Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 emergency
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
nycchef
pete lost a wheel towing his 914 off rte 3 in clifton n.j. any n.j guys near by? call me @ 917 685 7984 if any one can help>
nycchef
icon_bump.gif

sorry i know thats a no-no
d914
good place to loose a wheel, no shoulder and only 2-3 million cars going by a day!!!!
Brad Roberts
914 owner in need ??

Bump it all you want.. the no no is when it is worthless drivel that is getting bumped.

I only know one person in NJ.. She doesnt have any parts or tools.

B
JoeSharp
Whats a no-no????
Allan
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Dec 1 2006, 04:50 PM) *

Whats a no-no????

The opposite of an on-on?
icon_bump.gif
Brad Roberts
Can you tell us what he needs? does he need a jack? does he need another wheel/tire??

B
914nerd
I think that the club in general can probably keep it pretty close to the top with comments such as this one
I think that we all have each other's backs when it comes to situations like this
biggrin.gif
There's gotta be somebody out there in NJ
Good luck finding some help

and, of course, a icon_bump.gif to keep this thread from sinking at all
jwalters
Didn't we compile a list of emergency help across the nation?? Surely there is someone close by I would hope.........

Real sorry to hear about this. Same thing happened to me when I was towing my parts car to my house. The DAPO neglected to tighten the lugs - and it is partly my fault too. I should have checked the darn things!
nycchef
he needs a wheel and 4 lugs. was towing rmitals part car up to buffalo and i guess the rear wheel wasn't tightened down. mine is in storage about 40 miles from where he is. huge storm blowing in now. looks like i win. keep the jokes coming i'll need them when i get back
gregrobbins
Only one person from NJ signed up for the list: sad.gif

Aaron Courain, in Nutley, New Jersey
Northern NJ. Garage full of tools,.. some parts, and a pickup
201-618-4670

Anyone who owns a 914 should be on the list. You don't need to be a expert mechanic, just someone willing to help.
jwalters
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 1 2006, 08:08 PM) *

in Nutley, New Jersey

Is this anywhere near DryProng ???? happy11.gif
Howard
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 1 2006, 05:08 PM) *

201-618-4670

Anyone who owns a 914 should be on the list. You don't need to be a expert mechanic, just someone willing to help.

Beat me to it Greg. Just sent him an email from the member map site.

ptravnic
It's me, ptravnic. I've decided to eat a steak and hope the 914 gods can come through w/a spare tire/wheel, lugnuts & a jack would be nice. I could borrow a lug from rhe other 3 wheels & go with 3 per wheel. Just need to get it to Buffalo... Leo might have a line on a wheel. Otherwise chef can loan me a wheel.

On a brighter note, I finally left my job today & got lucky w/3 months severence...not bad considering I was prepared to quit outright (going back to get my mba...) Woo Hoo, except for this wheel nonsense...
nycchef
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Dec 1 2006, 05:08 PM) *

201-618-4670

thanks was trying to find aaron. leo imperial is nearby and may be able to fix this. did not know about the emergency list. gonna sign up right now.
Howard
Good luck. But remember, friends don't let friends go to Jersey. Use a bridge/tunnel and take your chances. happy11.gif
Leo Imperial
Howard with words of wisdom. Spoken like a true New Yorker. That's why I am moving back to New York in 2 weeks biggrin.gif

I'm on my way to assist. Got stuck in the rain at work. Don't laugh when I show up in boxers. Be there in 30 - 40 min.
turboman808
Sounds like you got it all under control. If you guys need me give me a call. 646-226-2429. I'm close by.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Dec 1 2006, 05:28 PM) *
I'm on my way to assist. . . . . . . . . Be there in 30 - 40 min.

Good Man Leo. beerchug.gif
nycchef
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Dec 1 2006, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Dec 1 2006, 05:28 PM) *
I'm on my way to assist. . . . . . . . . Be there in 30 - 40 min.

Good Man Leo. beerchug.gif
looks like leo got it done with an major assist from aaron (iloveporshes). gotta love this non-club drunk.gif
type11969
Glad everything worked out, hope there wasn't any (or much) damage done to the car!

-Chris
gregrobbins
smilie_pokal.gif Leo
i love porsche
alright..just got home from work its 230 am, but what a night,

i now have a 914 sitting in my garage with 3 wheels, and the 4th is on petes car, let us know that you got home safe pete

thankfully my dad could take off the wheel with the 914 still in the garage, and leo was able to pick it up and bring it to pete, all while i was at work

what a great club this is =]
ptravnic
half way home... 2:30am & I've made it to Binghamton... Should roll into Buffalo at sunrise.

Ended up w/problems w/the front toe in & resorted to locking the steering wheel... the wheels were all over the place w/the wheel unlocked. The front tires will be worthless by the end of the trip but that's the sacrifice...

You guys are saints. Words don't do it justice
dtravni
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 1 2006, 11:31 PM) *

half way home... 2:30am & I've made it to Binghamton... Should roll into Buffalo at sunrise.

Ended up w/problems w/the front toe in & resorted to locking the steering wheel... the wheels were all over the place w/the wheel unlocked. The front tires will be worthless by the end of the trip but that's the sacrifice...

You guys are saints. Words don't do it justice

update - just talked to Peter 6:30 am - he made it in safe/sound - even made it into driveway!

Leo, Ritchie, Aaron & all of you who got this mssg going - you guys are real champions!

whew!

Daryl
ptravnic
The eagle has landed. The eagle is tired. The eagle is going to sleep...
Dead Air
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 2 2006, 05:22 AM) *

If I get my truck together some time soon, I should go over and wake him up!
I've got a customer right over at Main and Maynard rd.
type11969
hijacked.gif Hey Dead Air, where is that avatar pic taken? Looks suspiciously like a gazebo (sp?) in the Mohonk Preserve.
nycchef
pete glad to hear your alive. call me when you wake up
Allan
Way to go PKLSNFR!!!!!!!
ptravnic
<!-- quoteo(post=827864:date=Dec 2 2006, 09:51 AM:name=Dead Air) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dead Air @ Dec 2 2006, 09:51 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- quoteo(post=827840:date=Dec 2 2006, 05:22 AM:name=ptravnic) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ptravnic @ Dec 2 2006, 05:22 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

If I get my truck together some time soon, I should go over and wake him up!
I've got a customer right over at Main and Maynard rd.

Dave - Bring it! I'm going to be here for a few months. Give a shout. 212-286-0626 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              212-286-0626      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

-Pete
i love porsche
so where on rt 3 did the wheel come off? im assuming you didnt go back to find it?
Leo Imperial
Outstanding support team. Thanks Aaron and dad for the wheel, Richie for being the dispatcher and the Non-club for creating this network.

My ass is dragging. 5 hours sleep and I'm back to work since 6:30.
Dr Evil
I saw this last night and mapped it out, but I was too far away with out my car (Noel and mom looking at wedding dresses with it, me in room studying). I am in a hotel in Mt. Laurel, NJ for the weekend (cousins wedding). I am glad that yous guys could come through as I would have been busy until tonight. Gotta love this place biggrin.gif

Leo, NY? Jeez, you move like someone in the witness protection program. You and Richie gonna be roomies? spank.gif grouphug.gif "Oh smokey, come here idea.gif "
nycchef
Leo, NY? Jeez, you move like someone in the witness protection program. You and Richie gonna be roomies? spank.gif grouphug.gif "Oh smokey, come here idea.gif "

the program won't let me have roomies since that incident with the last one disapearing, but i digress...good job last night leo. it will be an honor to have you in n.y. (even though L.I. is really n.y. light.) so now that i put my car in so. jersey cause you were going to move there and we were gonna work on it together, should i head for L.I. or just wait until you decide where your going. driving.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Howard @ Dec 1 2006, 05:17 PM) *

Good luck. But remember, friends don't let friends go to Jersey. Use a bridge/tunnel and take your chances. happy11.gif

mad.gif
Dead Air
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(type11969 @ Dec 2 2006, 06:59 AM) *

hijacked.gif Hey Dead Air, where is that avatar pic taken? Looks suspiciously like a gazebo (sp?) in the Mohonk Preserve.

Big Moose Lake, NY
An island my family used to own before they got weird about the bills.
We called it "the house on the rock".
it's there above the banner in the forground
PinetreePorsche
'Teeners: i was a founding member of NEATO and LiMBO, the VW van clubs. For about 15 years they have had a "Transporter Tourist and Traveler Directory", updated in ink-printed about biannually. It sounds like some of you in NJ have a good personal network, (is it something I can sign up for in my area--DC?), but maybe we could use a printable list. The TTT list has options of: call me, tools available, space available, tech expertise, etc. Lots of good stories about members bailing each other out of difficulty. Makes for real peace of mind to have the directory in the glove box when you set off on a run. Can't we do that--maybe 100% electronically--print out the area you want at home and take it along? -Chris H. , DC suburbs
jet1
Way to go guys! Glad you made it home Pete. So where did the wheel end up? How many cars did it bounce off of before coming to a stop? biggrin.gif
Leo Imperial
That sounds sweet. Last night's road service was provided by a 74' Westy. A list does exist on this forum and others have printed it out in the past. I have never used it. I got great support by starting a thread when I drove from NorCal to NJ last February. The support on this sit is unique, much like the VW crowd. Some how assistance is always close by. The membership fee to be a non member of the non club is better than AAA. Lets all pony up!
Leo Imperial
He didn't even know it was gone until he pulled off the highway blink.gif
jet1
I hope pete doesn't get a call to talk about a wheel lodged in somebody's windshield! I bet it happened where you have to take the sharp ramp to get onto rt 3. he was flat towing right? I could see how he might not have known if there were three other wheels on the ground.
nycchef
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Dec 2 2006, 03:48 PM) *

He didn't even know it was gone until he pulled off the highway blink.gif

i can see how you would'nt notice a 914 with only 3 wheels. hell mine ran on 3 cylinders all summer and i never knew.
point here is everyone who can afford the membership should do it. we need to keep the club going. maybe make dr. evil an east cost admin. then

launch an ipo
sell shares
take the club public
insider trading
federal indictments
914's on 60 minutes= increased resale value
the future has never seen brighter! aktion035.gif
Howard
That's the best yet!! pray.gif clap56.gif av-943.gif

Maybe New Yorkers shouldn't own 914's. It's an attitude thing.
Part Pricer
QUOTE(nycchef @ Dec 3 2006, 08:17 AM) *

insider trading
federal indictments
914's on 60 minutes= increased resale value

av-943.gif av-943.gif

That is just too funny.

Next time I need a business plan, I'm going to consult with "The Chef" (that even sounds like a nickname used on a RICO indictment).
ptravnic
I did try to look for the wheel but the exit (1 exit past Grove St on Rte 3 heading wetbound) did not allow for me to comb the side of the road for more than about 200 meters. I took the Beetle on about 4 runs circling back & looked for the wheel while driving but it was dark and a lot of traffic (a shock in NJ...).

I knew something was amiss which is why I pulled over - couldn't have been driving on it for more than 1/2 mile. It was slow moving traffic & I didn't see any accidents when I circled back w/the Beetle. Damn thing is that I pulled into a gas station about2 miles earlier b/c the rear engine lid flipped up and I couldn't see the magnetic tail lights I'd hooked up... there were 4 wheels during that quick "pit stop". A couple quick minutes later only 3 wheels!!!

The effort the group made to get me moving was beautiful...
type11969
Thats great that no one got hurt (as far as we know) AND the car is fine, a PO with my 914 forgot to tighten his lugs, and when the rear wheel came off, it tucked up into the fender and screwed it up royally. Then the PO did a real shitty repair! Last thing Ray's old car needs is more accident damage!

Pete, hows the grad school app process going? I'm in the thick of apps and studying for GREs. Good times! Maybe some point this winter we will have a NEW field trip to help you with your 914 repiars/swap.

-Chris
ptravnic
<!-- quoteo(post=828544:date=Dec 3 2006, 11:46 AM:name=type11969) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(type11969 @ Dec 3 2006, 11:46 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
Last thing Ray's old car needs is more accident damage!

Funny you mention that... 2 of the fenders already needed repaired/replaced but now 3 of them do... I bought up a set of steel flares from a club member and pick them up this week. I have a replacement fender for the right front, now I just need a pair of rears, rear deck lid, and rear end panel. I've got a line on most of the parts - the cost of getting the put on correctly is the tough part... I've been thinking of buying a welder and trying to do it myself. We'll see

jdogg
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Dec 2 2006, 06:47 PM) *

A list does exist on this forum and others have printed it out in the past.

Donde esta??? Where is this list?

PS Glad to hear everyone made it home OK.
i love porsche
pete, i would say to buy a welder and do it yourself...if you practice and take your time it will come out great, if you spend about 1k, you can get a pretty decent welder setup (thats what i spent) and in the end, you have your car, AND a welder...instead of just a car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.