Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regearing for a longer 5th gear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Dr Evil
I dont know any of this. So far my swapping has been a little more on the mild side with stock 2nd. I do have a 5 speed 912 tranny to tear down and photograph before figureing out what I want to do with it. It ought to prove educational for many. Then there is the sporto that I need ot pick up, and the 923, 915 and 930. Gonna be busy with the camera this holiday season biggrin.gif
lybones
Okay, where can I get one of these "taller" 5th gears for my v8 teener. My wife tells me to drive my Toyota Tundra instead of the 914 to "save" on gas.
bd1308
I really need to figure out how to get a sporto bug tranny into my 914.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 29 2006, 10:23 PM) *

I really need to figure out how to get a sporto bug tranny into my 914.

that was an autostick...

why not use a sportomatic from a 911?

but why????

4 gears vs 5... most likely less overdrive....
bd1308
sporto 911 = 901-ish tranny?
ChrisFoley
Installing an I gear on the mainshaft isn't really that difficult (for an experienced fabricator, lol). I did it for my race box last year.
1) grind the F gear down, don't let the shaft get hot.
2) turn the shaft to the correct dia for the new gear
3) I built up 4 splines onto the mainshaft so the gear welds would not take all the load.
4) carefully weld the gear in the correct position - don't let it get too hot!

Now I need a C or D first gear.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 30 2006, 09:15 AM) *

Installing an I gear on the mainshaft isn't really that difficult (for an experienced fabricator, lol). I did it for my race box last year.
3) I built up 4 splines onto the mainshaft so the gear welds would not take all the load.

Ya, simple for Chris the welding magician tongue.gif Some day I may have the set up to mess with such things, but not now.

For H gears I have heard that Otto's in Venice,CA can source them for you. Also you may try GPR (call them), or Raby may have one.
bondo
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 30 2006, 06:15 AM) *

What the heck did you use to turn it down? I tried machining one of these shafts with a carbide tool and it ate it. I assume this would be easier to do with an A mainshaft, since there's a lot less gear to take off. How hot is too hot?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bondo @ Nov 30 2006, 11:52 AM) *

What the heck did you use to turn it down? I tried machining one of these shafts with a carbide tool and it ate it. I assume this would be easier to do with an A mainshaft, since there's a lot less gear to take off. How hot is too hot?

The only part of the shaft that is real hard is the outer skin. That's typical of parts that need good wear properties combined with strength and toughness. After grinding off the gear teeth with a belt grinder the interior cuts pretty easy.
Too hot is when the metal starts to turn color. Anything beyond a light straw color is the end of whatever heat treat properties were done at the factory.
jwalters
Two questions please:

1: Would someone please give me the formula for figuring out final drive ratio vs. tire diameter.

2: Could someone post an exploded view of the 901 - one from a manual is fine, but actual pics would go even further.

Jonathan
Dr Evil
If you search the links in my sig you can find some good pics of the tranny. Also try the links in the thread, and onthe pelican site.
JPB
Doing the trany thing is cool but what about putting a real engine that redlines at 10K? happy11.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(JPB @ Nov 30 2006, 06:07 PM) *

Doing the trany thing is cool but what about putting a real engine that redlines at 10K? happy11.gif

High rpm engines are great for peak horsepower but generally suck at making torque.
smontanaro
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 30 2006, 04:27 PM) *

2: Could someone post an exploded view of the 901 - one from a manual is fine, but actual pics would go even further.

Part Pricer has lots of diagrams.

Skip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.