Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The First McMark/Raby 2056 Engine Build is now in my car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grimstead
More to come later, just had to get Aaron off my back. wink.gif

Major shout-outs to Craig Downs Aaron Cox & Mark De Bernardi, for all their help! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

This thread is under construction.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif popcorn[1].gif type.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif poke.gif
Mueller
clap56.gif boldblue.gif

congrats !!!!

Have a safe drive home Mark, the weather be ugly blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Grimstead @ Dec 10 2006, 10:25 PM) *

geee mark, you could have told me *why* you were driving down to smell-a ... rolleyes.gif

i've been sitting here all weekend watching the rain ...
dry.gif Andy
mightyohm
Cool!!! That means my engine is one step closer to completion too. biggrin.gif Let us know how it runs!!!
Twystd1
Greg,

I am stoked for you..

What did you think of the quality of the cosmetics of the engine?

Tin, bolts, shroud etc.??

I know of someone that was intrested in one of these engines. I just want to relay the data to him.

Straight from an owners perspective.

And how does it run?

Did ya drive it yet?

ENQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW..!

Cheers,

Clayton

c
Joe Bob
Well, bring it DOWN>>>>>, I am cultivating a English shop that likes my BAD TUB and we can dyno the MOFO......
Jake Raby
Cool!!

Mark has put a lot of effort into doing these engines correctly based on my kits.

I believe that anyone purchasing them is getting MORE than they pay for! Hell AA now gets 7,700.00 for a STOCK 2.0 build and its not much more than a longblock and on top of that iots 100% stock without any upgraded parts or procedures!

Keep us in the loop on how it performs.. Make sure to follow the break in procedures!
hydroliftin
Congratulations Mark on getting this one out and installed. We look forward to hearing heaps of praise from happy customers.
Aaron Cox
Jake -
i posted about jetting for this motor on your forums, but ill also ask here.

mark says it has a 9580 cam...

He has weber 44 IDF's, with 36 vents, 200 airs, 160? mains and 60 idles. waay big.

im guessing he needs 32 vents - what mains and jets do you reccomend for this kit?
Jake Raby
The engine has very little impact on jetting.. the VENTURI SIZE and elevation dictates jetting.. The rule of thumb for venturis smaller than 36mm is multiply the venturi X 1.4 for the main jet size for sea level operation. I drop one half ize per 1000' of elevation from sea level...

36 vents are way too big for a 2056, 32-34 will work best..
Aaron Cox
we are at 500 ft.....
32 x 1.4 = 44.8 - so i assume try a 140 or a 145 main?

55 idles?

200 airs?
craig downs
I had a lot of fun on Saturday working on Bill's car. We started off putting in the
front sway bar then moved to the engine install after lunch. It went in very easy with just a little snag with the heat exchangers and the cars wiring. We got him running
around 6 pm and he went for a drive. The engine fired right up although with the
huge jet that were in the carbs the engine was protesting a little bit. After a getting
the carbs dialed in this will be a good runner. Mark did an excellent job on his
engine, it was super clean and sound good mechanically. I was glad to be able to
be there to help out and met Mark.
Craig
McMark
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 10 2006, 10:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Grimstead @ Dec 10 2006, 10:25 PM) *

geee mark, you could have told me *why* you were driving down to smell-a ... rolleyes.gif

i've been sitting here all weekend watching the rain ...
dry.gif Andy

You know I'm secretive.... ph34r.gif

I had a great time being there in person for the first install and fire off. Everyone was a ton of help, I mostly just stood back and watched then stepped in for little stuff.

It was great to meet you Craig, have fun with your project! biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
more pics!!

craig - when are we gonna help you out? motor/car etc? lets get you running too....

and do you want to help me weld my muffler up? LOL
craig downs
That will be great lots of work to do if your ever bored.
When ever your muff or do you still call it a muffler is ready
Britain Smith
Is there an options for these motors to utilize the stock FI? I don't want carbs.

-Britain
914fan
What did you have before, and how does it drive now? If the old setup was not stock, then have you driven a stock 914 and how does this motor compare?
What exhaust are you running?
Aaron Cox
im not bill and dont want to steal his thunder....

but i will field the exhaust question...
he has my old 2.0 HE's with my old Triad muffler....
McMark
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 11 2006, 11:56 AM) *

Is there an options for these motors to utilize the stock FI? I don't want carbs.

-Britain

Yes, but you end up leaving a lot of HP on the table because of the stock-ish cam. Aftermarket FI is an option.
Britain Smith
I thought Jake had some cams for stock FI.

-Britain
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 11 2006, 03:56 PM) *

I thought Jake had some cams for stock FI.

-Britain

he does... but DJET even with a 9550 FI + cam is leaving HP on the table compared to a wicked carb and cam setup...

it may be more drivable but willl make less HP.

PEFI can optimize a carb cam...
Britain Smith
Yea, but I hate carbs and they suck in cold weather.

-Britain
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 11 2006, 04:01 PM) *

-Britain

omg - lets not be purposely dense. im trying to help you here...

2056 carb kit. - can use a wilder cam that will make more power
2056 djet kit - more power than stcok, but the limits of djet will limit it from making the HP potential of teh carb kit.

2056 carb kit with PEFI - the power of carbs, but the tunability of FI and most likely better all around...

we know carbs arent for you... buy a 2056 djet kit or a carb kit and use ITB's and MS/SDS
SirAndy

then move to CA ... rolleyes.gif
J P Stein

-Britain

You must be talkin' about 2 barrel carbs, eh? bye1.gif
Trekkor

-Britain

Can I make a suggestion?
Let it warm up.

av-943.gif

KT
Britain Smith
I am being serious. My 1.7L is a daily driver and the last thing I want to do it be out there adjusting the carbs. The car has been rock solid and I love driving it everyday. I was just wondering what a simple rebuild to a 2.0L'ish size motor using the stock D-Jet would get me...I don't plan on it any time soon, just wondering.

-Britain
McMark
Guys, back off a little.

Britain,

There is a package that will work with stock D-Jet and it will make more power than stock. My car has that D-Jet cam in it (not for long) and it's a blast!

But if you use MegaSquirt or SDS (or whatever) you can get even more. That's why I'm pulling the D-Jet cam out of my motor and putting in the 9580. I'm expecting around a 20 hp boost.
914werke
that is the kit included "carb" cam (9580) . a stock "d-jet" cam" (?), or an "PEFI" cam ? confused24.gif
Jake Raby
Yep, I have excelent cams for stock FI, BUT the safe limit I found during development with them was 110HP with stock FI...

Keeping the stock FI starts the build with a compromise..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.