but as a key stroker (limited mouse use) I don't care for the window tabs. I would rather key stroke ALT TAB to switch between windows.

You'll grow to like the tabs, Firefox or IE. I have seven tabs open right now, but my task bar is nice and neat. All you need to do is get used to Ctrl+Tab insted of Alt+Tab (I use both copiously). wink.gif

CTRL TAB does it? Kewl. I'll try that out. Similarly CTRL SHIFT TAB goes backward?

T
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Nov 22 2006, 10:23 AM) *

CTRL TAB does it? Kewl. I'll try that out. Similarly CTRL SHIFT TAB goes backward?

In Firefox anyway, yeah. Crtl+w closes a tab too, and Ctrl+t opens a new one.
Aaron Cox
firefox r my heeero
mrhurtalot
any program ive used with tabs used ctrl tab to switch tabs. ithink its like standard.
cooltimes
Firefox is like lots of 914's. Very drivable especially on the twisties you'll find when surfing on the Internet. Smooth operator too. Take it from a dummy. If I can use it without problems, and I do, you can too.

Besides, It's Mozilla, which is the father of GUI browsers that even IE had to copy. Mozilla also inverted into Netscape and now Firefox.
Someone mentioned playing games. Playing games does require IE because MS owns and controls DirectX use, including all upgrades, which is normally required to play online games or view graphic content.

MikeCool
Hammy
Only beef I have with Firefox is that old threads here on the club don't display properly sometimes. I have to open them in IE.
ayama
how to revert back to IE 6. Go to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. Pick Windows Internet Explorer 7 from the list and uninstall it. Reboot, and IE6 will have returned. You will still have the ability to reinstall IE 7 if you so choose.

To block IE7 auto upgrade, go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

type.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(Hammy @ Nov 22 2006, 02:43 PM) *

Only beef I have with Firefox is that old threads here on the club don't display properly sometimes. I have to open them in IE.

That's like saying you have a beef with your teener for jostling you when you drive over a pot hole, so to avoid getting jostled, you drive a Lincoln towncar. wink.gif
crash914
downloading firefox as we speak... now to see how I like it..
at least I have a choice... I like that..
hberwald
this reply completed through firefox....

so far I like it. simple...
hberwald
oops. where is my avatar....???
crash914
use the correct log in and it will return...
McMark
Bartlett, Dr. Evil - FireFox 2 is much better than the previous version. Check which one you have.

Lavanut - Standards compliance is a f-ing pain in my ass. Trying to dev a CSS drop down menu has been rediculous. It works great in Firefox 2. But nothing else. dry.gif
chilli
QUOTE(JerryP @ Nov 22 2006, 08:49 AM) *

agree.gif Firefox works great.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif Firefox has been my choice since it became available. It sometimes will not work with certain pages. Not firefox fault webmaster don't test in firefox.

Lavanaut
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2006, 09:51 PM) *

Bartlett, Dr. Evil - FireFox 2 is much better than the previous version. Check which one you have.

McMark, what makes you say this? Better how? I'm only asking because in my experience, it's been much worse than previous versions. Version 2 has crashed on me more times in the last three weeks than 1.5 did in the last six months. I notice it particularly on Ajax-enabled sites. My coworkers and friends have reported similar experiences.
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2006, 09:51 PM) *

Lavanut - Standards compliance is a f-ing pain in my ass. Trying to dev a CSS drop down menu has been rediculous.

Those two sentences don't make sense together, to me. If you develop to standards, your site should render correctly in browsers that are standard compliant. Therein lies the beauty...develop your site to standards, and if Google releases a new standard compliant web browser next week, your site will work perfectly with zero modification. If your site only renders in FF v2, it's not implemented "correctly" (as defined by the W3C, the folks that get to make up the rules). smile.gif

Anyway, it's an interesting topic, one best discuessed over beerchug.gif

Oh, and I like "Lavanut" way better... laugh.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Nov 22 2006, 11:42 PM) *

Oh, and I like "Lavanut" way better... laugh.gif

I never noticed I had it wrong until now... pinch.gif

W3C standards are one thing, Browser implementation is another. But you're right, I'm probably not W3C compliant.

FF2 has never crashed on me. Do you have a site that is giving you trouble? FF2 has spell checking built in. laugh.gif
geniusanthony
Don't know if this has been answered correctly yet or not but herre goes

Control Panel>Add/Remove programs>click show updates at the top>scroll down to IE7 and remove>ReBoot and IE6 will return.

I know it sounds alot like ayolla's solution but he didnt mention "show updates"
Dr. Roger
the latest cnet review says firefox 2 kicks IE7's blue butt, hands down
across the board.

i guess i'm going to have to try it now. =-)
jasons
My only complaint about firefox (and this may be a problem with this site) is when I view a searched thread here, the thread does not parse right and some responses get displayed out of whack.

Otherwise, Firefox rules.
MartyYeoman
I use Netscape 7.1 without issue.
What's Firefox?
jasons
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 23 2006, 11:25 AM) *

I use Netscape 7.1 without issue.
What's Firefox?

LOL Its the free open-source version of Netscape.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 23 2006, 10:25 AM) *

What's Firefox?

av-943.gif

seriously tho, i'm all about standards. every web-app i build get's tested in IE, Firefox, Netscape and Opera. even if you adhere to the standards, there are always subtle differences in how a page is rendered.

my general experience, the less you fiddle with CSS and DHTML and the more you move your "fancy" stuff to *server* side scripting, the better off you are.

i've build several rather large commercial websites with lots of goodies and bling and i have to say that cross-browser issues are next to none.

IE7 runs great with all the sites i have done in the past, right out of the box ...

type.gif Andy
Rand
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 22 2006, 10:51 PM) *

Standards compliance is a f-ing pain in my ass. Trying to dev a CSS drop down menu has been rediculous. It works great in Firefox 2. But nothing else. dry.gif

I hear ya... But I'm thankful for standards. Once everyone gets on the same page it's going to rock. We're getting closer all the time. You can solve 99% of the IE problems by using DOCTYPE.

Mark, check out this web site. He has a ton of premium CSS dropdown menus: Stu Nicholls CSSPlay
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 23 2006, 10:49 AM) *

You can solve 99% of the IE problems by using DOCTYPE.

agree.gif

and let's face it, it's *not* IE's fault if the developer doesn't know what he's doing ... cool_shades.gif

CODE
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

i usually always use "loose.dtd", it makes backwards compatibility (older webapps that is, not older browsers) much easier ...
bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.