Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT...the red-neck pot roast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
Pull a semi freezer burnt roast out of the deep freeze....
be it moose, bison, lamb or even beef....
sear in oven at 425 with two-three chopped onions,pepper and salt until a bit of carmelization happens
Start the sauce with about half a cup of cheap red wine....you can use gud stuff but it is just sauce....
in a cast saucepan, boil the red until all alcohol is boiled out(do not skip this step)
ad one cube of chicken, beef, or vegtable bullion....
a few pinches of italian seasoning...a shake of chili...and pepper, i like lots
let it sit while you chop veggies
chop
whole garlic
three potatoes
one small beet
small rutabaga
three carrots
pull out the roast, dump the red sauce on the roast and onions....
put the rest of the veggies on top....
pop it all back in the oven....now set to 350
go back to working on the 914.... mueba.gif
come back in two hours....serve with a glass of red

So.Cal.914
Would this recipe work with road kill?
pete-stevers
i was kinda wondering that myself the other day....
a big old racoon was hit on the road....
i thought for sure i could make a raccon hat out of it....
but i am not sure how a racoon roast would taste....
slow cooked, it would be maybe not that bad....
bruce can you shed some light on this
GWN7
As I ate Bambi's mother tonight I can say that road kill can be used, but only if you kill it yourself............ as to the hat......here you have to have a trappers licence to posses any fur bearing animal. Any hide tanning place needs your trappers number before they will take the hide in. If you don't tan the hide the hair falls out of the skin and your left with a skin hat and they don't keep your head warm.
Dr Evil
Tan it yourself with vegitable tannens biggrin.gif

I may try this recipe, provided I can figure out the oven. I typically do not bake much, mainly a range/BBQ man.
sww914
Whatsarutabaga?
jimtab
Just one comment, never cook with booze you wouldn't drink...pour it out and move on....just my .02 Other than that the recipe sounds good...can't go wrong with roast beef "la dobe"...
pete-stevers
A rutabaga is a big turnip a little milder...less expensive than potatotes but has a lot of flavour....great addition to a mashed potatoe....
don't quote me but i think it is a cross between a savoy cabbage and a purple top turnip....
one day i will get a raccoon hat, by whatever device i can.....it is just a matter of time.....
Joe Ricard
anything Red neck must not use wine. Beer OK but Wine? No Freaking way.
See the Beer can Chicken? best part is you drink half the can of beer and then give the bird the rest. and open flame is the only acceptable method of cooking.
grantsfo
I'd suggest serving this with shots of Wild Turkey so you can numb your taste buds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.