Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Prince of Darkness is tempting me.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tdgray
I have stumbled across a tempting little MG and the Prince is calling me.

It is very rare and I do not think I can pass it up.

For this reason and due to that fact that the wife will kill me if I bring another stray home without releasing one... I have decided to put the 914 up for sale.

If anyone is interested please see the link below.

Not a perfect car by any means but a good on-going restoration.

I'm sure I will have another 914 in the future but I cannot justify three "fun" cars right now.

My 914 For Sale
Joe Bob
Lucas Prince of Darkness jokes.....

Brits drink warm beer because Lucas makes refrigerators.
No skyscrapers because Lucas makes elevators.
Dim, flicker and fire are the labels on Lucas light switches.

We'll miss ya Todd....
tdgray
Thanks Mike... I can always count on you... for what I don't know blink.gif
914rat
Come back to the light.
So.Cal.914
What model MG? A TD I hope, I don't know another MG worth getting rid of a 914

for.
PinetreePorsche
Or a TC even.... Or even an A? Slow, no doubt, but no one owned a MG T-series roadster for anything but the '30s-derived body--the A being sort of a poor-Brit's Jag, way back in the pre-war day. But yeah, it's a fun look. And wet when it rains. -good luck!
tdgray
Nope... something most people have never even heard of.

The cookie monster sings it best... "C" is for cookie... it's good enough for me. biggrin.gif
tdgray
Oh and there ain't no T in from of the "C" biggrin.gif
Joe Bob
Click to view attachment

Ya mean this?

6 cylinder in line, pushrod ohv.

Bore: 83.36mm
Stroke: 78.90mm
Cubic capacity: 2912cc
Power output: 150bhp @ 5250rpm
Oil pressure: Approx. 60psi. 20psi at idle
Grade of oil: SAE 20/50
Sump Capacity: 7 quarts (without filter),

Joe Bob
The Demise of the MGC
When the first road test reports on the MGC appeared, MG engineers could not believe that the press had been driving the same cars which they had! The general handling of the car was panned by the press, it was said to suffer from terminal understeer, and to be an unworthy successor to the Austin-Healey, which had by now been discontinued. The press did not like the fact that it was so very similar to the MGB, and felt that it should have been a little more modern in its interior appointments.

However, there are few MGC's which would actually fail to get round a corner - the understeer is not "terminal". Looking at the weight balance of the car (53 : 47), will show that there is obviously a preponderance of weight at the front of the car, but this is less than most saloon cars of that period, and of most pseudo-sports cars.
It is likely that two factors contributed to the contemporary feeling that the car was nose-heavy. Firstly, the car looked like an MGB, and it was expected that everything else would be like the smaller car. Secondly, it is likely that the press were lulled into a false sense of security by the quiet and smooth running of the car, which was at a far better level than any other sports car to that date. These two points combined, and drivers found that they were travelling faster than they thought they were, with the result that the next corner would not have been "on" in any car!

The poor reception the press gave the MGC undoubtedly shortened its production life. Its introduction was soon followed by the formation of the British Leyland group, and the fact that the MGC and Triumph TR6 were competing for the same sector of the sports car market. There was considerable feeling against anything emanating from the old BMC part of the group at the time, and it took only a month or so for the board to make a decision on the future of the model. The MGC was dropped from the range in 1969, while the TR6 continued until 1976.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I had a MGB GT....loved it....

Also had a couple of Austin Healys....loved them and hated them....
Eric_Shea
"Gentleman need not be motoring about after dark."
So.Cal.914
I had a healthy HATE on for my MGB, had to work on it all week to drive it on

Saturday. Used Sunday to get a jump on the weeks work...but it looked good.
Howard
Not to worry, Todd, you'll always be as welcome here as your are now. happy11.gif

And the good news is, Parliament just repealed Ohm's law, so your Lucas electrics should work now. poke.gif
GeorgeRud
Before I got my first 914, I owned a 65 MGB. Nice little roadster. You'll have fun with the MGC, but will probably miss the relative reliabilty of the Porsche sooner or later. I seem to remember playing with the MG as much as driving it.

At least it provided me with a chance to leard how to pull and rebuild an engine. The start of many years of mechanical madness. Plus, life is easy when you only have 2 fuses. If I remember, the goofiest part was the positive ground on the car. Mine even had the knockoff hubcaps on wire wheels.
Joe Bob
3.0 and 150 hp....not bad. Only a 4 speed though....I think it would be fun.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Howard @ Dec 9 2006, 08:20 PM) *

Not to worry, Todd, you'll always be as welcome here as your are now. happy11.gif

And the good news is, Parliament just repealed Ohm's law, so your Lucas electrics should work now. poke.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.