Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this sail panel be fixed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
For those who have leaking rear windows (that would be all of you), this might be a bit gruesome. sad.gif

Can this sail panel be fixed without cutting it out and replacing with a whole new (to me) one?

Drivers Sail Panel \"Head-On\"

Drivers Sail Panel \"Side View\"

Drivers Sail Panel \"Side View 2\"

This car is planned to be acid dipped. If this can be fixed with fiberglass or other material, what can be done to help protect the inside of the sail panel? I stuck a flashlight up to it, and of course. there is surface rust all over inside the panel. Is there a "foam" that could be squirted in there? Or squirt as much POR-15 as possible in there and then fill with a water resistant foam? Or....?
Andyrew
From what I have heard, foam is bad, the foam may be water resistant, but the metal isnt... I would cut it open so you could clean the area better, and then por 15 the area.. Dont know..

Andrew
type47fan
What sail panels? Those pics look like shots of the Titanic! cool_shades.gif

Seriously, best of luck with the resto. . . .

Wayne (type47fan)
SirAndy
NO foam
NO fiberglass

if you go through all the hassle of acid dippin the car, do it right (dude!).

get a rustfree replacement from a donor car.
in fact, i think we have what you need here at the shop on the "needs to be thrown away" pile.

weld it up with REAL metal !!!!

Andy
kafermeister
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 12 2003, 01:32 AM)
..."needs to be thrown away" pile.

Andy

What else ya got in the 'needs to be thrown away' pile? I'm looking for a similar piece but for the other side.
boxsterfan
..."needs to be thrown away" pile.

Andy

If you have some in a throw away pile, I'll take one for the drivers and passengers side. The passenger side has similar rust. How much? Let me know...

Otherwise, this car is being dipped assuming it will come back out of the vat. laugh.gif

Seems like if I dip the car in acid and then POR15 the inside of the sail panel (since a rather large access hole will now be present) that using fiberglass to re-do or re-create the missing section would be the best. Maybe 914's cause fiberglass to rust... cool.gif
mr914
There is rust in Arizona?

I agree, find a suitable donor car and replace the back structure. Use a replacement sail panel from Resto Design.

I would then Por-15 the inner portions (that are not were you would be welding. Treat the rest of it with a Zinc primer and weld it up.

I definately would stay away from foam or fiberglass.
SirAndy
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Nov 12 2003, 07:35 AM)
If you have some in a throw away pile, I'll take one for the drivers and passengers side. The passenger side has similar rust. How much? Let me know...

PM brad and ask him ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(kafermeister @ Nov 12 2003, 04:11 AM)
What else ya got in the 'needs to be thrown away' pile? I'm looking for a similar piece but for the other side.

PM brad and ask him. he wanted to take pictures for quite a while now ...

Andy
SirAndy
boxsterfan,
i took a pic of the part on the junk pile today.
let me know if that's what you need.
it's rust free, the black stuff you see in the pic is just overspray.
(i used it as a "table" for painting little parts wink.gif )

Andy
SirAndy
nother
SirAndy
backside
Brad Roberts
Rick,

The right side was toast (the guard rail went up the side of the car).

B
Bleyseng
Hmmm, could that be Jenny's old ride?

Geoff
Brad Roberts
The last few pieces.

B
Van914
cool_shades.gif

Restoration Designs makes the panel both left and right. $119 each

Restoration-Design.com/

Van914
kafermeister
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2003, 02:36 AM)
Rick,

The right side was toast (the guard rail went up the side of the car).

B

Moopheus/Brad, Thanks for checking. Got anything in the lines of a front left fender? That's the only one that I don't have yet.

After your report, I was wondering if that was Jenny's old car. Geoff seems to have nailed it.

Van, thanks for the tip. I checked RD's website first to see if anyone was actually making that panel. I'll go that route if I haven't acquired anything by spring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.