914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SGB
piratenanner.gif
I'm getting a tranny for christmas! chair.gif

chairfall.gif
no really, DR EVIL is rebuilding the ol' 901 for me, and I've been thinking
bootyshake.gif
with my brain that a longer 5th gear would be really nice.
driving.gif

With a speed limit of 70 (usually traveled by EVERYONE at 80), my car gets pretty buzzy after a while.

I know it can be done, and if I ever was going to do it....
A flipped 904 "I" 5th gear might work.... of course I've already been advised that cubic dollars are needed AND another mainshaft.
I'm just dreamin'... Somebody slap me with a reality stick. What else would be involved in this? Who has details? Or better, who has a 904 5th gear lying around needing a home?
Aaron Cox
with at type 4 bad idea...

what size tires?

ZD with short tires should keep you in the 3000 rpm range at 70...

bad idea
Aaron Cox
BTW - you flip a second gear from a 4 speed 901/902 to get a taller 5th

2nd in a 4 spd... is the same position as third in a 5 speed...
THUS the flipped 5th into 3rd for a short third (i love it)

what size tires? are you gonna make me post my chart again?

you wont cool well enough at high speeds without some rpm to turn the fan.....

SGB
They are 50 series tires. Is ZD what is in there now?
Aaron Cox
ya made me do it!

here is the chart i config'd for my motor/gears/tire size

grey shading is stock gears....
A F N V ZD

ill try and find the one with the flipped H,HA, and HB gears....
SGB
I've alway had fine cooling, and could compensate with bigger main jets in the webers.I wanna see that chart? Is it big and UGLY? WIll it shut me up?
SGB
AAAARGGHH!!!
SGB

but

its

kinda
COOL.
Aaron Cox
your head temps will go up with less RPM turning the COOLING fan smile.gif
Dr Evil
ZD is what is in there now. I do not see how smaller tires will cause lower RPMs, Aaron huh.gif If you put larger profile tires on your car you will lower your RPMs, not the other way around. Like a said before, you should be at 4000rpm at 89MPH in stock form. the 50 series tires should only bump the RPMs up a bit. Our engines are not like the water cooled type. Air flow is life, thus higher RPM under load at fast speeds = better cooling and less fatigue on your engine. This is why long hills on hot days are particularly bad for our cars (more so than many other scenarios). Lots of demand, hard to keep up RPMs AND speed. If you want to know what it will be like to drive with a taller fifth gear just go for a long drive up a steep hill biggrin.gif wink.gif

<:edited because Aaron posted the damn chart first rolleyes.gif :>
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 28 2006, 06:27 PM) *

ZD is what is in there now. I do not see how smaller tires will cause lower RPMs, Aaron huh.gif If you put larger profile tires on your car you will lower your RPMs, not the other way around. Like a said before, you should be at 4000rpm at 89MPH in stock form. the 50 series tires should only bump the RPMs up a bit. Our engines are not like the water cooled type. Air flow is life, thus higher RPM under load at fast speeds = better cooling and less fatigue on your engine. This is why long hills on hot days are particularly bad for our cars (more so than many other scenarios). Lots of demand, hard to keep up RPMs AND speed. If you want to know what it will be like to drive with a taller fifth gear just go for a long drive up a steep hill biggrin.gif wink.gif

Here is Aarons chart for those of you watching at home and wandering where we pull these numbers from biggrin.gif

taller gear = less rpm.
less rpm = less cooling.
shorter tire = MORE rpm

i dont think i said that mike....
SGB
I'm trying to grasp this with my little tuna-like brain and I gotta ask- the colored bands- yellow is 50 series? At 5K? OK, the flipped 904 2nd gives a 0.61 in place of 0.71 for the ZD. That doesn't seem too drastic...
(I'm a stubborn ol' fishhead)
Dr Evil
Now now Aaron, dont get testy wink.gif I reread your post and relized what you were saying with the 3K at 70mph and 50 series tires.
Aaron Cox
click the picture... it gets bigger...

if you look at the top.. you can see it is setup for a 23.59" tire.... (225/50/15)
and a 205 50 is slightly smaller 23.0" so the rpms will be SLIGHTLY more than what is pictured....

SGB
Of course I realize you know what you are talking about (both of ya). It is just a pipe dream smile.gif

The 50 tires cretainly seemed to make a profund impact on the admitidly already innacurate speedo readings-
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SGB @ Nov 28 2006, 06:45 PM) *

Of course I realize you know what you are talking about (both of ya). It is just a pipe dream smile.gif

The 50 tires cretainly seemed to make a profund impact on the admitidly already innacurate speedo readings-

9% shorter than stock....

the MPH's on the chart are ACTUAL speed... not indicated

your speeds will be 1-2% lower than the chart.. (same as saying your RPM's will be a few% higher at the same speed)
jwalters
Can first gear be flipped for a new fifth??

ph34r.gif
Aaron Cox
no bozo smile.gif

you have a few choices for first gears
A
AA
B
C
D

A is stock on most 911's and all 914's
AA harder to find... a few hundred bucks...
B/C/D hens teeth. good luck with that.
Dr Evil
Nope. I was wondering the same thing once, but you would have to machine it and I do not think that there would be enough meat.
jwalters
I clicked the picture - it got smaller.

Couldn't read it anymore.

Even with my coke bottle glasses and nose plastered on the screen.

I really gotta learn 'puters.

So, how again do you get a taller fifth? You guys lost me -
Dr Evil
Change the gears.
Aaron Cox
taller 5th....

the ratio of a gear is X:Y. you want something 'overdive' under 1:1 ratio... (less tan 1.00)

so if yo take a an H gear...
19:32...

and you flip the ratio (32:19) what is your outcome? way lower than a 1:1 ratio
jwalters
What would you think the overall spacing would be (assuming a stock geared tranny) by using a 26" dia. tire.

Kinda like the 2005 caddie down the street from me with 23's on it and 30 series....

That thing has more ground clearance than a hummer........ unsure.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 28 2006, 10:21 PM) *

taller 5th....

the ratio of a gear is X:Y. you want something 'overdive' under 1:1 ratio... (less tan 1.00)

so if yo take a an H gear...
19:32...

and you flip the ratio (32:19) what is your outcome? way lower than a 1:1 ratio

Stock tranny has an "H" gear?? - or is that the one everybody covets??
Dr Evil
H gear from a 912 tranny
Aaron Cox
read the posts...

GREY outline is stock 914 gears....

mike... stop selling our sources out! LOL
jwalters
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 28 2006, 10:22 PM) *

What would you think the overall spacing would be (assuming a stock geared tranny) by using a 26" dia. tire.

Kinda like the 2005 caddie down the street from me with 23's on it and 30 series....

That thing has more ground clearance than a hummer........ unsure.gif

Oh, the reason I ask this is beacuse the suspension could be lowered enough in the rear to not have ass high look -

Also, back in my days street rods and sports car addicts had the need to put on larger diameter rears and keep small diameter fronts ( like the 70's - 80's LOLA'S) This actually looks really, really good onclassic sports cars!!

Think about it: matching rims with 15's on front and 21 -22's on the back and a level chassis - looks really cool and would help some with overall ratio I know - just by how much I do not---
jwalters
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 28 2006, 10:23 PM) *

H gear from a 912 tranny

Does it matter which year tranny???
jwalters
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 28 2006, 10:26 PM) *

GREY outline is stock 914 gears....

OHHHHHHHHH! ohmy.gif
jwalters
unsure.gif
914fan
Has someone mentioned or can it be done?

Flip "K or J" gear for a .7 or .677 in fifth. only slightly less rpm.

Less rpm = less cooling. However the cars were designed for a 55mph speed limit. In 4th thats a little over 3k and 5th is 2.5k. 80 is almost 5K in 4th and 4K in 5th. I would like 2-3 hundred rpm less at 80 if it were resonably possible. If you were running a larger, stronger, more efficient motor, that should not be a problem. If you built something with "nikies" and modern FI it could probably be just fine with even lower rpms.

Just my 2 cents
Aaron Cox
you can only flip 3rds to 5th's.... and 5ths to thirds....

or if you have a 904 mainshafts.. 2nd's to 4ths' and 4ths to seconds...

now you have to find the gears....
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914fan @ Nov 29 2006, 12:21 AM) *

Has someone mentioned or can it be done?

Flip "K or J" gear for a .7 or .677 in fifth. only slightly less rpm.

Less rpm = less cooling. However the cars were designed for a 55mph speed limit. In 4th thats a little over 3k and 5th is 2.5k. 80 is almost 5K in 4th and 4K in 5th. I would like 2-3 hundred rpm less at 80 if it were resonably possible. If you were running a larger, stronger, more efficient motor, that should not be a problem. If you built something with "nikies" and modern FI it could probably be just fine with even lower rpms.

Just my 2 cents

K and J are second gears and would only be possible if you could find them and a 904 shaft to use them with ($$$$).

Your car works harder at higher speeds (thats why it takes more gas usually) so you will make more heat. If you want to put nikies on and do enhancements then you change the whole conversation.
bernbomb914
could you build a trans with this ratio
C
I
R
Y
HD

I have all but the I ratio's in my booty and would like to build this to go with my 78x104 engine.
Bernie
SGB
popcorn[1].gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Nov 28 2006, 11:11 PM) *

could you build a trans with this ratio
C
I
R
Y
HD

I have all but the I ratio's in my booty and would like to build this to go with my 78x104 engine.
Bernie

you would need a 904 splined mainshaft to put an I on there.... (or you would have to cut old gear off and weld on a new one...ask brant)
bernbomb914
what is close to I that would fit or what would you recomend in place of I
Bernie
bondo
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Nov 29 2006, 11:23 AM) *

what is close to I that would fit or what would you recomend in place of I
Bernie

The F is part of your mainshaft. You can't change it using any traditional means. Either learn to love the F or find an I mainshaft. (good luck)
bondo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 28 2006, 09:31 PM) *

K and J are second gears and would only be possible if you could find them and a 904 shaft to use them with ($$$$).

H is a second gear too. You would only need a K or J made for a 902. I have no idea if such a thing exists though.
Dr Evil
Ya, but he was just asking about swapping in a K or a J and those require the same thing as an H (as stated, 904 shaft). It looks as if I need to get a picture laden thread about what a swap is and why it can be a bitch started some time in the near future. idea.gif Its not like I dont have a bunch of parts biggrin.gif

Scott, your stack is on my front stoop. I'll gat a look at it as soon as possibel so we can start spending your money on replacement parts wink.gif
bondo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2006, 12:40 PM) *

Ya, but he was just asking about swapping in a K or a J and those require the same thing as an H (as stated, 904 shaft).

He's talking about flipping it and using it as 5th. You don't need a 904 shaft for that.
Dr Evil
Ah ya, maybe I need pics. I get it now, Royce. Its hard to halfass tranny talk of this nature. Next I'll be telling you that you need to perform a sphincterotomy and an endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography if you want to get a taller 5th gear and remove the gall stone obstruction rolleyes.gif

I kind of like spelling poorly, it makes people nervous regarding my medical abilities biggrin.gif happy11.gif
bernbomb914
Is the main shaft in a 4 speed sportomatic the same as a 904? or could it be used in a 901? someone out there knows

Bernie
bondo
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2006, 01:17 PM) *

I kind of like spelling poorly, it makes people nervous regarding my medical abilities biggrin.gif happy11.gif

Have you mastered the "doctor's scribble" yet? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Nov 29 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Is the main shaft in a 4 speed sportomatic the same as a 904? or could it be used in a 901? someone out there knows

Bernie

Bernie,
Some day soon I may have an answer for you idea.gif, but not at the moment.

Royce, I always wrote that way biggrin.gif
bd1308
lol doctor scribble. My dad is a MD (oral surgeon) and I cant read ANYTHING he writes, even shopping lists.

I feel sorry for the pharmacist blink.gif
SGB
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2006, 02:40 PM) *

Scott, your stack is on my front stoop. I'll gat a look at it as soon as possibel so we can start spending your money on replacement parts wink.gif

LOL chairfall.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Nov 29 2006, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Nov 29 2006, 04:27 PM) *

Bernie

Bernie,
Some day soon I may have an answer for you idea.gif, but not at the moment.

Royce, I always wrote that way biggrin.gif

To catch the line drive that went through my other fielders royce and mike...

a sporto 4 speed had a removable second gear... because that is the position of a third in a 5 speed....

a 904 mainshaft hs NO GEAR on it... where your stock F or GA (/6) mainshafts have a big gear on em...

a 904 is SPLINED to accept a removable second gear.
bondo
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2006, 04:24 PM) *

a 904 is SPLINED to accept a removable second gear.

And from what I understand, those splines are different than the rest of the splines, requiring special gearsets made for that position.
Aaron Cox
didnt know that....

time to call otto smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.