Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How fast have you gone??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Bleyseng
Here is a pic of how fast I went on the Autobahn in Germany. As fast as I could go in the car I had borrowed.
I wish Jeroen had come thru with his 911 for the trip south.

Geoff
redshift
Oh my God! You are going to jail when they see that!

rolleyes.gif

Rock!

M
Joe Ricard
142 and it was in my 928 over 10 years ago. Early sunday morning running with my buddies 5.0 Mercury Capri. He could whip me on the take off. When he was running out of steam I was building up a full head.
ArtechnikA
150 km/h ? i went that fast on my way to work yesterday, no autobahn required ...
what were you in, a 1100cc Passat ?
rhodyguy
93.75 mph. big deal lol2.gif . i've done better than that on I-90 in the jetta.

kevin
Rusty
LIGHT SPEED!!!
TheCabinetmaker
Can't prove it, but drove a 78 911 SC between Phoenix and Yuma Az. at 157. We were traveling with another SC and a big V8 Tbird. The bird really surprised us. We passed a state trooper and he didn't even bother. We may not have been doing a true 157, but that's what the speedo said.
Bleyseng
Yeah, it was a pos Opel 1.8 with a jillion km on it but it was a car!
I was being passed right and left on the autobahn by the BMW's and even VW's! laugh.gif

I wish I had atleast was driving my 914 as that will cruise a 100mph all day without trouble.

Still the pic looked good until you see its in kph.

Geoff givemebeer.gif
Queenie
I don't think I've had the 914 any higher than about 90, but I did take the 911 up into the 110-120 range a few times.
eitnurg
In a 911, 170mph for prolonged periods heading north from Stuttgart.
In the 914, off the clock - which is 150, but prob actually 135 - 140.
No pix, sorry, but my passenger will confirm the state of his underwear...........
r_towle
Cool,
IIRC, all the Germany produced cars have a limiter of 250Kph
as a top end.
When I lived there I drove alot of BMW's, Mercedes, and Audi's and it is true, top is 250k.

Once you get used to it, it is normal to drive 100 Mph in the right lane, seems slow after a few months.
My wife drove 100 Mph in the right lane with the Eurovan all the time. If you go any slower, you are creating a problem on a two lane road and it is actually more scary to have cars drive by on your right at 250++ and move your car over from the wind........
Best I did was Zurich to Munich, 1.5 hours me in a BMW 528, a Porsche and a 328 Beemer....white knuckle driving for that long though.....but what a rush....
This is why I got into racing porsches, its the only way to legally do what we could do in Germany.....

Rich
skline
Ok, This was coming across the desert in New Mexico and I actually slowed down to take the picture. I was folloing a new Jag and we cruised around 140 for about an hour. Open freeway, radar detector on the dash and no traffic. It was nice. I had just bought the car and was driving it home from Amarillo Texas to Costa Mesa. I left Amarillo at about 6:30 AM and pulled into my driveway in Costa Mesa at 8:15 PM the same day. Average speed was 109 by the computer. What a ride.
eresener
I think this counts...in my 30+ years in the film/video business I have shot from every platform there is...most memorable...slow...shooting the Indy 500 from the Goodyear Blimp....the fastest...in a car (not shooting) was in 1987 in an AMG 500HP "Hammer" in Germany...we cruised the Autobahn at 180 ... I was there shooting a film at the AMG design studio...will never forget it....the very fastest was in the backseat of an F4 over Hanoi...filming the bombing missions....wasn't paying too much attention to the speed then...much pucker power going on at that time.
Ed
JmuRiz
I wish I had had a place to go faster than roads around here.

I did do a flyby on the way home from the NoVA/MD/NC get-together in Richmond on 9/14 though. Had the top off and got a good run and passed the group at 105...it was a hoot I tell ya.

Done 120+ in my daily driver and 105 on my bike once (scary).

I need to hit the track to hit speeds in a safer environment though.
PatW
155 indicated on my motorcycle. Pegged the indicator on my 70 Camaro many years ago.
Little over 100 in my 914. No pictures, too busy.. laugh.gif burnout.gif
redshift
I go 100 every day, I go 120 every week, I go 130 when I can get there, maybe once a month.

Fastest in a teener: 138 indicated wink.gif

I have been over 150 a buncha times, depending on what you are in, it feels like 85mph, or 10,000mph.

M
Ferg
104 in this car, no pic but you can ask the nice nevada patrol man that let me go with a warning. He was in a z28 and I think he was "Hoping" I would run. I had my camera and thought about asking to take a pic, but though again.

144 with my dad in a c4 vette. Funny the stupid digital dash starts to flash at anything over 120. Like you need a distraction at those speeds ar15.gif GM

Ferg.
biosurfer1
sundays nights after i get off work and drive back to sacramento, i've gotten to 120 in the 914, unfortunetly, with highway patrol around even late at night, it isnt for very long, just to see if it could...it actually seems like the 914 runs better at those speeds, just proof they are made for speed laugh.gif
72914S
Back in 1977 my first 914(`72 1.7 stock) got a ticket for doing 101 mph in a 50 zone but I was slowing down to take a corner. The 101 was as high as the radar would go or so the officer told me.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 13 2003, 05:19 AM)
Here is a pic of how fast I went on the Autobahn in Germany. As fast as I could go in the car I had borrowed.
I wish Jeroen had come thru with his 911 for the trip south.

150? HAHA, dude, my old beetle did 160 km/h no problem.

what car did you have? what were you doing in the left lane doing 150?
slow cars are supposed to stay in the right lanes! laugh.gif

Andy
David_S
skline .....who in Amarillo did you get the car from ?? Amarillo is only about an hour away from me !!! wavey.gif
aufaber
WEll.. I've done 160 indicated on a motorcyle.. and around 160 in my old Supra. Hmm.. Wonder if I have pictures..

-Aaron G.
need4speed
Sorry, no pic.

Two years ago, the Ghia you see at the left, in my Avatar, back when I had my 912 motor;
Death Valley (coming south towards Furnace Creek from Wild Rose), top down, with a passenger, loaded with about 200lbs of camping equipment in the back seat, I got her up to 110. And that's about how hot it was out too. (118 at Badwater Basin, the low-spot). Funny thing is - I knew she had more in her, but I didn't push any faster because I have heard folklore, which I believe may be true, that Ghias go airborne at 120 due to the shape of the nose. I didn't notice any instability or anything. It was as smooth at 110 as it was at 70. I've got 19mm sway bars front and rear, and I was on those 5.5 inch Fuchs replica wheels. If I was about to go airborne, I couldn't tell. But I'm not about to go putting ground effects and a spoiler on that car to take it any faster. That's why I want a 914.
nebreitling
in the teener? 115 indicated

we used to street race on closed (construction) freeways when i was a (stupid) teenager. 150-60 in z28's, mustang cobras, etc.
soloracer
On a straight stretch of highway I managed to get an indicated 262 km/h out of my 89 944 Turbo. It was still pulling very slowly but I had to back out because of a turn coming up.
si2t3m
Last summer, coming back from a karting session with the PCA guy's i did a little spring with a tweeked 3.2 9eleben... A wee bit over 240km/h with my 914 with the top off. Was getting a little windy in there!!!

Marc-André
smrz914
IPB Image

I couldn't resest putting this up. I didn't actually go this fast, which is a good thing, bud someone did.
RustyWa
In my '86 Acura quite a few years ago....all I can say is, DUMB SHIT!

Nice death grip, eh?
redshift
We need a cop smile... and a judge.. and a "'room' mate"

ohmy.gif

M
madd_dogg_914
137 in my 1998 Lexus GS400 (STUPID Speed cap) Car has plenty of pull still at that speed, and glides along like the wind (just don't turn)!

-Chris
madd_dogg_914
Also 131 in the teeener (indicated) I had low profile tires at the time, on 15 in rims. Prolly was only just a bit over 100mph. Tons of fun though!

-Chris
Tony
Hi

I did 125 mph in my 1967 Buick Rivera with the AC on, when I was in high school. It still had more, but I ran out of road. The Buick was floating on the suspension and who knows if the speedo was right.
I got the car from a V.P. at Buick.
SirAndy
Posche Trivia:

1) the first mid-engine porsche was designed by ferdinand porsche in the early 30s for the "Auto Union". the new "Hochleistungs-Fahrzeugbau GmbH" company was exclusively founded to develop this grand prix race car. the internal project name was simply "P".
the car was equipped with a V16, 4.36L engine. a Roots-Kompressor was added bringing the max. output to 295HP at 4500 rpm.
(pictured in "Das Grosse VW-Porsche Buch", page 12, middle/right and page 13, top)

2) the second mid-engine porsche was built by ferry porsche in the late 40s, using the original "P" design as a template. the car was ordered by the italian Piero Dusio and was called the "Cisitalia". it featured a 12 Cylinder Boxermotor with just 1.5L displacement. fitted with a kompressor, the engine produced a staggering 450HP at 10500 rpm and featured 4 overhead camshafts and dual weber carburetors.
(pictured in "Das Grosse VW-Porsche Buch", page 12, top/left)

ok, you're right, i'm bored. smile.gif just reading THE book and felt like sharing ...
Andy
redshift
Watch out what you say here, next thing you know, 15 people are looking for a blown 1.5l 12 cyl. conversion guide.

wink.gif

Part numbers?

M
Aaron Cox
kompressor = supercharger?

105 indicated in teener w/ 165 tires ohmy.gif
scottb
No pic's but in college a buddy of mine had a 1952 Ford Crown Victoria sedan with a hopped up original flat head. Following several rounds of liquid courage, we buried the speedo (120 max). Good guess might be 130 or so. How that thing didn't fly off the road I don't know. It floated like a boat. But man, what a ride!!!
Curvie Roadlover
I've gone faster (140 on the straight at Road Atlanta in a BMW M3 is fastest ever) but this is my only speedo pic on record. This was on my first day driving my teener back to MI from CA. last year (on 165/60/15 bald tires)
Curvie Roadlover
Hey, mine's the only 914 speedo pic (so far) smilie_pokal.gif smilie_flagge24.gif
Jenny
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Nov 13 2003, 01:16 PM)
Nice death grip, eh?

Don't call it a death grip. Just tell people you were holding the car together. I'm sure it was rattling like all hell. laugh.gif
914werke
On Four wheels or Two?
170MPH on my GSXR Superbike at Spokane Raceway Park (Spokane WA).
It has a Mile long straight so you got that fast -slow-fast sensation before hauling it down and pitching it R. L
Teeners are fun but sport bikes....ROCK! pray.gif
Andyrew
Ive driven? Hmm probably about 100 in dads 951 on a street when we where off at a track day.. he was testing it, and I went one gear more than he wanted.. He just wanted first and second, but I hit third.. couldnt hear him.. it was only 2 seconds more..

My car? umm 65 probably.. havent driven on the free way..

Im a slow poke.. laugh.gif

Andrew
fiid
I got 100 indicated in the 914 on the way to one of Bowlsby's brekfasts.

I've gotten 120 indicated in the Subaru on the way to work in the past.

I'm not posting any more details on here lest it become written evidence.

Fiid.
ArtechnikA
140-ish in the 914.6 at its last track event, Riverside's l-o-n-g (1+ mi) CanAm backstraight from Turn 8.
just had a moment for a glance at the speedo and tach 'cause the Turn 9 boilerplate come up quick at those speeds and i just had time to get my heart started after drifting through the kink ...
madd_dogg_914
Here is a pic in my Lexus going pretty fast on a city street. Oh and I promise it is not Photo shopped wink.gif
-Chris
vortrex
152 mph in a '95 993 down highway 1 near half moon bay, in the dark..
Bleyseng
Andy, it was in a borrowed Opal 1.8 four door. Yep, I was in the left lane just after passing a slow truck that I took the pic flat out! POS car but it was free to use for 2 weeks while we were in Holland.

On a bike I did about 130 mph across the I-90 bridge
In the 914 I did 120 indictated across the I-90 bridge
In my brothers souped up 240Z car a 135mph
I havent taken out the Madza RX7 Turbo car yet....soon when Blair isn't lookin....

Geoff
nyum96
135=Beetle (Chipped)
156= BMW 745iL (Chipped)

Never again though. Those who have actually been over 150 know what I'm talking about when I say that the "dotted lines" on the road turn into a solid.

In the BMW, I couldnt take a picture because of saftey reasons, Too fast! Almost wiped out, stupid suburban in the fast line at a speed lower than 65MPH. Pulled out in front.

Those who know the Georgia Autobaun (HWY 400) thats where. Great straights.

Never over 100 now.

BB
p914
No Pics, 160mph in a 73 911S on a Mississippi backroad in 74. I flattened a kitty in the road unfortunately. It was dusk.
VegasRacer
fast
p914
^ http://nonstick.com/sounds/Wile_E_Coyote/ltwc_004.wav

mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif WOW mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif stones.gif stones.gif stones.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif chowtime.gif cat.gif cat.gif cat.gif RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!,
WOOO WOOO zorro.gif zorro.gif zorro.gif HUMIINMUMINAAAAAAAHHHH tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif tunez.gif :dhead: :dhead: :dhead: DOHHHOING!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.