914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ninefourteener
Had my teener going on 6 months now. Several upgrades accomplished already:

swapped pedrinis to fuchs
installed Porsche emblem
Aiwa Cd
Component speakers
Ultimate air dam
air dam and rear valence painted to match the car.

I'm "ok" with the fuchs... but the car needs a set of 16s or 17s and to be dropped 1.5 inches. I want to do a 5-lug conversion.... I also want to keep the fenders stock.

Is there a kit? A kit that includes everything I need for a 5-lug conversion. I have the money to do it right, just wanna make sure I get quality stuff. I'm going to go with an aftermarket wheel, so a nice brake upgrade is definately in the works.

Any suggestions? Places? Companies? Parts?

Help!
AZ914
As far as a 'kit' is concerned, I've personally seen two:

1. Automobile Atlanta's 5-Lug conversion kit. It basically gives you all the hardware you need. Problem is that they drill and tap standard 914 front rotors. Therefore if the rotor wears out, you will need to redrill and tap again. Also, this won't give you a brake upgrade. You would have to do this on your own.

2. Patrick Motorsports out of Phoenix sells complete 911 SC (or Carrera?) front ends (struts, brakes, cross members, a-arms, etc.) They also sell a rear kit which includes the 911 hubs/brakes etc. Only problem there is that you will lose your parking brake. If you are going to do it right, do it this way.

Good Luck!!
davep
Use a 911 front end, steering rack not needed. A 914/6 rear end is the correct way to do the back. Only special parts are the 914/6 stub axles and 914/6 rear rotors. Use old 911 rear hubs. Your own axles do fit the 914/6 stub axle. Your calipers should also fit. Then there are upgrades. Ask me if you need more info on upgrades. That is a big topic.

DaveP
ninefourteener
Hmmm... food for thought.

I'm going to research it, see what kind of $$$$ is involved with both options.

If I do end up getting the hubs re-drilled, can anyone recommend a good "stock" brake upgrade. Can I put "big" brakes on the stock rotors? Will it look stupid behind a set of 17s??

I don't race the car, hell, I barely turn it past 4000 rpm, so performance isn't nearly as much of a consideration as appearance...... the brakes will definately be visible through the wheels... I want something that looks nice... I'm thinking willow green calipers to match the car ohmy.gif)
SirAndy
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 12 2003, 08:22 AM)
If I do end up getting the hubs re-drilled, can anyone recommend a good "stock" brake upgrade.  Can I put "big" brakes on the stock rotors?  Will it look stupid behind a set of 17s??

bigger brake calipers on a stock rotor is NOT a good idea. (has been discussed here before).

why do you think you need a brake upgrade?
(no, really, i'm asking your opinion)
do the brakes feel spongy? you can't lock the tires, even if you try really hard? weak pedal?

if so, you might need a new master cylinder or simply flush and clean out your braking system. the stock braking system is enough for a stock car that is not raced, IF in good condition.

Andy
dsmeyer
Changing to 911 front struts makes the front track wider. Moving the front wheels out improves the looks and the handling.
SirAndy
get a complete 911 front end for a donor car (read: porsche dismantler).
buy a later style, like from a mid '80s carrera.
there are conversion kits for the rear hubs and stub-axels that give you "real" 5-lug in the back (not redrilled!) without you having to buy expensive, hard to find 914/6 parts. this allows for your stock calipers and parking brake. (i got mine from EASY) ...

Andy
JFJ914
For the fronts get some used Carrera struts w/ calipers and discs and some new balljoints. You don't need to change the rack, crossmember or A arms unless you want to.

At the rear ckeck Otto's, they were suppling a kit with all the parts needed. It included 2 used 911 hubs, 2 new reproduction 914/6 stub axles, 2 new bearings and 2 new 914/6 discs. It cost x$550 five years ago. You use the stock calipers and axles.
davep
agree.gif

That looks to be a very good route to go.

DaveP
ninefourteener
Yea....I'm thinking that last route sounds like the best option...as well as the most cost effective... definately looking into that... definately.

to answer questions....... no, my brakes are fine...My car underwent a complete ground up resto less than 10K ago... the brakes are perfect.

I'm going to go with a 17x6 wheel.... something racy looking, so the brakes will be very visible. Brake upgrade will be for appearance purposes only. I hate the Honda guys that put these gigantic wheels on top of these itty-bitty brakes and rotors...it looks cheap..... trying to avoid that.

Lastly..... If I go with 914-6 rotors...... is the lug pattern the same as the "typical" 5-lugs I see on the road? I want to have the same vast selection of wheels as everyone else with modern cars. Is this going to be a problem?? Is the lug pattern different on Porsche wheels??
JFJ914
Lastly..... If I go with 914-6 rotors...... is the lug pattern the same as the "typical" 5-lugs I see on the road? I want to have the same vast selection of wheels as everyone else with modern cars. Is this going to be a problem?? Is the lug pattern different on Porsche wheels??

Problem? YES!

All Porsche wheels are 5 x 130mm. With this conversion you are limited to Porsche application wheels only.

Mike Muller has made some custom hubs that can be drilled for almost anything, maybe he'll pop in.
AZ914
914/6 rotors are just rotors, not hubs. Regardless, all the 5-lug stuff from the pre-1990 911 will work. The lug pattern is 130mm x 5. Keep this in mind as today's common 5-lug setups are not 130mm x 5, they are usually 110, 115, etc. I believe only a few German manufacturers still currently use the 130x5 lug pattern. If you have your heart set on some 'ricey' rims, you may have to consider redrilling your hubs to fit those lug patterns.
ninefourteener
Wow..... that just really changed my whole perspective on this project... I'm glad I know though, about the lug-pattern thing.

I once saw a pic (before I ever owned a teener) of a 350 conversion out on California. It was silver/grey, 17 inch, 4-lug "rice" wheels, flex-dam front spoiler, stock fenders,etc.... I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT.

Don't ask me where it is now... but I do remember how cool the whole "modern vs. classic" look was on a teener.

Plus, the "rice" rims on normal lug patterns can be bought at such a good price, for a great wheel. Now.. a great set of 17s with tires can be bought for around $1000.

Still doesn't solve my "big wheel, tiny brake" problem though. Still thinking....... ohmy.gif)
Aaron Cox
im doing this exact thing this winter.

bought a 72 T front suspension (that year so i could use my /4 adj. koni inserts).

I plan on buyig the rear kit from GPR or is it cheaper eslewhere (bearings, /6 rotors, stubs)
914gem
If you run the 914 rear calipers with your conversion, I have spacers that go between the caliper halves so you can run vented rotors in the rear. Also have some 911 struts and 1970 rear hubs with extra metal for 5 lug conversions. I even have a 19mm master cylinder.
Andyrew
How about a current pic of the car??

Andrew

5 lug is good.. I like it a whole lot better.
redshift
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 12 2003, 12:22 PM)
I barely turn it past 4000 rpm

Your car hates you.

M
Andyrew
Heck I barely turn it past 4k because I aint got no power past that...

laugh.gif
redshift
It's hard to keep it above 4k, but I try.

I hate traffic, and redlights are a scourge to modern man.

By the way, they time all the lights here so you get trapped by every one, and at night.. if they are green, they change to red as you approach. Sometimes, you sit alone at redlights around here for 4-5 minutes..

mad.gif

I live in the dumbest place. Dumb asses.

M
Andyrew
I bet George (AA) bought the street lights so you would have to stop and wait so hopefully somehting would break on your car and you would have to go buy something from him..

idea.gif

Jk..

Andrew
ninefourteener
ohmy.gif)

I do OCCASIONALLY turn it past 4K RPM... Just not very often. The PO gave me reciepts to over $5500 rebuild costs just in the motor...... no nead to tear it up... I like it to run, every time I turn the key.. ohmy.gif)

But..... I have turned it to over 6k on more than one occasion.. it did quite well ohmy.gif)

As for the pics... I hesitate because although everyone on this site seems to appreciate a properly "riced out" teener...... I catch endless amounts of shit when I mention changing anything from stock.

Pics will be posted when the WHOLE project is complete.
Aaron Cox
It's Your car, do what you want......

I take my car past 4k alot... MDB2.gif
Eddie Williams
QUOTE(acox914 @ Nov 12 2003, 04:11 PM)
bought a 72 T front suspension (that year so i could use my /4 adj. koni inserts).)

Maybe a stupid question, but, can you use Koni for Boge insert, in a Koni strut? The reason I ask is I disassembled my Koni Struts and lo and behold inside were KYB inserts. Did KYB make a replacement for Koni struts, or did a DAPO go the cheap route?
Aaron Cox
i had lots of questions like that too.

I called jason at paragon products. he knows his stuff.

I used 914/4 koni inserts in my 914 boges until i put my 911 T front suspension on, then my /4 koni inserts will fit into the 911 boge struts.
redshift
QUOTE(ninefourteener @ Nov 16 2003, 05:38 AM)
ohmy.gif)

I do OCCASIONALLY turn it past 4K RPM... Just not very often. The PO gave me reciepts to over $5500 rebuild costs just in the motor...... no nead to tear it up... I like it to run, every time I turn the key.. ohmy.gif)

Hey, the CO of my 2.0 has receipts for $6,800.00 for the engine. 4000 doesn't kill T-4s, lugging around in 2 and 5 do.

Enjoy it more now, and you'll enjoy it longer.

M
seanery
I've spun mine more than the tach reads (a couple times) first time on accident, after that it was just putting the foot down too much. It spins really easy with this cam!
redshift
heh YiKes.

You mean you spun your rebuilt non-stock topend past the 5600 mark.. right?

smile.gif

M
seanery
no past where the tach reads. what's that 6k, 7k?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.