Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: QUAD GAUGE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
Here is the Quad Gauge project I have been working on.
Sorry about the fingerprints on the glass.

I wanted to gauge interest on making a few of these. They are designed for use in V8 cars, but the senders have metric adapters.

I could probably use metric scale on the gauges as well.

Once I get rolling I am going to try to keep the price below $250. Does that sound reasonable? I can see why Some speedo shops charge $500.

The gauge lights up pretty good at night thanks to new LED lighting. The reserve light is retained, but no e-brake indicator as of yet.

Still a few tweeks to do, but that is basically it.

Mark
marks914
Here is a pic at night, its a bit hard to see, but you get the picture.

Mark

jd66921
I wopuld LOVE one of those! I assume you would sell the complete unit,
including gauges, minus the senders?

Jeff
jwalters
beerchug.gif Excellent job bro! Pricing is very reasonable - would suggest you allow flex in pricing to reflect efforts and parts availability, make sure you pay yourself!

Things like this are coveted by this crowd! Keeps the dash sano AND gives the things most want!

J
marks914
Thanks,
The gauge will include senders, wiring, everything required.

Mark
tomkirkcis
I would certainly be interested, please put me in line.
smontanaro
Will it work in a /6?

Thx,

Skip
pjhaun
Is it possible to get this gauge with a white face?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.
marks914
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Nov 23 2006, 08:52 AM) *

Will it work in a /6?

Thx,

Skip

QUOTE(pjhaun @ Nov 23 2006, 08:59 AM) *

Is it possible to get this gauge with a white face?

Thank You!!!!
Phillip J. Haun
Oak Harbor, WA.

I do not know if it will work on a 6. The senders are the standard aftermarket style with adapters.
This is basically the surrogate gauge:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-800111

If you can use this in your car, then the quad will work.

I can do white faces as well.

Mark
JPB
How about nipper rods like Suby conversions? Very nice and a must have item.
pete-stevers
looks great!!! wish you could put one togather for a six....
i would order in a flash....
perhaps instead of water temp- oil pressure
just dreamin out loud.....
IanStott
I am very interested in this, will save to my file, when I start reassembly this is just what I want.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
jwalters

Do you mean oil temp vs water temp??

Can do both -
marks914
The gauge should work on most water cooled engines, no use for a water temp gauge on an air cooled car.

Mark

I believe it should work on a subie, the senders have some metric adapters. If anyone has aftermarket gaues on their subie, then this one will work as well.

Mark
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looks good. For the e-brake indicator, how about a super-bright LED or two hidden off to the side of one of the gauges that is(are) illuminated when the brake is set.
boxstr
So is the pricing the same as the surrogate gauge set? biggrin.gif
CCLINQUADTUPLETS
marks914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 23 2006, 10:32 AM) *

So is the pricing the same as the surrogate gauge set? biggrin.gif
CCLINQUADTUPLETS

the surrogate gauge set is $67 I use the guts and senders from this set and the rest is fabbed.

The quad gauge will be around $250

Mark
jwalters
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 23 2006, 01:15 PM) *

The gauge should work on most water cooled engines, no use for a water temp gauge on an air cooled car.

Mark

I believe it should work on a subie, the senders have some metric adapters. If anyone has aftermarket gaues on their subie, then this one will work as well.

Mark

The reason I said that is because all of our engines have the plate to add a temp sender for the oil - the water gauge uses the same resistance as the oil senders - it is good to keep an eye on oil temps. This tells you allot about what is going on inside an aircooled engine--
neo914-6
clap56.gif Nice work!
914-8
Very nice! For a SBC, I assume?

I'd buy one for $250 or less!

Would like to have the e-brake light, though. Would it be hard to put one in place? If not, I suppose I could run the e-brake light to somewhere else on the dash.

I kinda need it, I'm not 100% at remembering to put the brake down!

Very nice work!
type47fan
smilie_pokal.gif Great job, Mark! You've really got a winner with this one. Can you stick it in a dash so we can get the full impact?

Thanks,
thesey914
This is very nice. We need one for a six
smontanaro
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Nov 23 2006, 10:52 AM) *

Will it work in a /6?

Sorry, dumb question. We need a "crawl in a hole and hide" smiley.

Skip
jmmotorsports
I will buy one also. Please let me know whwn they are ready.

Jerry
lybones
clap56.gif looks awesome! This one's definately going on my wish list.
marks914
I will have these available in January or Feb at the latest.

I have a few tweeks to do and I will add a light for the e-brake and one for an accessory just to keep it balanced.

I can do early and late style gauges, they can both take the same parts.
The water temp could work for oil, but it only reads to 250 (gauge says 280, but thats an error on my part)

If I come across a cheap 90 degree sweep oil temp gauge, I will incorporate it.

I plan to calibrate the prototype and install it in my car for some testing this weekend.

Mark
bd1308
I'm in smile.gif

that looks *NICE*

I'm so in.
914-8
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 24 2006, 01:24 PM) *

I have a few tweeks to do and I will add a light for the e-brake and one for an accessory just to keep it balanced.

Cool. Why not keep the stock alternator warning light to balance out the e-brake light?
736conver
That looks awesome drooley.gif and an excellent price too mueba.gif .

bd1308
I finally understood the "water temp" vs oil temp thing, what are nominal oil temps in a aircooled engine?

I mean 250 should be more than enough, right?
turbo914v8
Great work, Would it be possible to omint the voltage gauge and replace it with a Oil temp guage? For my V8 I would like to have Oil temp, Oil pressure, Water temp, fuel level. This would be the perfect guage for me. If you can accomodate that I will purchase one for sure, even if its a little bit extra. Please let me know.
jwalters
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 24 2006, 07:48 PM) *

I finally understood the "water temp" vs oil temp thing, what are nominal oil temps in a aircooled engine?

I mean 250 should be more than enough, right?

Yes! 250 is plenty enough - most people shoot for 190-210 max oil temps - in an aircooled engine, the oil is actually a major contributor to cooling!
marks914
I am planning on selling these outright with a core charge. I am currently getting 10 gauges from my somewhat local source, 6 early and 4 late style. That should be a good start.

This week will be cutting from the patterns for the final product and sourcing some water jetting and some printing out to local shops. I can't keep making things at work, people are starting to wonder what the heck Im doing in the shops so much.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.