Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mountain out of a mole hill
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
demitristewart
i was replacing my front brakes (on a 75 914) and in the process i broke the hydroplic brake fluid line to the caliper -drivers side. i bought a replacment original metal hydrolic brake line and installed it.

i installed new rotors, calipers and pads for the front -the back is good to go, does not need pads or brake adjustment.

problem is, when i bled the brakes, nothing seems to happen -no pressure. i've bled brakes a thousandmillion times and just don't get it.

any help would be great. what can i do to get some presure in these brakes? unsure.gif
Rouser
QUOTE(demitristewart @ Dec 5 2006, 09:59 PM) *

i was replacing my front brakes (on a 75 914) and in the process i broke the hydroplic brake fluid line to the caliper -drivers side. i bought a replacment original metal hydrolic brake line and installed it.

i installed new rotors, calipers and pads for the front -the back is good to go, does not need pads or brake adjustment.

problem is, when i bled the brakes, nothing seems to happen -no pressure. i've bled brakes a thousandmillion times and just don't get it.

any help would be great. what can i do to get some presure in these brakes? unsure.gif

Gotta bleed the MC first, no pressure build up possible until then.
So.Cal.914
agree.gif Or put fluid in the reservoir.
demitristewart
I've kept the reservour filled, but i have not bled the master -something i've never done before.

I've done a lot of reading of articles on this website and I still don't get it. I guess bleed bleed bleed is the best answer for this.

How do I bleed the master cylinder while it's attached to the car? do I need to bleed the proportioning valve. Will switching to a T really make a huge difference in my braking?

Please help!
TravisNeff
Please explain your brake bleeding procedure - it may help with finding out where things are going wrong.
demitristewart
this is the process i've used for bleeding brakes.

in order;
passenger rear
driver rear
passenger front
driver front.

2 person team.
first way -pump the brake until all the air bubbles stop. once i see no air bubbles i tell the person pumping the brake pedal to hold it down. then i tighten the nipple on the caliper and move on to the next.

second way -i have the pedal person pump the pedal 5 times and hold down, then i turn the nipple and let the air out, then close. repeat until no air comes out and on to the next.

i always make sure the reservour is filled with new fluid. i still have a spongy pedal.

what kills me is that all i did was replace the two front calipers and one line I broke that goes to the drivers side caliper. this really shouldn't be this big a pain!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.