Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What causes bearings to look like this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike373
Finally got my case split on the engine I will be rebuilding..... The cam bearings look pretty torn up!!! Flaky pieces were coming right of them. What causes this condition?? And what causes the marks on the main bearings also?

Thanks,
Mike
mike373
QUOTE(mike373 @ Dec 10 2006, 05:48 PM) *

Finally got my case split on the engine I will be rebuilding..... The cam bearings look pretty torn up!!! Flaky pieces were coming right of them. What causes this condition?? And what causes the marks on the main bearings also?

Thanks,
Mike

More pics.............
Twystd1
Can you wipe off the bearings and take close up shots?

That will give us a MUCH better idea of what the problem is.

Also, can you shoot some pics of the rod bearings and the crank and cam journals?

AND.... What made you tear the engine down in the first place??????

The more data you give us. The better data you recieve.

Cheers, !!!!!!!!!!!

Twystd1
Twystd1
That was fast....

What else ya got..?????

C
smontanaro
When taking close-ups make sure your camera is in the correct mode. Many will have a flower icon for closeups (and mountains for far away shots). Your pictures look to me like you're either too far away to get a good close-up or you're too close for the "auto" setting.

Skip
mike373
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Dec 10 2006, 05:54 PM) *

That was fast....

What else ya got..?????

C

The quality sucks because my camera sucks... 2 megapixel. sad.gif

This engine has been sitting in my garage, waiting to be turned into a 2056. Finally got the fundage, so I opened 'er up. Main journals dont look too bad, a little streaking. Dont have the rods off the crank yet.

Mike
Twystd1
Just humor me on this....

also take a pic of the inside of the oil pump cover....

How clogged were the fins of the oil cooler? If any?

What did the oil look like when ya drained it?

What kinda crap did you find in the block after dissesembly?
(bearing metal, etd?)

Do you have naked pictures of Howard?

Forget the Howard thing.....

Just send up the pics.....

Cheers,

C
mike373
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Dec 10 2006, 06:11 PM) *

Just humor me on this....

also take a pic of the inside of the oil pump cover....

How clogged were the fins of the oil cooler? If any?

What did the oil look like when ya drained it?

What kinda crap did you find in the block after dissesembly?
(bearing metal, etd?)

Do you have naked pictures of Howard?

Forget the Howard thing.....

Just send up the pics.....

Cheers,

C

Hahahahahahha!!!!! Too funny... I will take more pics tomorrow. Done for the day.

Mike
sww914
Test the camera on your wife or girlfriend first. It won't help the bearing pics much, but it will make us all feel more generous.
john rogers
I've had bearing flake twice, once on a stock 2L with close to 150,000 miles on it and that was being beat up from old age. The other was in my 2.8L race engine after revving it to 7500 RPM repeatidly on a race weekend, the bearings were beat up. Happens to VW drag racing engines that rev to 10 or 11K RPM after about 10 runs too.
Jake Raby
Eroded cam bearings are not an oddity, especially with older sets and original, never before rebuilt engines...

What makes it worse are certain oils and people not changing them often enough.. Pennzoil and Quaker sludge are bad about this..

Its not uncommon at all..
URY914
Well lets see, the only thing that should touch those bearings is oil, so I say its oil related.
Jake Raby
You can also blame the stock oil pump and the factory oil filter housing.. When we go to full flow these issues are history..
jwalters
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 10 2006, 09:44 PM) *

Eroded cam bearings are not an oddity, especially with older sets and original, never before rebuilt engines...

What makes it worse are certain oils and people not changing them often enough.. Pennzoil and Quaker sludge are bad about this..

Its not uncommon at all..

yes I agree, sludge is very, very badd!!
Joe Ricard
Sludge comercials are stupid. except for the hot chick in the red whimp car.

Oh yea lack of oil circulation is my guess.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.