Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast have you gone??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Joe Bob
Me and Malmz.....across the desert to Arizona.....we was going faster but we forgot to take some pics.....we was in fourth gear and still had a shitpot more to go......about and hour later the alternator took a shit. Notice how nicely all the needles are in sync...... pray.gif
Front straight at Willow Springs.....142ish......
Joe Bob
Then we ended up driving THIS piece of shit while waiting on an alternator....Steve now ownes it along with matching belt and shoes....
LvSteveH
165 mph in a 97 Z28 six speed that was massaged to 380hp, on a two lane road. I passed a cop coming the other direction. It was at night and my adrenaline got the best of me, as I saw the car coming, I went to dim my brights, and it turns out they weren’t on in the first place. I inadvertently flashed the cop at 160. I’m sure you can imagine he was just a tad upset. To make a very long story short, I got off on a technicality. It turns out he never got a positive ID on the car because he was blinded by the brights. In any event, I was so traumatized that I sold the car shortly thereafter when I found out that my auto insurance would have gone up to $400 a month had I gotten the ticket, which almost certainly would have included reckless driving.

driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ Nov 13 2003, 02:11 PM)
kompressor = supercharger?

yepp ...

http://dict.leo.org/
SirAndy
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 13 2003, 01:19 PM)
Watch out what you say here, next thing you know, 15 people are looking for a blown 1.5l 12 cyl. conversion guide.

i'm sure brad wouldn't mind building a few.
just weld two six-cylinders together ...

Andy
redshift
mad.gif 3 Fours

M
fiid
By the way - if Nemo posts on here we are all toast.

Fiid.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 14 2003, 05:35 PM)
By the way - if Nemo posts on here we are all toast.

Fiid.

not all of us!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 14 2003, 04:32 PM)
not all of us!

got some SR-71 time, have you? :-) ...
redshift
Hey, that's kinda fast! My childhood dream was to be a Thud pilot.

I love to fly.

M
TheCabinetmaker
ArtechnikA, no blackbird, not that fast, but redshift is right on the money with the thud. Thunderchief that is. As in F105. Also known as the Thunderthud. Lost a lot of my pilots in 69. Glad I was only a crew chief.

We need a GI smiley!!!!!!!
redshift
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 14 2003, 09:30 PM)
ArtechnikA, no blackbird, not that fast, but redshift is right on the money with the thud. Thunderchief that is. As in F105. Also known as the Thunderthud. Lost a lot of my pilots in 69. Glad I was only a crew chief.

We need a GI smiley!!!!!!!

Those guys have moon sized balls.

Salute to the guys out there who leave a wake in the dirt when they go by.

(S)

I have some buddies you'd go right along with.. WWII/Korea/VN.. P-38s, 47s, 51s, F-80s, 4s, 105s.. one is an individualist F-4 crew chief who has done everything I ever dreamed of, twice.

M
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 14 2003, 05:30 PM)
...right on the money with the thud. Thunderchief that is. As in F105. Also known as the Thunderthud. ...

i know the type. the famous "triple-threat" airplane.

1) it can strafe you
2) it can bomb you
3) it can fall on you

i've got about 30 minutes in a USN F-14 Operational Flight Trainer at Miramar (where 'Top Gun' used to be...) and about 200 hrs of B-52 Aerial Refueling Simulator time from Castle AFB in Merced.

i don't think a B-52 can fall as fast as a '105 can climb ...
redshift
I dunno, you see Lt. Col. Holland's fanatastic mismanagement of energy at Fairchild AFB?

-blink-

M
ppickerell
100 plus on a 2 wheeled rice rocket. Had the front wheel go into this high frequency wobble and for a moment saw Allah. Was a significant rush. So glad to be alive and not a motorcycle rider anymore!
redshift
If you ever see Allah again, kick him in the nads.

Thanks,

Miles
mharrison
Two Wheels(89 CBR 1000).....160MPH....hashes turned into a solid white line and the shaking smoothed out at about 135. I'm not sure the tires were touching the ground anymore.

Four Wheels(88 911 SC).....150 MPH

Rice Burner(87 Mazda RX-7).....139 MPH when I outran the radar in the squad car that was waaaaaay behind me. Found me about an hour later and was pisssssed.Was a decent cop though and didn't say he got the tag number (which would have been impossible.) I walked and learned that indeed there are some good cops. (Not common knowledge for a 19 year old.) According to what he said if I get a ticket from him tommorow (13 years later) he's taking me to jail!
skline
QUOTE(David_S @ Nov 13 2003, 10:09 AM)
skline .....who in Amarillo did you get the car from ?? Amarillo is only about an hour away from me !!! wavey.gif

I bought the car in Plano and drove to my fathers house just north of Amarillo. He lives in Borger. I stopped and stayed a few days to visit with him and then headed home from there. It was a great drive.
dbelleperc
120 MPH in the teener
hit the limiter in the Cooper that would be 137 still plenty to go.
180 996 Turbo that was fast, and had brakes that would smack your head in the dash ohmy.gif
And the fastest 1500 MPH
that would be in a F/A-18D Hornet.

Sorry no pictures. confused24.gif
Drums66
Took the 914 to 120...it wanted to go hiiiiiiigher, but I backed off! that was in a Bigbore 1.8 with 2.0 liter heads and Ljet FI......sorry no picture, it was lost in a time warp! laugh.gif
jnp914
I got a certificate from the Richard Petty Driving Experience at Las Vegas Motor Speedway that says my fastest lap was 135.79.

I knew that Schrader M & M paint job was the slowest.
seanery
Jerry,

I've been a passenger with them at Fontana and was gonna do Indy this year, but got rained out.
How was the driving? Which package did you do?
I'm thinking about upgrading my ride along to either the 8 lap or another package (at Indy).
jnp914
I took the basic, which is something like 8 laps. Except they count both the out lap and in lap, so you only really get 6 at speed.

The cars are easy to drive, once you get past the part as you leave pit lane and discover 1. Unlike real NASCAR Winston Cup level cars they do not have power steering and 2: they are set up to turn left, and they do it immediately.

I would much rather take the laps at a mile and a half or longer track. A friend asked me to come out and watch him at Gateway, which is only a mile and a quarter, and has a smaller radius 1-2 than 3-4. You have to back off for 1, and if you are following your 'instructor' too closely you have to brake and lose momentum. Not all that great an experience, he said.

At Vegas, no need to slow or brake. I screwed up and wasted too much time just driving before I closed up on the instructor's tail until he motioned to back off. Once you show you can stay in relative position, he starts increasing the speed. And I really had no idea how fast I was going, it could have been 120 or 150, because I had no real point of reference.

I would like to do it again, only for the next higher number of laps. I won't be happy until I am upwards of 150 in one of those.

Oh yeah, a couple of weeks after my session there was the Winston West finale at LVMS. I would have qualified, and not in the last row!
VegasRacer
A few years ago I worked as an instructor for CART 101 here in Vegas. Same deal as the Petty school, just open wheel cars. I recommend that if you are going to drive, do one of the upgraded packages so that you get 2 sessions in the car. The first one to figure things out and build some confidence. The second one to go fast and have fun.
jnp914
Yeah, what he said.
elmonte
1,336 MPH
cnavarro
145 2002 Corvette
128 2002 VW Beetle 1.8T (hit the limiter)
125 1972 VW Fastback (I was the passenger and a scared one at that)

Sorry, no pics especially from the fastback, the photographer got too scared :-)

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance
Eric_Shea
150mph in this a couple weeks ago... photo shoot was done for an article in the local Porsche club magazine "Zeitung". Any "Intermountain" region members should have it by now.

My 71 911T would get to 130mph stock.
My 70 914-6 also got to 130mph in stock trim.
My (old) 89 SHO did 145mph.

I'm hoping to top the 150mph mark with the new 3.0 MFI engine in the 911 (RS clone now)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.