Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil system for track car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
I will be installing a fuel cell in the front trunk of a teener that I will be using primarily for DE and later some club or historic racing.

Since I will be removing the original gas tank and have some space to work with, has anyone seen a dry sump tank located in that area where the factory gas tank is located?
TravisNeff
I have seen a few cars with a peterson style oil tank up where the gas tank used to be - on the passenger side. Don't have any pics of it though.
jd74914
Hi Mike, Chris Foley might have a dry sump tank in the old gas tank area. I'm not positive that his is there. btu I remember seeing it in an odd place.
brant
I've seen many cars set up this way.

in fact, often if a round (peterson style) oil tank is used then the firewall into the passenger compartment is cut and welded back with a re-shape to allow the round tank to sit lower.

brant
MikeSpraggi
Thanks guys ........ just wanted to make sure I wasn't out in left field with wanting to mount a tank there. Now, need to figure out all of the particulars .... pumps, plumbing etc. Thanks again.
jeff
Check out patrickmotorsports.com they have pictures in their gallery of the front mounted tanks on some beautiful race cars,good luck! welder.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Dec 6 2006, 07:37 AM) *

I will be installing a fuel cell in the front trunk of a teener that I will be using primarily for DE and later some club or historic racing.

Since I will be removing the original gas tank and have some space to work with, has anyone seen a dry sump tank located in that area where the factory gas tank is located?

Before doing the fuel cell, you might want to read ALL of the rule books from the orgs you are interested in running with..it would be a shame to build the car for the class that has the least amount of restrictions and be left out in the cold with the other clubs/orgs
john rogers
You did not mention what engine, but if it is a four the tank can go where the batt used to sit if it is moved to the rear trunk which many racers do. If you have a six conversion in the future, there is the possibility of mounting the oil tank in the rear trunk as I did which gives a very short run from the tank to the oil pump suction.
jd74914
Mike, is this for the blue 2.7 you had?
MikeSpraggi
I have a 2.2L six, mostly "S" specs except with Solex cams, I will be putting this in a 1970, flared, 5 bolt conversion 1.7 I bought in Philly for $700 ... and it runs!

The blue '74 will be sold by this weekend. I'm only waiting for the title to arrive from the owner in Colorado so I can hand it over to the new owner .... sigh .... I REALLY wanted that car .....
Series9
Mine:

jd74914
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Dec 7 2006, 09:25 AM) *

I have a 2.2L six, mostly "S" specs except with Solex cams, I will be putting this in a 1970, flared, 5 bolt conversion 1.7 I bought in Philly for $700 ... and it runs!

The blue '74 will be sold by this weekend. I'm only waiting for the title to arrive from the owner in Colorado so I can hand it over to the new owner .... sigh .... I REALLY wanted that car .....

Not bad . . . the blue car was very nice tho
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.